• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RCBS Chargemaster or other electronic powder scales/dispensers

I just posted this in answer to another "Which Dispenser?" thread . . . but based on what I read here, maybe the Pact I have isn't so bad lol.

======================

I've only used the Pact.

Cons:
- Scale readings fluttered every time the power cord wires were touched or moved until I put ferrite cores on both ends of the dispenser AND the scale power cords.
- The scale takes a bit of time to settle at zero; some have said its because the pan doesn't have a level bottom (wobble). Haven't tested that theory yet.
- With some powders, at some charge weights, at some humidity levels . . . the scale insists on throwing 80% of the charges 0.1gr high. Setting the charge 0.1 lower than the actual target works around that issue.
- In any case, once targeted properly the scale throws 80% or more on target, the rest 0.1gr low. Don't know how this compares with other units.

Pro:
- Trickling the last 0.1gr is easy to do quickly and without going over.

My understanding is the RCBS unit is a tad faster as well, which is useful even if you overlap seating the bullet over Charge#1 with throwing Charge#2.

Bottom line: The issues I have may be related to my unit alone . . . it isn't bad enough to throw away, but if it broke . . . based on what I know now . . . my next try would be the RCBS unit.

My Chargemaster throws heavy (+.2 - +.3 grains) consistently using RL19 & RL22. Once in a while it will send out slow only, taking ~50 seconds to feed a charge.
Seems to work better when it's room temperature rather than the 40 degrees in my garage....

I'll look for the straw mod.
Otherwise, don't know why I never had one earlier.

When I need dead nutz, I measure out with the CM and then finish on my Ohaus balance beam scale.
Why don't you set the throw .2 lower? If it is consistent you should be good to go.

I have a ChargeMaster and it works great. Three things that will help: The McDs straw mod in the drop tube makes the throws more consistent. Make sure the unit is sitting level. If the front is low you will have overcharges. The feet are adjustable, so you can actually use that to tune how it drops the powder. Lastly, go into the programming and tune that to speed up the throws. The trick is getting it to slowdown through the speed steps at the right place to minimize the over throws.

I've been dropping on the ChargeMaster and checking on an Acculab. The ChargeMaster does pretty well, about +/- .05gr.

Never played with the CM, but my route is a hornady throw that I DO NOT throw in the case, I throw it on the scale (in a pan), then pour to the case. Tad slower, but cheap and works for when it REALLY want it EXACT.

I do the same but the funnel I use has a static charge that will hold onto 2-3 kernels of powder (extruded VV570), which can be ~.5 grain total weight. When I use ball powder it's lines the funnel. Bought many plastic funnels hoping to find that one magic one that was NOT static-y, and no joy.

Go to Michaels Arts and Crafts, find the section on cake decorating and get one each of the #12 (.338), #10 (.308) and #5 (.223) decorating tip (steel). 99¢ each, act as a funnel which is MUCH easier to pour into and has NO static charge.
If you don't have a Michael's near you, you can get them online from Wilton:
Round Decorating Tips - Wilton

CakeTips.JPG

Why don't you set the throw .2 lower? If it is consistent you should be good to go.

I did originally but in my experience that's poor practice. Like having a scope that's not zeroed and aiming accordingly or having a bad slice and teeing off angled left of the fairway. Did a lot of both.
Found a straw that fits and now it's balls-on. What surprised me is learning that 1 kernel of slow extruded powder (RL22 or VV570) can be as much as 0.3 grains, while most are 0.1.

I have a CM and I like it very much. When using a extruded powder it has a tendency to throw a couple kernels over. It holds the scale at the weight it is set to distribute, which is just an idiosyncrasy it has--if you pick the scale pan up and sit it back down on the scale it will show you the true weight. The straw modification minimizes this tendency to a large degree. Other than this mine works very well, and it isn't effected by flourescent lights or my cell phone, both of which I use often. FYI I have a laboratory scale that is accurate way beyond what is needed for reloading, and it confirms that my CM scale is accurate to the advertised .01
I formerly had a Pact, and it worked well, but had the challenge of needing to go though a rather lengthy calibration process, every time you fired it up, or changed powders. It was also slightly slower than the RCBS

What is the straw mod?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

FYI, I use the RCBS relabeled version of this, and as I wrote above, I'm very pleased. Once in a while it will stop 1/2 grain short of the programmed weight. I called their tech support with a question and received a prompt, intelligent answer. He told me what to do (kernel gets stuck in the screw). Found out they also offer an upgrade to my RCBS for $75 where they replace all the guts and electronics and eliminates this problem. IF I wanted to have it serviced, it's only $45.
Damn. Made in America too.
I'll buy directly from these guys when I want to replace mine or upgrade it.

USA Made PACT corp digital scale and dispenser -- $219

dispenser_s.jpg

I did originally but in my experience that's poor practice. Like having a scope that's not zeroed and aiming accordingly or having a bad slice and teeing off angled left of the fairway. Did a lot of both.
Found a straw that fits and now it's balls-on. What surprised me is learning that 1 kernel of slow extruded powder (RL22 or VV570) can be as much as 0.3 grains, while most are 0.1.
I have taken samples of the powders I was loading a lot of (all extruded) to a lab and put them on a scale, one to find out: one- what is the weight of one kernel and two- how much variation there was between kernel weight, one of the things that surprised me was the similarity of kernel weights that were of very different burn rates! But, like you, I wanted to know the average weight of a kernel as it made it a lot easier to "pluck for accuracy"-I know -you know what I mean!

I have taken samples of the powders I was loading a lot of (all extruded) to a lab and put them on a scale, one to find out: one- what is the weight of one kernel and two- how much variation there was between kernel weight, one of the things that surprised me was the similarity of kernel weights that were of very different burn rates! But, like you, I wanted to know the average weight of a kernel as it made it a lot easier to "pluck for accuracy"-I know -you know what I mean!

Should be a 'LIKE' button somewhere....

And I got tired of my slice so went to the driving range and learned how to use my wrists. All that turning Japanese was useful for something. :p

+100 on "close drain mod". I will tell you that mod is a necessity. I thought I was the only person in the world that had that mod done.

Last edited:
Chargemaster & Giraud trimmer is the way to go. The combo has cut down my bulk reloading time to a fraction of what it was before.

I think that is a double sided question. What electronic powder scales for Precision reloads?I-> HAD<- a chargemaster and talked to people with other electronic scales and I would not have another. They are too delicate if you reload inside your house and the A/C or centrol air kicks on it can effect your PRECISION scales. My chargemaster that I had, I was using one day when my father-in-law called me. When I answered my cordless phone I had 45 grains of Varget on the scale but It went to zero. I told him something was wrong that I would call him back then hung up. The scales went back to 45. SO YEAH if a cordless will effect it what else will? Anyway my .02 cents is for PRECISION reloading go with a good beam scale.