• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RCBS CHARGE MASTER STRAW TRICK

THE SENTINEL

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 7, 2005
USA
I read some where you can use a straw to improve the charge master
can some one explain?

Re: RCBS CHARGE MASTER STRAW TRICK

This is what I did.

Works out much better with certain powders (not ball powders for sure)

You can adjust the length and fine tune if you are going to run a lot of one powder.

It's not perfect, but majorly improved my powder throws!

1 out of 15 may be over, before it was more like 1 out of 7.

IMG_0246.jpg

I havent done this yet. I have the latest revision of the CM and my throws are good. I may get an overage once out of a tray of 50 cases, rarely any more than that. I have been very pleased with mine, only thing that could be construed as a gripe would be the speed. I wish it stay in high gear a little longer before slowing down to trickle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I havent done this yet. I have the latest revision of the CM and my throws are good. I may get an overage once out of a tray of 50 cases, rarely any more than that. I have been very pleased with mine, only thing that could be construed as a gripe would be the speed. I wish it stay in high gear a little longer before slowing down to trickle. </div></div>Did you try changing the settings according to the two threads above? I just got mine and it hums right along.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hill billy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I havent done this yet. I have the latest revision of the CM and my throws are good. I may get an overage once out of a tray of 50 cases, rarely any more than that. I have been very pleased with mine, only thing that could be construed as a gripe would be the speed. I wish it stay in high gear a little longer before slowing down to trickle. </div></div>Did you try changing the settings according to the two threads above? I just got mine and it hums right along. </div></div>

Negative, no adjustments to mine. I know they revised them and mine is the revised version. Do the mods help the newer ones as well?

I don't really know as I didn't run mine before I changed it. I will say that the numbered parameters were the same as the "before" ones listed above.

I tweaked my parameters and used the straw. It throws more accurately now and stays in high gear for as long as I want to set it. Good mod IMO.

The straw improves alone. It is no Prometheus, but it is more accurate wth the straw. I can't imagine it ever suffering from it. I use the CM for handgun and carbine in combination with an AP press and Lee charging die.

Nice thread. Makes me want to buy a Charge Master! Is the new Prometheus worth the cost with these mods to the CM?

6mmbr.com just had some tips posted yesterday about the CM:

<span style="font-weight: bold">Mute That Annoying Beep</span>
Some ChargeMaster users complain about the loud beep at the end of each cycle. There’s a simple way to silence the beep — and you don’t have to cut any wires or permanently disable the speaker. To mute the beep, simply hold down the Zero button until “beep off” displays. Repeat to restore the beep function.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Activating the Auto-Dispense Mode</span>
You can set the ChargeMaster to automatically dispense your pre-programmed charge as soon as you put the pan back on the scale. Simply press and hold the “Enter” button. The code “Auto” should then appear on the display. At this point, push “Disp” to dispense the first charge. When you replace the pan, the unit will automatically dispense the same charge. For some people this is an added convenience. You can always go back to the default manual dispense method by changing the dispense mode using the “Enter” button again.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Use a McDonald’s Straw to Reduce Over-Throws </span>
Jaco Brink provided another useful tip to avoid “over-throws” (excess charge weight): “The RCBS employee advised me to take a McDonnell’s straw (because it is thicker than a normal straw), cut off about a half inch piece and put it into the tube where the powder exits. This caused the last part of an extruded powder to cluster less, and reduced the amount of overthrows dramatically.”

<span style="font-weight: bold">Instructional Video</span>
The video below shows how to set up and calibrate a Chargemaster 1500. Be sure to level the unit carefully, both left to right and front to back. Starting at the 1:44 mark in the video you can see the unit dispense a 50-grain charge in 30 seconds. The slow, final trickle stage takes about half of the total time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwGrlzrVAC8

<span style="font-weight: bold">How to Shorten Dispensing Times</span>
The last tip is for advanced users only. You can alter the programming settings to speed up powder dispensing dramatically. One user reported that, by re-programming his machine, his cut his dispensing time for a 30-grain load from 22 to 13 seconds “with no overthrows”. WARNING: once you change the parameters, there is no “restore” command to set everything back to the defaults. So proceed carefully. The speed enhancement procedure is described on the pages linked below:

Basic ChargeMaster Speed Enhancement | Advanced ChargeMaster Programming Tips

I didn't know about the Auto Dispense trick. I might have to try it out next time.

Mine came from the factory with the auto-dispense mode turned on. I've been told that it is a better idea to leave it off so that the scale has enough time to zero out again after replacing the pan before it starts trickling another charge.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mine came from the factory with the auto-dispense mode turned on. I've been told that it is a better idea to leave it off so that the scale has enough time to zero out again after replacing the pan before it starts trickling another charge. </div></div>

+1

With the auto feature on, mine doesn't start to run the next load until the scale hits 0 and the stable light comes on.

Also, just loaded 50 last night and didn't have one overcharge. I juts got it a couple weeks ago, so I'm sure it's the newest iteration.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: One-Eyed Jack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice thread. Makes me want to buy a Charge Master! Is the new Prometheus worth the cost with these mods to the CM? </div></div>

the new one is definitely faster and more accurate than a CM ever could be

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kick-Ass</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: One-Eyed Jack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice thread. Makes me want to buy a Charge Master! Is the new Prometheus worth the cost with these mods to the CM? </div></div>

the new one is definitely faster and more accurate than a CM ever could be</div></div>

But can't you buy like a dozen Chargemasters for the cost of a Prometheus.....then which is faster?

