• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RCBS Summit Press? Would you get one?

Saf3sh00t3r

Gen. Ho Lee Faak
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 10, 2017
    San Antonio, TX
    Looking at this press to replace my coax. Anyone have it and do you recommend it?

Thanks!
    Summit_9290_Down_ThreeQuarter.jpg

I just mounted one last week. Have only seated a hundred or so and sized a hundred or so but so far i like it. It is pretty stout.

I just ordered one. The Summit appears to be a copy of the Hollywood Senior from the Hollywood Gun Shop.

img_ABiGldoIAdzgtCQ.jpg

I'm guessing that RCBS had to do something to skirt the patents, so they flipped it "upside down" so the fixed part would be at the bottom and the sliding part would come down from above, and they reversed the relative positions of the shell holder and die bushing so the shell holder would stay on the bottom part.

What I like about this design is it does not put a lot of torque on the front edge of the bench. It's very annoying when the press torques the whole bench top and rattles everything on it. I've seen the stoutest benches shake. What's more, I've never seen one that does not. It would probably take a cast concrete bench. I considering that, but bought a Summit instead.

To upgrade the Summit, you can get a cross pin that goes through the linkage instead of the two bolts. It somewhat limits the height of the die you can use but there's still about 4 and 1/8 inches -- taller than any die I have. This pin should make the linkage even more stout that the Hollywood.

s-l1600.jpg

Also, you can get the short handle from RCBS, but I prefer roller handles. This one from Inline Fabrication is short:

IMG_1951_1024x1024.JPG

Another upgrade I see consists of a primer catcher with a tube adapter. I sort of doubt that I will decap much on the Summit. I will use my cheap Lee ABLP progressive with the case feeder. The Lee APP would also be good for decapping.

I most want the Summit for resizing rifle cases, and for bullet seating for rifle and handgun. I read some comments that it does not provide a lot of leverage compared to a Rock Chucker, but that it's similar to a Forster. I don't need to do any extraordinary resizing. I considered seating on an arbor press, but there is no die to do so for my handgun cartridge. I might get the Wilson seaters for my rifle cartridges to use with the arbor press conversion but I might also just get Redding seaters.

I don't have mine yet, but I am anticipating that one of the things about the Summit that will be different is the relative positions of the shellholder and the handle swing. Most presses have a handle swing that goes well below the press base and many people prefer to mount them on risers so they don't have to bend their back on the down stroke. I'm expecting the Summit will work better in a lower position because the handle is already higher. That means shell handling will be down around waist level rather than at my sternum.

I ordered mine from rcbs. That was a couple of weeks ago though

They and i believe all of those under the vista group do that. Unfortunately due to medical issues i do not qualify for that discount. One of the guys here at work just set his up said it was simply uploading his dd214 to the site.

Reactions: Sniperwannabee
    I got rid of the one I had, it was shit. Noticeable play and slop between the base and the shaft when sizing.

Garbage. Maybe mine was a fluke.

I have the red white and blue one, I bought it used off of this site. I freakin love it. I put it on an Inline quick change set up. It sizes br sized cases effortlessly. I can’t speak for seating, I only size on a single stage, I do everything else on a progressive. I also have a mec marksman. Both are fantastic but I like the summit for sizing better. It’s easier on my shoulder and a bit more consistent than the mec.

There’s a rock chucker supreme local at Coastal, if you want it let me know

I recently bought an RCBS Summit press. This cute little thing looks impressive. But there weren’t many reviews to look at. I’ve had it about a week now and I’ve tried a few processes with it. I’ve loaded mostly precision bottle neck rifle cases, but I have also tried a few things with straight walled cases.

And what a better way, then to do a side by side comparison with a Forester Co-Ax?

073FD8A1-A46F-4868-B2C3-227A929A6178.jpg

This Summit needed some tweaks right out of the box. In the picture below you can see the lever bolts. These have spring washers for adjustments. And to be fair to the people who assemble these…they probably don’t use one. Still, the whole mechanism had so much side to side play, that I had to tighten and adjust them a few times before I got it the way I like. Runout would have been a big casualty here with this kind of slop right out of the box.

