• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

RCBS 10-10 gives different readings.

RotARy15

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 17, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Just noticed that if I trickle up to a target weight and then tap the scale to cause it to swing, it will come to a rest reading .1 grains higher than when I trickled. This is perfectly repeatable.

What is up? Is this typical?

Re: RCBS 10-10 gives different readings.

Well I know there is a magnet in there to keep the arm from swinging wildly. So either your tapping is making the magnet stop .1 grains higher or the magnet is making the arm rise too little when you trickle. So what I would do is go down to a hobby shop and get some calibration weights and see what is going on. put powder on the scale to match one of the weights. dump the powder, replace the tray and place the calibration weight on the scale and see what happens. I have this scale and I am kind of interested in this also, But I don't go tapping on the scale in the first place....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broken_Reticle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well I know there is a magnet in there to keep the arm from swinging wildly. So either your tapping is making the magnet stop .1 grains higher or the magnet is making the arm rise too little when you trickle. So what I would do is go down to a hobby shop and get some calibration weights and see what is going on. put powder on the scale to match one of the weights. dump the powder, replace the tray and place the calibration weight on the scale and see what happens. I have this scale and I am kind of interested in this also, But I don't go tapping on the scale in the first place.... </div></div>

Well by tapping I'm only inducing the same movement that would occur if I dump powder from a case onto the scale and then wait for it to settle.

Rather than tap I could just remove the trickled charge and then place it back on the scale and it would read .1 higher.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Was yours made in Mexico?

Scott Parker(the guy who tunes scales) says the new ones made in Mexico are junk, http://forum.accurateshooter.com/index.php?topic=3782916.0 </div></div>

I'm assuming that info is on the bottom of the scale. Mine says Mfg. by Ohaus Scale Corp. in Florham Park, NJ.

so removing and adding one stick of powder (using varget as my example)and placing it back makes that much of a difference?

You have some kind of mechanical resistance, the magnet has nothing to do with it.

It could be dust in the floating agate V bearings or a burr on a knife edge but it's more likely you have the pivot shaft rubbing at one end on the bearing retaining clips - center the shaft and it's likely to work as smoothly as ever.

Send it to Scotty and for a very reasonable charge you will end up with one of the best finely tweaked and tuned beam scales available and will have a lifetime of bliss and not second guessing your equipment which can save lots of $ over the long run and be easy on your brain.
Fixing your own transmission can cost double the price of a new one lol.

My 1010 has the Florham park NJ cast into it also. The box says "Made in Mexico". The scale is the worst I have ever seen. In 1972 I purchased an Ohaus 1010. It was a beautiful thing to use. I have to agree with Scott. The made in Mexico scale is not good. This is the only RCBS product I have that is not top notch.

I use a 502 scale, and it does the same thing. I will trickle up until I'm one grain short, and then tap the scale to make it swing. It will land right on.

Any and all balance beams scales needs tuning and the blades sharpened. You can Google how to do this work yourself or find someone who does the work and send it off.

sent from RAZR Maxx HD using Tapatalk Pro

Well I know there is a magnet in there to keep the arm from swinging wildly. So either your tapping is making the magnet stop .1 grains higher or the magnet is making the arm rise too little when you trickle. So what I would do is go down to a hobby shop and get some calibration weights and see what is going on. put powder on the scale to match one of the weights. dump the powder, replace the tray and place the calibration weight on the scale and see what happens. I have this scale and I am kind of interested in this also, But I don't go tapping on the scale in the first place....

The magnet won't affect the beam's final position. It dampens the motion of the arm via Lenz's Law. That means the magnet is acting on the copper plate when the beam is moving (to resist the movement), but when the beam stops, so does the effect of the magnet.

When I used a beam, I found it was important to keep the pivot centered to prevent any rubbing. Also, make sure it's on a stable location and there are no vents or anything else that can cause air currents.