• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

RCBS hand primer

bbowles

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 13, 2013
Missouri
I have the RCBS hand primer with the round tray that uses shell holders. I have used it some and not liking how it varies in primer depth in lapua 223 brass (from .001 to .009 and avg of .003). Got to looking at it and noticed the metal rod that you put in the hole that primers come thru is leaning to one edge of hole away from tray. Is this normal for this unit or could this be causing me problems? I put this priming rod in as instructed with round end down in hole. Thanks for any help.

I like RCBS stuff, but I was not happy with their hand priming tool. Mine was also sloppy, it bound, and was a general pain in the ass. It was about on par with the old Lee tool it replaced, if not a downgrade. I upgraded to a 21st Century Shooting tool and wish I had done it sooner. The difference is night and day.

Last edited:
I had nothing but problems with my RCBS unit that uses the shell holders. I gave it away. I haven't tried the RCBS universal unit that uses a universal case holder. I like the newer Hornady hand priming tool, much easier to use than the RCBS one. It uses normal shell holders.

Most of the time though, I use a K&M hand priming tool *** K&M Shooting - Primer Deluxe K&M Shooting Primer Seater *** It uses inexpensive Lee priming shell holders and it is adjustable for primer depth. You have to load it one at a time, but i really like it.

Many years ago my dad had the Lee priming tool. I swear he wore out 3 or 4 of them things. So when it was time for me to by my own kit, I spent the money on a stainless Sinclair unit. I have one for all the .308 based rounds, and one for the .223 based rounds that I shoot. Very well made, and a pleasure to use, everytime. J

I haven't used the Sinclair tool. The Sinclair tool is $120.00 plus $6.95 for the shell holder (their shell holders look a lot like Lee's primer shell holders). The Sinclair tool is pretty and looks to be made well. I'm sure it's a good tool.

The K&M priming tool is about 1/2 the cost of the Sinclair tool. I already had a set of the Lee priming tool shell holders. I really like the K&M tool. I like the way you can adjust the depth of the seater to whatever you want and how you want to bottom it out. I would imagine the Sinclair tool probably adjusts too.

The best thing was, I found my K&M priming tool at a local Gun Shop on the used tool table. It was nearly new and was $35.00.

Maybe someone who owns the Sinclair tool can chime in. I have no need to upgrade to the Sinclair priming tool.

I haven't used the Sinclair tool. The Sinclair tool is $120.00 plus $6.95 for the shell holder (their shell holders look a lot like Lee's primer shell holders). The Sinclair tool is pretty and looks to be made well. I'm sure it's a good tool.

The K&M priming tool is about 1/2 the cost of the Sinclair tool. I already had a set of the Lee priming tool shell holders. I really like the K&M tool. I like the way you can adjust the depth of the seater to whatever you want and how you want to bottom it out. I would imagine the Sinclair tool probably adjusts too.

The best thing was, I found my K&M priming tool at a local Gun Shop on the used tool table. It was nearly new and was $35.00.

Maybe someone who owns the Sinclair tool can chime in. I have no need to upgrade to the Sinclair priming tool.

I have the Sinclair tool. I got it a few years back because I wanted the ability to prime cases off the bench. I think it is extraordinarily well made. The grip is very solid, and gives you a really good tactile feel of the primer being seated. I've tried the rcbs, and it does work, but the construction is pretty flimsy.

I know this may not help much, but I use the Lee priming tool. It has a bit of a learning curve- if you don't hold it right it will jam up. But once I got the hang of it, the tool has served me well.

I always wanted a RCBS priming station figured a press devised just for priming would be more consistent than me using a hand primer.

I have the rcbs hand primer. I guess I am the only one that is satisfied with it. Primer pockets and primers are not all the same sizes. If you are new the hand primer, it takes time to get a feel for the appropriate depth.

I have the 21st Century Shooting priming tool. It is great. I am very happy with it.

Hi guy I had rcbs handheld& rockchuck prime too but I vote for hand one , convenient seat on sofa look
Tv , do the jobs , yea I know first I had some some issues , I took apart clean all burr in feed tube by file&sandpaper, event drill&tap ajust screw for seat depth of prime , the screw in between level& body
( machinist guys ) ,every things had price I vote for rcbs handheld,
Here the tip , drill press or hand drill,center drill ,#7 drill or .201 dia , tap 20x1/4 your can find all that @ home depot & grease the elbow,lol
Have fun gentlemen
The best for all

My RCBS hand priming tool has been flawless, I use it to prime 9 40 45 223 260 6.5Creedmoor 308 30-06, thousands of rounds have been primed with it with zero issues.

Anyone have same RCBS hand primer as I? One with round tray that uses std shellholders. The priming rod sits at angle leaning to one side of hole (away from tray). Didn't know if this was normal. I just haven't been happy with inconsistent seating depths. Maybe more the brass than primer tool? Maybe i am too picky but hate that can get from about .001 to .009 difference in depth with this tool.

Bbowles , that one of reasons I drill & tap put the screws a just seating depth of prime , they not dead on but vari fews thousands different , the fact D I Y to that adjustment screw , you will not disappointed

tandvu,
I am confused as to what I need to do to fix my RCBS primer. Can you give me step by step? Thanks!

Sorry , my bad , lol , if you have drill press with the vise that great , hand drill be fine , first take apart , lay the body in the vise face up where the body & level will contact , center drill it than drill thought to middle , drill size # 7 or .201 dia for tap 1/4 x 20 , easy find every hardware store, if you don't have drill press , little bit tougher , find you the square hold the tap & square together lightly tapping the tap until The tap stand straight , take your time tap it , now done tap , put the nut and screw in ( I use ssocket screw for my ) now level will stop by the screw wherever you want , I hope my spelling don't throw you off , lol
Good luck having fun , Bbowles
Sincerely

Last edited:
tandvu,
Thanks alot. Will try this soon. Do you have same RCBS w/ round tray and std shellholders as I do?

I use one of these and have for years. thousands of rounds.
Once you learn the tool as to angles and rolling the primers around a bit, they work great.
I am not familiar with the new universal tools, but do want to learn. My kids have a couple from Christmas but I have not had on in hand yet. Regards, FM

I prime Lapua 223 brass with 205m in a RCBS.
I did have issues with it. My technique. I have mastered it and it works well for me. Glad not to have bought more stuff. Main thing for me was to not touch the brass wile priming. Case floats just right in the tool.

Yes I did , I had 2 unit I know cap came off so easy , l had pick up prime all over my house , big fat rubber band take care my problem , lol
The best for all

Thanks for all the help! I will try all your suggestions and try to keep from having to spend more money if not necessary.

I too have had absolutely no problems with my RCBS primer. I have had to really jam some primers into formerly crimped cases; never had one pop on me. Only put 20 primers in at a time, just in case... Never look down into the case when primeing.

Do any of you have experience with the newer RCBS hand loaders that have some kind of adjustable shell holder? Still uses plastic and different pins? Regards, FM

I'm ready to take a hammer to mine. Last night I was priming 308 brass and 2x the tray slid out and I had primers all over the place. Duct tape works as well as the rubber band, but I'd really like something that I don't question "Who in the hell thought this design was a good idea?!" every time I have to change out the shell holder. Am definitely going to look at both the 21st Century and K&M primer tools.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That 21st century seater looks very good. Almost identical to the Sinclair. They also make one that you can attach Lee primer trays to.

I have a RCBS and it's a POS. I bought a Hornady and I think it's actually worse. I guess I will have to spend the money next time.