• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RCBS chargemaster combo issues

Hannibalsnipes

Minuteman
Jan 28, 2012
Texas
I read through the past 5 pages and dont see a thread for this, so if there is one just post a link and I apologize.
I was reloading some .308 rounds yesterday for my new GAP10 and noticed my rcbs CM doing something strange...
I was making some test loads using Varget at 44.0 grains. CM would indicate that the load was poured and measured and would show 44.0, and then show the round count, and then a different measurement would display (ex: 44.2, 44.3, 44.5. I would take a pinch or two out and it would reflect the decrease of powder. I watched this happen several times and there was NOT more powder trickling. I rebalanced and recalibrated and still had the same thing happen about 6/10 times.
Any ideas on how to resolve this?
Thanks guys.

Re: RCBS chargemaster combo issues

That is because it is over throwing. They all do it, nothing wrong. It stops on target weight on the read out once it reaches it and then gives you the actual weight.

If you watch when it throws the last little bit sometimes it will throw too much and you will be able to tell once you get use to it.

The second number you are seeing is the correct number.

There are a good amount of threads with techniques on here that can help you minimize the over throws.

Scott

Cut a 1.5" piece of McDonalds straw and saw tooth the end of it and place it in your dispenser tube. Cuts over throws drastically. Pictures can be found on accurate shooter.

He's Right. They are so sensitive it takes a few moments for it to give you accurate charge weights. Hell, sometimes air conditioning will mess you up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aimsmall55</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He's Right. They are so sensitive it takes a few moments for it to give you accurate charge weights. Hell, sometimes air conditioning will mess you up. </div></div>

+1 on that, damn thing is sensitive. I'm not complaining, but let's just say I learned about the flow of air caused by my A/C in the garage the hard way. I read a few different posts about fluorescent lighting wreaking havoc on the electronics, but there was never any details provided about how, etc...are you running fluorescents where your CM is? Might there be some validity in these statements?

ETA: when you turn it on, give it a few minutes to "warm up" also. I usually go click it on, then come back about 15 minutes later, calibrate, then load...BTW - I tend to think the Starbucks straws are more durable then the Mickey D's straws. HA! Furthermore, they are a green color, making them appear to be a genuine RCBS product!
wink.gif

From the relative research I've done, fluorescent lighting seems to be less of the issue and the electricity involved in powering the lights seem to be more the issue. I read that people are suggesting not to use a tv or any major appliance in the same electric outlet that you have your rcbs cm plugged into. Theory behind it is that this can contribute to inconsistency in the electricity powering the CM.

Thank you for the straw suggestion. Saw tooth end into the dispenser or out of?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hannibalsnipes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Saw tooth end into the dispenser or out of? </div></div>

Out. Check out the link below.

Straw Trick

Let us know how it works out for you.

You guys might try a power conditioner plugged into the wall and then the CM plugged into the conditioner. Keeps the voltage the same at all times???

the straw trick is ok but it doesnt work as well as a piece of tape wraped around the end of the spout with a 1/4" or so hanging over. that works better.

i will also tell you i reduced my over charges to nearly non existant by using the clear glass door over the scale everytime. you dont think there is air movement where you are reloading but i guarantee there is. get close to it and breathe on it. thats enough to move it.

my .02

I too have experienced the same problem with an increase in indication several seconds after the feed has stopped. In my case I carefully closed the plastic guard around the feed and scale mechanism to shield the pan from air currents, just like I was trained to do in college chemistry. Sometimes two additional grains or more of increase was observed. I called RCBS and they told me to never closed the plastic guard as this created a static influence around the delicate load cell and caused reading errors. Doing as instructed vastly improved reliable readings but I still find an occassional over error. There is no mention in their instructions to warn about this.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1911fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Reprogram it!

This helps a lot. So does the straw trick, although I never heard of the sawtooth end part until now.

1911fan </div></div>

If you jiggle the bench the scale is on at the end of the cycle, it will mess with the zero and cause overthrows also. I do NOT have my CM and my press on the same bench. This is one operation that does NOT benefit from multi-tasking.

John

Varget is especially problematic with the CM. I've found that the McDonalds straw is still too large in diameter to reliably line up the granules single file, and a smaller straw works better.

I find that I must use the shield or I cannot ever get a consistent read. When the unit was new, I had problems with static from the shield. I rubbed the shield down with an anti-static dryer sheet and haven't had any problems since.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rookie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Varget is especially problematic with the CM. I've found that the McDonalds straw is still too large in diameter to reliably line up the granules single file, and a smaller straw works better. </div></div>

I have the exact same prob as the Op, but its ONLY with Varget. RL15 flows perfect 99% of the time, Varget is about 50/50 I think, but I have learned to deal with it.

I got my Chargemaster about a month ago and this thing rocks...

I experience overthrows with Varget, but thus far it doesn't seem as bad as some others have experienced; I had maybe 5 overthrows while loading 25 rounds yesterday and the worst one was 0.4gr over.

Definitely wait until the beep completes and it goes back to the scale from the charge count screen before pouring it!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Abq-Defense</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When you change powders, do you remove the straw to make sure none of the old powder is caught in/under the straw? </div></div>

I do...

Mine will throw 23.5 grs of Varget, spot on, 99% of the time (straw installed). If I need it to throw 23.0 grs, about 40% will be overthrows.

Heating/air conditioning vents are definitely your enemy.

Now I am thinking Varget might be the issue. I have had good results with it, but measuring it was what led me to buy a RCBS in the first place...

+1 on AC vents. Need dead calm. If you sit infront of it, wear a filter mask as exhaling can cause it to be inaccurate ( unless you use the dust shield)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1911fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Reprogram it!

This helps a lot. So does the straw trick, although I never heard of the sawtooth end part until now.

1911fan </div></div>

If you jiggle the bench the scale is on at the end of the cycle, it will mess with the zero and cause overthrows also. I do NOT have my CM and my press on the same bench. This is one operation that does NOT benefit from multi-tasking.

John </div></div>

+1 like any scale, surface it sits on must be dead still to be accurate.no huffin on the platen for you heavy mouth breathers
laugh.gif
and calibrate before every use.love mine, you can play with the numbers and speed up or slow down any section of the throw , just dont get wild with the numbers and give it plenty of time to trickle at the end that s where your accuracys at

and again .....refrain from fat breathing on the scale
grin.gif

"Any ideas on how to resolve this?"

My suggestion is to get a conventional powder measure, a beam scale and a trickler. Set them up for a smooth work flow path, learn to use them and they'll be as fast as a digitial dumpster. The only limit to accuracy will be YOU, not an over priced electronic gimmick that always needs a stable temperature environment, a clean and stable power line voltage and freedom from any significant magnetic fields near by.

All IMHO of course, but you did ask.