• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Razor gen 2 zeroing/tracking issue.

TerribleOne

Private
Minuteman
Aug 30, 2019
Hi all.
Tried zeroing my gen2 razor today at the range after installing a new sphur mount and after 20 rounds and a hour and a half of trying no rounds on paper at 100 yards.

I had previously zeroed the scope several months ago and got a 2 shot zero at 100 yards, and I always check and reconfirm Zero everytime I shoot.

Even the RO had a go and couldn't get it on paper. Has anyone ever had this issue, I'll be sending it Off to vortex to get them have a look at it.

Thanks.

Did you see any of the impacts on your misses? Did the impacts actually move when you input turret corrections?

From what you said, can I assume that the rifle and scope were previously zeroed together with different mounts, and the only change is the Spuhr? No new rifle or scope to the mix, only the new mount? Any other changes of any kind? New ammo, new suppressor, bipod, chrono, etc?

Did you double-check the set screws on the scope turret? Sometimes with those G2 scopes you can get one or more of the turret set screws loosen and then it's no joy. The turret will turn and click, but there won't be any actual erector tube adjustments at all.

Highly unlikely that it would be a tracking prob, as Vortex checks each G2 Razor before they leave the floor. Not a Vortex fan at all, but credit where it's due, these G2 Razors are some very good scopes and they claim they have yet to receive one back that genuinely doesn't track.

Also double check your Spuhr installation. Did you torque everything properly? Double check the mounting orientation? Is the rail still tight?

If you have a laser bore sighter, you could plop it in and then try some adjustments just to see if the reticle is actually moving, and how far off the reticle is.

First guess is a mounting error of some type, as that's apparently all that has changed in the mix..

If it is the scope, with those Vortex G2 Razors my first guess would be the turret set screws loosened. G2 Razor Vortex scopes I'd use a torque tool on the turrets because those set screws are known to loosen sometimes. I think Borka has a new one just for the Vortex scopes (8 in lb, twice what a NF uses).

Before sending it off I would cut the distance in half at 50 yards. Bore sight the scope by removing the bolt and lining up the bore to the center of a white target so it’s easy to see. You should be somewhere around an inch difference in POI once you move it to 100 yards. I’ve honestly always been lucky to be on paper first shot when bore sighting for 100 yards. However my last scope I wasn’t lucky. I was being stupid persistent and probably fired around 10 shots or more until I hit paper at 100 yards almost gave up and moved target closer like I’m suggesting and should’ve done. Scope was a Sb pmii.
I’m curious what the difference in height the rings were to the spuhr Mount also does the spurh Mount have built in cant?

Reactions: culater
Thanks for the replys.
I bore sighted at 100 yards onto a 10 X 20 inch backing target and dialled onto a 3 inch target.
What misses I could see seemed high, so even held to the bottom of the backing target to at least get a hit on paper and work from there.

Bore sighted multiple times and always had a different results, but not one hit on paper.

Unfortunately my range has closed for 6 weeks due to covid so had to use another range where I can't shoot under 100 yard's with a .308.

Upgraded from 1.45 seekins rings to a 1.5 sphur mount as have a seekins handguard on the way.

Checked everything was tight and level multiple times during the sighting.

Had a similar issue a couple of years ago with a Leupold scope doing a similar thing, it turned out to be a tracking issue with the scope.

cant say ive had that happen to the 2 g2 razors i have , you've made sure the 3 grubs are secure yes ? you are obviously zeroing with the Internal Brass screw inside the cap ?

When I get a new scope I pull the bolt and bore sight it that way, I then go to sight it in using a 36”-36” piece of butcher paper. It not only makes it easy to see hits but it will let you know if your scope is tracking

When I get a new scope I pull the bolt and bore sight it that way, I then go to sight it in using a 36”-36” piece of butcher paper. It not only makes it easy to see hits but it will let you know if your scope is tracking
I do something similar I use a 36" poster board like the ones you can get from the school/office supply section from about any store. For the first time zeroing a scope I put just one 1" dot in the middle of the board set it up at 100 yds if the scope is mounted correctly and the scope is at its mechanical default (unless the mount has built in cant then I dial down what ever that is) you should be on a 36" target if not something is wrong. IMO you don't need to bore sight or start off at 25-50yds I have never not been on a 36" target if I did the above correctly. Also those so called "scope sight in" targets are way to "busy" IMO all you need is one point of aiming spot to reference your point of impact.

