• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RCBS ChargeMaster McDonald's Straw Mod

3me

Private
Minuteman
Dec 20, 2010
KC
www.3me.us
I have seen several methods shown on the web about using a McDonalds straw to make the ChargeMaster dispense powder more accurately. One method showed cutting it like a saw tooth pattern and the other was cut off at a slight angle with a single point. Which way is the best, or should it just be cut off square? What length does it need to be? Any other mods for this device?

Re: RCBS ChargeMaster McDonald's Straw Mod

just cut it off square, maybe 3 inches, leave enough protruding so powder will drop in center of platen.

Use a snug fit straw, add a bit o tape to trickle tube and straw once inserted to keep in place. Cut to length, cut some teeth into the protruding end like a Jack-0-Lantern VVVVVVVVV. This will help the perfect kernel amount to be trickled. Works fantastic.

I use a McDonalds straw, cut off square, about 2.5 inches in length. Works just dandy!
smile.gif

J

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1J04</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Use a snug fit straw, add a bit o tape to trickle tube and straw once inserted to keep in place. Cut to length, cut some teeth into the protruding end like a Jack-0-Lantern VVVVVVVVV. This will help the perfect kernel amount to be trickled. Works fantastic.
</div></div>

+1

I've used both the straight cut and the "frilly dilly" cut straws with Varget. The one with the frill's works far better. Will actually drop one granule at a time of varget rather than the clumps it used to. I had to make sure that the base of the little "v's" didn't get pushed back into the unit's metal tube or then there was no benefit.

wow,,, this is a good idea... will need to try this especially for my varget drops. thanks for the good info.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1J04</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Use a snug fit straw, add a bit o tape to trickle tube and straw once inserted to keep in place. Cut to length, cut some teeth into the protruding end like a Jack-0-Lantern VVVVVVVVV. This will help the perfect kernel amount to be trickled. Works fantastic.
</div></div>

Here's a Link to see what the straw looks like.
Works great and really helps with over throws.

For some reason the McDonalds straws here in the UK are of a MUCH smaller diameter than those in th US! To get a good fit I took several lengths of straw, split them lengthwise and fitted them over each other until a snug fit was achieved. As a result the reduction in ID seems to work really well and I rarely get overthrows. Some proper US McD straws coming soon so I'm going to give the serrated edge a try too.

One thing I do when I switch powders in the CM is remove the straw and then run the tube empty - sometimes the odd kernel or two of powder gets hung up with the straw in place.

I too use the VVVV cut straw in mine and the cuts really help. I don't have to tape my straw in though, it's a pretty tight fit already and I like to be able to pull the straw out when I swap powders. I cut my straw about 2" long and it seems to work perfectly

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I too use the VVVV cut straw in mine and the cuts really help. I don't have to tape my straw in though, it's a pretty tight fit already and I like to be able to pull the straw out when I swap powders. I cut my straw about 2" long and it seems to work perfectly </div></div>

Its a good point about the straw already fitting tight enough and also being able to remove it when swapping powders.
That or you can tap on the tube as your dispensing the last of the powder to get over the edge of the straw.

OK I just tried this on my Hornady Auto Charge and it ROCKS!!!! Used a Burger King straw, a little larger than McD's with 2 wraps of masking tape for a snug fit and "teeth" cut into the end. The bulkiest powder I have is IMR 3031 and I ran 20 charges on auto/fast and they measured PERFECT, not a tenth over as usual and not a single over-charge. Great mod.

I took my chargemaster into McDonalds just to make sure the straw was going to work. I didnt want to pay for a drink if it wasnt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jig Stick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I took my chargemaster into McDonalds just to make sure the straw was going to work. I didnt want to pay for a drink if it wasnt </div></div>

lol, I only had to look as far as the back seat in my car

Arby's straw works the best, much better fit.