• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Razor Gen2 still the best scope for $1600?

T-TurtleWang

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 23, 2020
Debating getting another razor gen2 for my next build or stepping up and spending the extra cash on one of these ZCO 5-27 scopes. Wondering if the razor is still the best scope for 1600 bucks or is there something better for that price tag.
Is the ZCO worth the extra 1700? I understand that the ZCO is top tier and the Razor is more entry level, but is the ZCO twice as much scope?
Was also looking at Nightforce but with similar new prices as the ZCO, I was leaning more towards the ZCO.

All input is appreciated.
Thanks

If I could afford a ZCO, I would get one. Highest quality optic I’ve ever owned was a Kahles.

Reactions: CSTactical
I'd take two razor gen 2. But thats me.

A 7-35 atacr would be high on the list for around $2600 or so though

I am new to the PRS game so take what I say with a grain of salt.

I have the same thought process as you. I think the Razor Gen 2 is a great scope for the money and for PRS shooting and is the scope I bought. It is a proven scope in this discipline and the price has come way down. If I have the desire and develop enough to to compete on the national level I will jump all the way up to ZCO since I will need all the help I can get to win at this level. I just do not see the cost/benefit to just jump up into the $2,500 tier (ex ATACR) for marginal improvement when you are trying to compete with the big boys.

I would buy the Razor and save the money or apply it to other needed areas of the sport until the lack of the small percentage of improvements are holding you back. Plus, buying in at $1,600 makes sure your rental fee for the scope will be very small if you ever sell the scope to move on up.

Last edited:
Nightforce ATACR 7x35 is worth the jump. I think I would even take the NX8 over the Gen 2. The old saying Buy nice or pay twice applies here my friend.

If the Razor's additional weight is not a factor for your use case, it is a great scope at the $1600 range. I had it mounted on my MPA Hybrid Hunter 6.5 PRC with Proof barrel, but recently swapped it out for a Minox ZP5, partially due to weight of the Razor. I moved the Razor onto my Cadex Tremor 50 bmg to help "weigh" it down - call me a wimp. but anything to reduce recoil on a 50 is welcomed.

Is the Razor still the best value for money at $1600? That is much harder to answer as there's been quite a few scope releases that have gotten rave reviews recently - Tract Toric, Element Nexus, Delta Stryker, etc... all in the $1500 range. But if I were in the market with another $1600 and scope weight is not an issue, I go for another Vortex Razor given its track record, US made and proven warranty support.

Last edited:
I think some of the dealers have that price if you call them on the phone and ask for their best price and mention this forum. I don't think you'll see a price advertised that low.

if mil l/e look at leupold mk5 your in the same price bracket direct mfg to consumer discount and shipping same warranty less weight brighter glass more reticle selection .... ok ok ok so to stay in the price point you give up the illuminated reticle... not a big deal to me. i say this owning 2x prexiously 3x gen 2 razrs and now 2 leupold mk5 with tremr 3 reticles which i consider an improvement over the ebr2c which is now on the sons rifle and one migrated to the wifes 223 trainer...

if mil l/e look at leupold mk5 your in the same price bracket direct mfg to consumer discount and shipping same warranty less weight brighter glass more reticle selection .... ok ok ok so to stay in the price point you give up the illuminated reticle... not a big deal to me. i say this owning 2x prexiously 3x gen 2 razrs and now 2 leupold mk5 with tremr 3 reticles which i consider an improvement over the ebr2c which is now on the sons rifle and one migrated to the wifes 223 trainer...
forgot to mention the mk5 is us made

Which Vortex Razor Gen 2 are you finding for $1600? I’m assuming you are talking new.
4.5-27 ebr7c can be found at that new quite easily

regarding NX8 versus RG2. quite the different scopes from my experience. but both very good for the price and focal range

Reactions: shoot4fun
while I agree they got to expensive considering the ATACR price since the price drop I can't say to much bad for it at that price point.
it's just been surpassed. like the leopold Mark4. they don't match what's available for the same price from modern optics

Reactions: CrabsandFootball
I looked at both the Razor Gen2 and the AMG. Price wasn’t the issue. Went with Tract Toric - newer design and best for what I wanted - benchrest shooting. Would like to buy a Vortex someday, though.

