RCBS MatchMaster Dies?

Sooter76

Private
PX Member
Minuteman
Sep 14, 2012
Savannah, GA
So I'm starting to switch my seating dies over to micrometer adjustable competition dies for better consistency... For the most part Forster Ultra does. However, Forster doesn't offer a 7.5 Swiss die and Redding doesn't look like they do either. I’ve noticed that RCBS does make a micrometer adjustable competition seater die. Does anyone have any experience with these does? How do they stack up in terms of consistency?

Chesapeake

Robot
PX Member
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2018
Anybody used one of these yet? I’m probably going to order a set of .223 to try them out unless somebody tells me they’re shit.

BoltActionBrotherhood

The Sender
PX Member
Minuteman
Jan 17, 2019
NorCal
So the match masters are new, it sure seems people loved the gold medal match which is basically the old version of these. So I have to imagine they are great as well.
I am thinking of switching over to these because I am getting run out from my Hornady micrometer dies.

chevy_man

Major Hide Member
PX Member
Minuteman
  • Jan 25, 2019
    So the match masters are new, it sure seems people loved the gold medal match which is basically the old version of these. So I have to imagine they are great as well.
    I am thinking of switching over to these because I am getting run out from my Hornady micrometer dies.

Have you measured run-out, then ran those cartridges through the mag and chamber, and re-measured?

My dad bought the hornaday run-out tool and we played with it in a few rifles. We couldn't find a single bit of difference from the perfect rounds to the "horrible" ones. They all shot the same groups the rifle was capable of.

It's a seating die. So long as there isn't a flaw in the die and it's trying to press sideways it would be damn hard for it to be inconsistent.

RMB

Private
    Minuteman
    Mar 18, 2019
    These RCBS dies work well for me. I use 223, 243, 30-06 and 6mm Creedmoor. The concentricity is really about the same as the standard dies. I do have a set of Redding dies for a 6mm AR and the seating die have about 25% less 'runout' than the RCBS dies.

Dr. Strangelove_207

No fighting in the War Room!
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    May 27, 2020
    UK - Yorkshire
    These RCBS dies work well for me. I use 223, 243, 30-06 and 6mm Creedmoor. The concentricity is really about the same as the standard dies. I do have a set of Redding dies for a 6mm AR and the seating die have about 25% less 'runout' than the RCBS dies.

Perfect, thanks for the feedback!

S3th

Indecisive
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Oct 14, 2018
    Greensboro NC
    Ah interesting, thanks. Can you quantify why you prefer them please?

I just hated the Reddings adjuster; very skinny, and hard to read.

Forster is a great value for the price. I really have nothing against it and would use it if needed. However, I really like the bullet seating function of the RCBS MM Competition dies.

Dr. Strangelove_207

No fighting in the War Room!
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    May 27, 2020
    UK - Yorkshire
    I just hated the Reddings adjuster; very skinny, and hard to read.

Forster is a great value for the price. I really have nothing against it and would use it if needed. However, I really like the bullet seating function of the RCBS MM Competition dies.

Perfect, thanks for the info!

JimmyH

Private
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Nov 9, 2011
    South Louisiana
    What brand of neck bushings work in the RCBS Matchmaster sizing dies? I have zero experience with FL neck bushing dies, I only have Forster FL dies (no bushing).

Team RCBS & Bushnell

Commercial Supporter
    Commercial Supporter
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    What brand of neck bushings work in the RCBS Matchmaster sizing dies? I have zero experience with FL neck bushing dies, I only have Forster FL dies (no bushing).
    Use ours. https://www.rcbs.com/reloading-dies/neck-bushings/neck-bushings/494.html

I have a decent amount of personal experience with the Matchmaster dies now. I came from using the Hornady dies for years and their micrometer adjustment. I prefer the Matchmaster now by far, and the concentricity is better than I have experienced with the Hornady dies. The loading window makes seating a total breeze. There's an internal floating sleeve that the bullet drops into and a C clip catches it from falling through. The sleeve aligns the bullet with the case before they ever meet so they go very straight. I've only ran the seater on the Summit press so far, and I've only done sizing on a Rock Chucker Supreme so far, and those were with the FL sizing MM die.

The first time setting one up took some trial & error to get the seating stem in the right place as it can be put into a few different height positions, and the depth of the seater die took some playing around, but the next 2 I set up went really fast from the experience gained on the first one.

Putting the bushings in is fairly straight forward and they fit great.

We're working on jazzing up the Matchmaster die product pages right now, but I can give you all some sneak peak images we're looking to put up to show these dies off and how they work.

If you have other questions on them give a shout. I'll try to dig up more pictures.

WM

Attachments

• _DSC0098.jpg
      _DSC0098.jpg
      127.4 KB · Views: 25
    • _DSC0100.jpg
      _DSC0100.jpg
      138.1 KB · Views: 23
    • _DSC0105.jpg
      _DSC0105.jpg
      91 KB · Views: 24
    • _DSC0109.jpg
      _DSC0109.jpg
      263.7 KB · Views: 26
    • _DSC0119.jpg
      _DSC0119.jpg
      316.4 KB · Views: 27

Team RCBS & Bushnell

Commercial Supporter
    Commercial Supporter
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    More Matchmaster die pics - My loading bench has seen some things . . .