Don't send it yet. Put up that same large paper at 25 yards and take a shot at center. Use the reticle to tell you the adjustment to get you about 1" low from your POI.

Also seeing as you zeroed before and now after changing mount you can't I would be looking at the mounting process and make sure everything is done right.

Also are you zeroing the turrets correctly as the Razor II is different than other scopes?

Reactions: Changed and M77
Thanks for the responses again.

Am definitely zeroing the scope right, as I zeroed the scope originally 8 months ago as per vortex's instructions and got it dialled in 2 shots.

The sphur mounted I just fitted is a sp4002. So it has no cant or MOA in built.

I spent a good few hours mounting the mount and scope to the rifle, making sure everything was aligned and torqued to spec.

I feel the best option is to send the scope back to vortex and have them inspect. And will try and borrow a another scope and try mounting it and zeroing to check the sphur mount.

Thanks

Why not try the scope on another rifle before sending it in? I would do that to try and make sure it could be a scope issue.

Reactions: Secant
I’m almost positive it’s not a scope issue since it was working just fine and now is not and you only changed the mount. Seems more like a borescope and zeroing human error issue. As mentioned start at 25 then 50 then 100 if needed. And you need to borescope at something smaller than a big cardboard backer. I usually try and borescope at a 6” target while using a big backer to see my hits. Borescope small, miss small.

Hi all.
Tried zeroing my gen2 razor today at the range after installing a new sphur mount and after 20 rounds and a hour and a half of trying no rounds on paper at 100 yards.

I had previously zeroed the scope several months ago and got a 2 shot zero at 100 yards, and I always check and reconfirm Zero everytime I shoot.

Even the RO had a go and couldn't get it on paper. Has anyone ever had this issue, I'll be sending it Off to vortex to get them have a look at it.

Thanks.
Had the exact same issue. Drove me and the RSO nuts. Shipped the scope back to Vortex and they found no issues. The rep did inquire what mount and torque specs I used. Swapped out my ADM mount for a SPUHR and followed the torque specs from the Vortex rep (20-25 lbs on the ring screws) and the mounting instructions to a T from SPUHR. Dead bang on. Problem solved.

Hi All.
After speaking to the agent here in Australia that deals with vortex, they told me to send in for repair or replacement, so will let you know the outcome.

Hi all.
Spoke to the agent handling the scope issue, and appears there's a issue with the scope. Just waiting to hear back from the technician handling the issue, about what is actually wrong and if it's a fix or replace job.

In the meantime I purchased a new nightforce atacr 4x16x50 F1 to replace the razor on my RPR .308 and couldn't be happier, zeroed in 3 shots at 100 yards and feels more comfortable on the .308. Will most likey sell the razor when I get it back.

This is the first Ive seen this, Following for the outcome
LOLWUT?

It's a mass-produced item. There will always be a small percentage that is defective and escapes to the market.

What is there to follow? That Vortex fixes it or replaces it with a new one?

LOLWUT?

It's a mass-produced item. There will always be a small percentage that is defective and escapes to the market.

What is there to follow? That Vortex fixes it or replaces it with a new one?

This week on, “As the Turret Turns...”

Bill’s razor has to seek therapy for some issues she’s been having. In the meantime, Bill is stepping out with a new scope. Will the therapy work for the razor? Will she be a new scope? What will happen when the razor returns?

False drama. Extended wait times. This place is better than a soap opera.

Hi All.
Forgot to update this thread.

Heard back from the technician, and they are putting it down to a internal failure.

They performed a tracking test, which it passed but unfortunately they don't carry out any recoil tests,they believe there is a zeroing issue when the rifle is being fired and it's affecting a more internal issue.

Vortex is replacing the scope with a brand new scope.

Was it sent back to vortex in the spurh mount? Seems to be a common mount that gives a lot of manufacturers scopes an issue

Was it sent back to vortex in the spurh mount? Seems to be a common mount that gives a lot of manufacturers scopes an issue
No, as wasn't sure if it was going to be a repair or replace, so didn't want to run the risk of loosing it.