• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Re barreling a 243 remington 700

SanPatHogger

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2020
Its really a 78 sportsman. Thinking about re barreling for heavier bullets. I would like to be able to shoot 100gr or heavier bullets. Longer length for more velocity.
For my taste I think I would like a 28 inch fluted varmint or bull barrel with threaded muzzle to maybe put a suppressor on it someday. I see there are bullets up to 115gr, I think that's a little heavy. 100-105 should be good, I have some 90gr Game Changers and would be happy to shoot that weight. Looking to hit targets out to 1,000 and hogs to 400 or so. I've got a pile of 100gr hunting bullets.

What twist rate? I see 1:7, 7.5 and 8 are pretty popular.

Whats available? I see the Criterion prefits, with my taste in looking at almost $700 barrel. But looks like I could do it myself.
I also see lots of barrel blanks out there and here in the for sale section. What's the average price of machining and installing a barrel?
I'm in south Texas and would rather drive my gun to be worked on then ship it.

Thanks
Ron

1:8 would be perfect for what you’re trying to accomplish and also that twist fills the majority of the field in the .243. You will see some 1:7.7 or 1:7.5’s but I’m fairly confident that’s for the 115’s.

As for a barrel I believe on average barrel blanks go for $275-$350 and gun smith fees could be north of $400 to finish it. Completely depending on who does it.

One option you do have is Remage. It’s a barrel without a shoulder and a barrel nut that tightens it all together. I run a R700 in that configuration and switch between 260 Rem and 308 Win in 10 to 15 minutes.

You will need to purchase some equipment, but after that you have it forever.

Northland Shooting Supply, Patriot Valley, Bugnut are the three that I can rattle off the top of my head. A simple Google search would provide you a more comprehensive list.

A quality cut rifles blank chambered and fitted to action it going to be $600-700

The remage with button blank is about $400 ish
They tend to shoot well.

Reactions: Average guy
I’m shooting 115 out of a 1-8 criterion at 2950. No stability issues out of 1440 yards. I have had great luck with Criterion prefit barrels from Northland shooters supply.

I guess I will start putting away a little toward a remage.
Thank you guys. I appreciate first hand experience.

Reactions: EN2722
Its really a 78 sportsman. Thinking about re barreling for heavier bullets. I would like to be able to shoot 100gr or heavier bullets. Longer length for more velocity.
For my taste I think I would like a 28 inch fluted varmint or bull barrel with threaded muzzle to maybe put a suppressor on it someday. I see there are bullets up to 115gr, I think that's a little heavy. 100-105 should be good, I have some 90gr Game Changers and would be happy to shoot that weight. Looking to hit targets out to 1,000 and hogs to 400 or so. I've got a pile of 100gr hunting bullets.

Whats available? I see the Criterion prefits, with my taste in looking at almost $700 barrel. But looks like I could do it myself.
I also see lots of barrel blanks out there and here in the for sale section. What's the average price of machining and installing a barrel?

Thanks
Ron
I recommend 1:7.5. That will stabilize just about every projectile out there.

I used to live in San Antonio and even at that low altitude with high humidity and temperatures I would still have projectiles not stabilize properly with a 1:8. If you're looking for a smith down there, RedBeard does good work and is in the Corpus area.

Thanks
Ron
Go talk to Kyle at redbeard Gunworks in Portland.
I would go with the 1-7 or so, just to be on the safe side.
Hornady has a 103 and 108.
They would likely prefer to true your action, which is another 200 bones.
A McGowen 26" pre-fit in .243 sendero contour would run you 330 bucks, fluting is another 145.
You would also need the remage nut, I think 65 for the stainless steel.

So, your choices are, spend 800 or spend 400. depends what you're desires are.

fdkay's information is spot on.

Don't forget to add into the equation:

1)Barrel vise
2)Headspace gauges
3)Action wrench
4)Torque wrench

Some of these items may be borrowed from a close friend or shooting buddy.

Some may argue none of these items are necessary.