I am not knocking anyones decision and this is my opinion. I see a lot of guys bitch about the weight of the Razor Gen 2 and if you are using it on a hunting rifle or a rifle you are going to be lugging around I get it, but on a rifle you are going to carry 50ft from your truck and shoot either prone or on a bench WTH does it matter? The Razor Gen 2 was worth $2400 when it came out and it is definitely worth $1600 now IMO. The Razor Gen 2 is one of few scopes that has a infinite zero adjustment. If you and your rifle are capable your not limited to .10 MIL or 1/4 MOA to achieve a perfect 100yd zero. I understand for some that is splitting hairs (literally), but it is their if wanted/needed.

No complaints with my razor. Given I’ve never looked through anything nicer. Feature wise it there is nothing about it I don’t like. Weight is not a Concern to me. Not humping it through the woods.

Reactions: mercervillerental
I looked at both the Razor Gen2 and the AMG. Price wasn’t the issue. Went with Tract Toric - newer design and best for what I wanted - benchrest shooting. Would like to buy a Vortex someday, though.
What did you like more about the Tract? I've been wanting a Razor, but the Tract is tempting.

Reactions: Vodoun daVinci
I've got two Razors and like them quite a bit. As others have said, it's a good value at its current price point.

What did you like more about the Tract? I've been wanting a Razor, but the Tract is tempting.

Give the Tract a try. 30 days trial/return policy. So nothing to lose there. Great customer service.

In terms of glass quality I've only compared it to a Razor AMG and I thought they were both about the same in terms of sunny day clarity/mirage.

In terms of low light, Tract picks up light better.
35mils of travel on mine.
I find the mag ring and parallax to have the perfect tension.
I love how easy it is to lock/unlock the turrets.

I think the razor is the best scope up to about the $2500 point where you can get a ZP5 with MR4. Yea warranty may be an issue but it’s an all around better optic. After that I don’t think anything really touches it till you get to TT/ZCO.

if you put a KahleS 5-25, ATACR 7-35, PM2 or ZP5 in front of me I would pick the ZP5 everytime. Reticle and glass beats them all till you get to ZCO around $3600.

I like my razor, but it’s not even in the same zip code as a zco. If you can afford a zco get it. IMO it’s worth the money.

If the Razor's additional weight is not a factor for your use case, it is a great scope at the $1600 range. I had it mounted on my MPA Hybrid Hunter 6.5 PRC with Proof barrel, but recently swapped it out for a Minox ZP5, partially due to weight of the Razor. I moved the Razor onto my Cadex Tremor 50 bmg to help "weigh" it down - call me a wimp. but anything to reduce recoil on a 50 is welcomed.

Is the Razor still the best value for money at $1600? That is much harder to answer as there's been quite a few scope releases that have gotten rave reviews recently - Tract Toric, Element Nexus, Delta Stryker, etc... all in the $1500 range. But if I were in the market with another $1600 and scope weight is not an issue, I go for another Vortex Razor given its track record, US made and proven warranty support.
Aac cyclops will tame a little recoil off the bmg from what i've found.
To the op- I believe at the price point, the razor is very hard to beat. And if you don't like it, you can sell for little to no loss at that price point.

#1 was already a customer - had bought their 22Fire scope - had already experienced their great CS when I had questions before that order - for a <$200 scope purchase i was treated well, loved the scope and had no problems - heck they are right near me in Eastern PA if I wanted to drive over there

#2 if possible do not want to do business with companies that do business with China. I know that is tough. However, I see a new cold war developing and more American lives will be lost fighting Chinese interests. Reason I did not buy the Diamondback earlier. Want to send a message to scope mfrs that non-US is ok, but China is not. Why send any $$ to the enemy?

#3 razor 2 is an old design - a few minor issues (parallax less than 32 yards, bit heavier, dont like the color, etc.) - simply wanted something designed and built in the last year or two

#4 razor amg seemed more a hunting scope and that’s not for me yet - it was not the 30x or 56mm i got with tract, of course - my 2nd choice though - it was about $500 more and i could have spent the $$ without regretting it

I’ve looked threw and shot most all of them and I can’t tell 100 dollars difference between none of them when you get over that 2k mark. A sightron looks as good as any of them for the money

Go with the NX8. They now have first and second focal plane. Night force representative claims same glass in NX8 and ATACAR. Glass in my NX8 is brighter and clearer that my Razor Gen 2. Both are great for the money, using Razor for PRS and NX8 for long range hunting rifle. White plates are much easier to see than the details that you may be looking for on an animal, such as picking out a deer at 800 Stan doom the edge of a wood line. Spend your money wisely, buy once not twice

Call Sports Optics for your scope needs they will deal on price plus they are a world of info. Great people to deal with

Give the Tract a try. 30 days trial/return policy. So nothing to lose there. Great customer service.