Attachments

• _DSC0027.jpg
      _DSC0027.jpg
      386.7 KB · Views: 29
    • _DSC0044.jpg
      _DSC0044.jpg
      253 KB · Views: 30
    • _DSC0048.jpg
      _DSC0048.jpg
      282.6 KB · Views: 30
    • _DSC0050_sml.jpg
      _DSC0050_sml.jpg
      249 KB · Views: 33
    • _DSC0076_sml.jpg
      _DSC0076_sml.jpg
      316.4 KB · Views: 29
    • _DSC0024_sml.jpg
      _DSC0024_sml.jpg
      427.8 KB · Views: 31
    Reactions: MCHOG

Islas82

Gunny Sergeant
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Dec 18, 2019
    North Las Vegas
    Use ours. https://www.rcbs.com/reloading-dies/neck-bushings/neck-bushings/494.html

I have a decent amount of personal experience with the Matchmaster dies now. I came from using the Hornady dies for years and their micrometer adjustment. I prefer the Matchmaster now by far, and the concentricity is better than I have experienced with the Hornady dies. The loading window makes seating a total breeze. There's an internal floating sleeve that the bullet drops into and a C clip catches it from falling through. The sleeve aligns the bullet with the case before they ever meet so they go very straight. I've only ran the seater on the Summit press so far, and I've only done sizing on a Rock Chucker Supreme so far, and those were with the FL sizing MM die.

The first time setting one up took some trial & error to get the seating stem in the right place as it can be put into a few different height positions, and the depth of the seater die took some playing around, but the next 2 I set up went really fast from the experience gained on the first one.

Putting the bushings in is fairly straight forward and they fit great.

We're working on jazzing up the Matchmaster die product pages right now, but I can give you all some sneak peak images we're looking to put up to show these dies off and how they work.

If you have other questions on them give a shout. I'll try to dig up more pictures.

WM
    can I use the FL die with out the bushing and still size brass? or do you offer a similar set without the bushing system

T-TurtleWang

Sergeant of the Hide
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Jul 23, 2020
    Anyone know if you can use Redding bushings in these dies? The RCBS ones are all out of stock or backordered. I bought the Redding ones to get started.

Hollywood 6mm

Old Salt
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Dec 9, 2013
    Flori-duh.
    Anyone know if you can use Redding bushings in these dies? The RCBS ones are all out of stock or backordered. I bought the Redding ones to get started.

Should fit just fine. I've got 3 different brands of bushing now, and I am 99% sure they are all the same size/outer diameter.

davsco

Private
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Jan 1, 2014
    NoVa
    i'm brand new to reloading, and got the rcbs matchmaster seater die for .223. so far so good, i like the ease of dropping the bullet in the window vs sitting it atop the case for my handgun calibers. nothing else to compare it to regarding quality, accuracy, consistency, etc.

Team RCBS & Bushnell

Commercial Supporter
    Commercial Supporter
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    can I use the FL die with out the bushing and still size brass? or do you offer a similar set without the bushing system
    The Matchmaster sizing dies are only bushing dies. If you don't want to use bushings then you'd want to just grab a regular FLS die, then a Matchmaster seater die, which we do sell by itself.

MarinePMI

Ban Cat Handler
    Staff member
    Commercial Supporter
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Jun 3, 2010
    San Diego, Ca
    The Matchmaster sizing dies are only bushing dies. If you don't want to use bushings then you'd want to just grab a regular FLS die, then a Matchmaster seater die, which we do sell by itself.
    Are these seater dies short enough to fit in a Forster coaxial press? I like the design, just trying to determine if they'll fit (6.5 CM specifically) under the yoke of the Forster. Some of the Hornady micrometer seaters just barely fit (like less than an 1/8" clearance).

Team RCBS & Bushnell

Commercial Supporter
    Commercial Supporter
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Are these seater dies short enough to fit in a Forster coaxial press? I like the design, just trying to determine if they'll fit (6.5 CM specifically) under the yoke of the Forster. Some of the Hornady micrometer seaters just barely fit (like less than an 1/8" clearance).
    I don't have a Coax myself, but I just measured the seater for my 6CM and it could be as long as 5.5" depending on seating depth and how you have it set up. The dial diameter is 1.025". With how I have my 6CM setup in my Summit, it's measuring right around 5" from the top of the dial to the bottom of the die body.

MarinePMI

Ban Cat Handler
    Staff member
    Commercial Supporter
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Jun 3, 2010
    San Diego, Ca
    Hmmm...Yeah, that sounds a bit long for the Forster, as they tend to have the die sit higher up. I wonder if a shorter micrometer seating stem would work?...just thinking out loud here. I know Hornady had to mod some of their early New Dimension seater dies, because they were too long for Forster presses (and we know how popular they are with the precision crowd).

Anyone else running these on a Forster Co-Ax?