2-E220-ED8-7-A89-43-F0-A4-C6-83-EB6-A565-AB2.jpg

I won’t mention specs here. Those are available on the RCBS website. I really wanted to see how a press that didn’t free-float like the Co-Ax would perform. Firstly, I must say that screwing in dies is a pain in the butt. The Co-Ax wins on this convenience by having a die slot. Die changes are very quick and easy. The Summit….not so much. Although this is probably a first world problem. The Summit also has a bushing that allows the use of larger sized dies. But that bushing would always thread out when trying to remove a die. A small frustration that the Co-Ax does not share. A picture below shows the bushing.

31-C38307-25-E6-46-FD-9802-497-F6-CB2-A899.jpg

The first thing I tried was de-capping. Not a precision step, but it got me used to the lever throw. I ended up switching the handle to the left position because I have come to do a lot of press operations left handed.

It felt very nice, after some generous lubrication on the piston and pivot points. (It was completely dry out of the box.) Here you can see the de-capping process. The Summit has a catch tray for spent primers. It holds about 70 large primers before needing emptying. I like the Co-Ax’s primer tube that routes the primers below the press better then this system. I attached a clear hose to its pipe that drops spent primers into a bottle below the Co-Ax.

9ED92E22-BA45-4D74-BB3E-165878358936.jpg

The next thing I tried was some sizing. To start, I did some .308win Lapua cases. Once I got the Whidden adjusted for .0005” shoulder bump, the Summit performed as well as the Co-Ax. Both presses are easily repeatable with this process. But case runout is a bit of a different story. The Co-Ax has a free float operation for the case and die. This uses the power of physics to line everything up. Typically, my runout with the Co-Ax is in the range of .00125”. The best I could manage with Summit was .00350”.

5-A204713-4-EF7-4-CAA-AA7-D-0-F988-E394842.jpg

I should note that I use my Co-Ax to prime. The Summit doesn’t have an “on the press” system to prime. I guess… unless you had a priming die set up like Lee, you could use it on the Summit…(?).

The last thing I tried with a bottle neck case was seating. Here the Summit did ok on seating depth repeatability. But because of the case runout, I found myself not seating a lot of precision rounds (only 6) with the Summit.

AB1-E79-C0-18-C3-4303-9537-24-C31-B432986.jpg

Seating and sizing operations with straight walled cases aren’t as important to me as the precision bottle neck cases. Here, the Summit performed admirably. Sorry, I didn’t measure runout on the .38spl cases I tried (who really does that with pistol calibers?).

So all in all, the Summit is a keeper. It feels great. The operation is smooth and firm, after the before mentioned adjustments and lubing I had to make. I just won’t be doing any precision ssizing operations on it. But it will get a lot of use in my loading room.

I’ll try and chime in after a few months with some more observations.

Last edited:
    Sorry to open up such an old thread, but I had a question for those of you who use one of these presses.

Has anyone else tried the pin on the top pivot?

(Above, you will see a short review I wrote on the Summit.)

maybe after getting a turret style press so I can stop having to change dies over and over just turn the turret and done .best of luck if you do get it .

Sorry to open up such an old thread, but I had a question for those of you who use one of these presses.

Has anyone else tried the pin on the top pivot?

(Above, you will see a short review I wrote on the Summit.)

no, but i loosen all screws on pivots, because i think i over tight them before. so I make that press (or the ram for die) is self centering for the cartridge.

I allso turn shell holder adapter AND shell holder to the press (not to myself what is normaly), because in this position is cartridge in line with the die, when I have adapter and shell holder turn to me, I see that brass was a little sloping to one side when brass goes in the die.

but i like the press, because it's mobile. i have a 10x10'' plate beneath, and it's super stable.

but runout cant be because of seating die, it should be because of sizing die that is benting the neck. i think even press cant produce run out; only bented necks produse runout.