In terms of glass quality I've only compared it to a Razor AMG and I thought they were both about the same in terms of sunny day clarity/mirage.

Totally agree. Bought the 4.5-30x56 and it just shoots and tracks lights out. German SHOTT glass but built in Japan. Quality stuff and the two owners are the guys who respond to your questions on the CHAT NOW button, and right away, not tomorrow.

no. no it's not.

the NXS is dead. thank god.
The NXS wasn't dead until today. There are still shooters that prefer SFP optics and that made the NXS a good place to be. Today's announcement that NX8 scopes were on the way with SFP option is a NXS killa' for sure.
I have several RG2 4.5-27 and a couple NX8 4-32 scopes. Overall, I still much prefer the RG2.

Reactions: Rob01 and b6graham
#3 razor 2 is an old design - a few minor issues (parallax less than 32 yards, bit heavier, dont like the color, etc.) - simply wanted something designed and built in the last year or two
This has honestly been the biggest driving factor for me looking into something other than the Razor GII. I know they're still excellent scopes, but I can't help but be curious about other, newer options. The parallax doesn't make much difference to me, but I suppose being able to dial in closer is a nice bonus for the Tract.
I have some time before my action arrives. I might have to test drive one to satisfy my curiosity between now and then. I'll buy a Razor if I don't like it.

I still like my NXS but I only paid $1350 for it. :geek:

This has honestly been the biggest driving factor for me looking into something other than the Razor GII. I know they're still excellent scopes, but I can't help but be curious about other, newer options. The parallax doesn't make much difference to me, but I suppose being able to dial in closer is a nice bonus for the Tract.
I have some time before my action arrives. I might have to test drive one to satisfy my curiosity between now and then. I'll buy a Razor if I don't like it.
Just remember the PM2 has been out for 20 years and still is one of the top optics you can buy, despite the price fluctuations over the years. Well featured scopes have a long life cycle. Tech doesn't change too much overall.

Reactions: Rob01
If it were me I'd be waiting another 3 years to get a tract. I want a company that's gonna last
That's just it. The razor is proven, the company is proven and you know exactly what you will get.

Lessor knowns and new entrants are a risk.

I tend to stick with proven platforms and let some other dude be the beta tester since most companies today just rush crap to market without real testing.

Appreciate everyone's comments. Id really like to try out the new ZCO but no one around me has one to look at. For more then double the Gen2 I don't think its worth buying without seeing one first. It might be worth it but that is something I will have to find out at another time.
For now I think im going with another Gen2. It just works, doesn't cost as much and has been around the block for a while so you know its not going anywhere.

Reactions: GhostFace
I have two RG2, they work great for my long range rifles. Though my ELR 338LM has a S&B PM II. For what I need the RG2 to do, they work great. I decide things by the words "Mision Specific". Make a decision by what you plan on doing with whatever and you will alway be a happier camper.

I have never looked at these before but now I am curious, I am going to buy one and try it out

Reactions: littlepod
I have never looked at these before but now I am curious, I am going to buy one and try it out

Do it and let us know how it is. I was looking at those yesterday as well.
Interested in seeing one in person.

Debating getting another razor gen2 for my next build or stepping up and spending the extra cash on one of these ZCO 5-27 scopes. Wondering if the razor is still the best scope for 1600 bucks or is there something better for that price tag.
Is the ZCO worth the extra 1700? I understand that the ZCO is top tier and the Razor is more entry level, but is the ZCO twice as much scope?
Was also looking at Nightforce but with similar new prices as the ZCO, I was leaning more towards the ZCO.

Thanks
Entry level? Haha, wouldnt go that far.

Been there done that. It works well for the intended purpose. I am at a position in my life where I can afford to have multiple rifles with their own scopes.

Yesterday I had the Leica, Tract, Razor HD AMG, and an Ares ETR side by side. Was pretty fun to compare. Too bad I don't have a 1000 yard range to test with mirage though so the comparisons are pretty paltry.

Yesterday I had the Leica, Tract, Razor HD AMG, and an Ares ETR side by side. Was pretty fun to compare. Too bad I don't have a 1000 yard range to test with mirage though so the comparisons are pretty paltry.
Would you order the optics the same way you listed them? How do the eyebox and parallax forgiveness compare on the Tract and Leica?

Thanks

The razor is an excellent scope. You'd probably be better off with a razor and 1600 bucks of ammo or components to train with

Reactions: Stoweit and Rob01