I can 10 Buckmasters for the price of a Night Force. In the end they just do the same thing, right?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: One-Eyed Jack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice thread. Makes me want to buy a Charge Master! Is the new Prometheus worth the cost with these mods to the CM? </div></div>

Is the new promethius out yet?
If so im buying one immediately.

Geez, I was just teasing....
wink.gif

Is there an official cost on the Prom 2.0? Better question, is there an official wait time to get one?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beenjammin</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: One-Eyed Jack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice thread. Makes me want to buy a Charge Master! Is the new Prometheus worth the cost with these mods to the CM? </div></div>

Is the new promethius out yet?
If so im buying one immediately.</div></div>

It's out....but good luck finding one to buy immediately.

I emailed brand directly for one.

He told me hed email me when these were ready. But Ill bet that list of people is long also.

If we keep up this promethius talk, BOLTRIPPERs goona show up and post that picture again just to frikin tease us.

There is a waiting list for them. Last I heard the base model was around $2700. I talked to Brand in depth on density altitude last week but didn't ask how the Gen II's are coming along. But expect a long wait. Building these are just his side-gig.

Jason, you're too sensitive to be a mod.

make you wonder what his main gig is, if his side gig is in such demand and pulls in that kind of green. I wish I had people wanting to pay me 2700 for something I did on the side. Id retire today.

Well, if you have a Prometheus, I'm all ears. If not, enjoy your sour grapes.

i was just loading at Dirks house this PM.....and i showed him my stitches in my upper thigh..........Dirks says...."what did you do,....get in a knife fight with lowlight'....?

and yes it was i gen 2 i was using

Re: `1Q2

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JerkeeJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kick-Ass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, if you have a Prometheus, I'm all ears. If not, enjoy your sour grapes. </div></div>

Just cause you have something better doesn't mean everyone's jealous. I didn't know that owning a $2k powder dipenser was a prerequisite for making a comment here. Just pointing that your analogy doesn't work. I do agree that they are top notch though. If I had a ton of extra scratch I'd get one, but I don't so the chargemaster works fine. </div></div>

No, you don't have it, so you don't need it. You have never touched one, but have all kinds of reasons why it is not worth anything because you cannot afford/obtain/steal/whatever one. When you have owned one, used it extensively, and can quantify why it is not feasible; I will entertain your educated opinion. Until then it is uneducated and sour grapes.

You remind me of all the CQB experts that have never spent a day in the military.

I'm Jealous.

If I lived anywhere even close to you rich Texans I'd offer free door maintenance in perpetuity, just so I could use your Prometheus's. The observations, insults and witty banter would be a bonus!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JerkeeJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kick-Ass</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JerkeeJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kick-Ass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, if you have a Prometheus, I'm all ears. If not, enjoy your sour grapes. </div></div>

Just cause you have something better doesn't mean everyone's jealous. I didn't know that owning a $2k powder dipenser was a prerequisite for making a comment here. Just pointing that your analogy doesn't work. I do agree that they are top notch though. If I had a ton of extra scratch I'd get one, but I don't so the chargemaster works fine. </div></div>

No, you don't have it, so you don't need it. You have never touched one, but have all kinds of reasons why it is not worth anything because you cannot afford/obtain/steal/whatever one. When you have owned one, used it extensively, and can quantify why it is not feasible; I will entertain your educated opinion. Until then it is uneducated and sour grapes.

You remind me of all the CQB experts that have never spent a day in the military.
</div></div>

Wow, you're all butt sore for no reason. I never offered an opinion about, let alone said anything bad about, your glorious promethius, neither did I say that the chargemaster was its equal. I did offer the opinion though that you suck at making analogies. Learn to read and don't be so defensive.

By the way, I don't claim to be an expert or even close to it in the field of reloading. I simply enjoy rolling my own and shooting it. </div></div>

I can objectively define that you are a douche.

The ignore button will spare you any further suffering from my sucky analogies.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Wow, you're all butt sore for no reason. I never offered an opinion about, let alone said anything bad about, your glorious promethius, neither did I say that the chargemaster was its equal. I did offer the opinion though that you suck at making analogies. Learn to read and don't be so defensive.

By the way, I don't claim to be an expert or even close to it in the field of reloading. I simply enjoy rolling my own and shooting it. [/quote]

I can objectively define that you are a douche.

The ignore button will spare you any further suffering from my sucky analogies. [/quote]

Wow,you must speak from experience being a douche.

Yep the Prom. is a nice piece of equipment (I have touched one) but its simple another "tool" (pun intended).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow,you must speak from experience being a douche. </div></div>

That is a faulty leap in logic as the Captain clearly said,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I can <span style="text-decoration: underline">objectively</span> define that you are a douche.
</div></div>

The inference as to his douche credentials might be logical had he said he "<span style="text-decoration: underline">subjectively</span>" defines him as a douche.

Hence the charge is dismissed on flimsy preposition...

Its amazing how friendly banter between Jason and I, over a subject we have discussed many times, draws all the dumb fucks out.

Can a mod simply delete the last, say, 12 posts from this thread? I'd like to be able to come back here for all of the actual information provided before the catfight started.

I bought a McDonalds straw but it didnt fit in my orifice(insert joke here) My cm is 2.5 years old and came with the black plastic tray(if that helps)..any help

Straw didn't work for me either. Take another look at my pic. I think Wall Greens has these you can buy, animal hospital, vet, supply.

They work slick as heck because they fit snug.