Yes, I agree. I re-worded a few lines above to clarify myself.

I haven't had to turn the shell holder around. And I wouldn't loosen the bolts like you've done. But, if it works for you...go for it.

I use Whidden FL sizer on the Summit and LE seater with the KM arbor press. Dropped the loaded round on a cheap Hornady concentricity gauge afterwards and bullet run out is no more than 0.002”. Quick small push with the push screw on the unit and concentricity is without 0.0002” . What am I missing?

I had one, it was very good for seating bullets- the bit of slop in the assembly helped it to sort of self-center. So concentricity and seating depth were pretty consistent.

However, re-sizing brass was a nightmare. The shoulder run-outs were huge, and concentricity was abysmal. Plus, the force required to re-size 6.5 creedmoor or .308 brass was insane, there is very little mechanical advantage in that setup, so it was always a fight, regardless of the lube used.

That little cam piece of pot metal at the top was the weak point. I think I replaced mine 5 times in 3 years. Plus I had two different handles break off, one was the stick handle and the other was a roller handle- the excessive force due to such little mechanical advantage was to blame as far as I could tell considering the handles were very snug against that cam piece.

I ended up replacing some parts and selling mine, I would not buy one again. I bought the RCBS Rebel (had the same footprint so my in-line mounts would work) and all of my brass resizing has been a dream. Shoulder run out is almost non-existent, and it takes so much less force to resize brass.

I had one, it was very good for seating bullets- the bit of slop in the assembly helped it to sort of self-center. So concentricity and seating depth were pretty consistent.

However, re-sizing brass was a nightmare. The shoulder run-outs were huge, and concentricity was abysmal. Plus, the force required to re-size 6.5 creedmoor or .308 brass was insane, there is very little mechanical advantage in that setup, so it was always a fight, regardless of the lube used.

That little cam piece of pot metal at the top was the weak point. I think I replaced mine 5 times in 3 years. Plus I had two different handles break off, one was the stick handle and the other was a roller handle- the excessive force due to such little mechanical advantage was to blame as far as I could tell considering the handles were very snug against that cam piece.

I ended up replacing some parts and selling mine, I would not buy one again. I bought the RCBS Rebel (had the same footprint so my in-line mounts would work) and all of my brass resizing has been a dream. Shoulder run out is almost non-existent, and it takes so much less force to resize brass.

Had my summit for 7 years and haven’t encountered mechanical issues. No problem with sizing what so ever. I used to have their Progressive Master and I just love this one over that more. I use One-Shot spray lube and never had a problem. Maybe I got the one made on Tuesday.

I modyfied all three cross pins.

preša RCBS Summit os 2.jpg

upper because you can destroy your press, and other two because their pins are too short and linkage is at threads, not at full body on the pin.

and because I modified upper pin, I cant use long seating dies. I shorten excessive seating pin on Forster seating die.

and yes, I think this press has a lot of play in it and re-sizing and seating can be very inconsistent, if you dont contact your die to shellholder.

so all in all, this press is for those who need portable or/and arbor press. others should awoid it. imho.

Wow… never had that problem… I don’t shoot paper but I’ve had mine for 7 years now and I’ve put 1/4” at 100 and 1.5” at 500 and killed multiple bucks at over 700 and maybe I just got lucky.

I just don’t see how anyone can break this beast unless you did not lube your cases or do it enough and had to put a lot of stress on those pivot areas. I’ve loaded 300 win mags, 257 wby mag, 270 why mag, 308 win , 7mm WSM, and 6.5 cm without problems…

it is a very common crack, because there is very small amount of material in the linkage:

images

but yes, you must put a lot of pressure into the ram. but you are pushing only on one side, this is the problem.

anyway, this is design fault. not reloaders..

and in mine press concentricity of the threads and shellholder realy sux. but it's portable, that's why I like it.