I recommend having your own tools and equipment, but that's just MHO.

Reactions: Average guy
Below is a link for a "custom" prefit. You can pick the contour, chamber, length, threads, etc etc etc.
Lead times are 4-6 weeks, we have the blanks in stock and we contour to order. All barrel nut orders come with a barrel nut (that we make in house) and threaded barrels come with a thread protector.
Alternatively if you want a shouldered install we will do it with the pricing structure in the link below however there are fees associated with additional services like stripping/cleaning/truing/etc as necessary.

Below is a link for a "custom" prefit. You can pick the contour, chamber, length, threads, etc etc etc.
Lead times are 4-6 weeks, we have the blanks in stock and we contour to order. All barrel nut orders come with a barrel nut (that we make in house) and threaded barrels come with a thread protector.
Alternatively if you want a shouldered install we will do it with the pricing structure in the link below however there are fees associated with additional services like stripping/cleaning/truing/etc as necessary.

Wow, more good looking barrels. I have heard very good things about rock creek. Thanks for adding more choices.

Reactions: bohem
Wow, more good looking barrels. I have heard very good things about rock creek. Thanks for adding more choices.
We have been using RCB's for about 5 years, they are excellent tubes to start from.

I contour everything in house so no waiting for exactly the contour you want, and if it isnt a standard option we offer options for custom contours

I've narrowed it down quite a bit. I think I'm going with a Criterion remage, 24 inch MTU. Been looking at bullet choices, lots of good choices in the 90-105 or so grain bullets. I think I like the sierra Gamechangers best. I have some 90s left, any advantage to going a little heavier? The difference between 90 and 100 is only 10 grains. I don't think hogs will tell the difference. According to the Berger twist rate chart 1:8 puts the 90 gr at 1.7sg and the 100 at 1.6.

Is there any reason to go with a 1:7 and shoot DTAC bullets? I see the DTAC comes with a ring nose that is supposed to be better for hunting.

I would also like to shoot varmint bullets. Hornady vmax comes in an 87 and Nosler has 70s. 1:7 would be way too much for them I think.
I would be ok with 2 dope cards or have 2 bullets in my BallisticARC app.

I'm just trying to get the most out of this project. I really want to push out to 1,000 or so yards and kill hogs and yotes.

You might run the 105s in a 8 and get some lighter varmint bullets to shoot if you want a multi purpose. Going to the 115 isn't necessary, but its nice for 1000.

Unless you are set on .243, I think there is some merit to going 6xc or 6cm. Both are more efficient and well set up to run the longer bullets.

Yea, I already have brass, dies, lots of different bullets... Probably going to unload a lot of bullets that I won't use.

Just punched in some numbers in the BalisticARC app. With a 70 gr bullet at 3,661fps its 1,056fps at 1,000. The 90gr at 3,200fps is 1,388 at 1,000 and a 115 at 2,900fps is still 1,567 at 1,000 yards. I think the retained velocity and energy at 1,000 is a big enough reason to run the heavier bullets. And there is a big enough bullet selection over 100 grains that I should be able to find a match grade hunting bullet.

Having 2 dope cards is probably too much work. A 115 will kill a hog and a yote...

Now to do a little more number running, do I get a 1:7 or 1:7.5

Thank you guys. I really appreciate the input.

Yea, I already have brass, dies, lots of different bullets... Probably going to unload a lot of bullets that I won't use.

Just punched in some numbers in the BalisticARC app. With a 70 gr bullet at 3,661fps its 1,056fps at 1,000. The 90gr at 3,200fps is 1,388 at 1,000 and a 115 at 2,900fps is still 1,567 at 1,000 yards. I think the retained velocity and energy at 1,000 is a big enough reason to run the heavier bullets. And there is a big enough bullet selection over 100 grains that I should be able to find a match grade hunting bullet.

Having 2 dope cards is probably too much work. A 115 will kill a hog and a yote...

Now to do a little more number running, do I get a 1:7 or 1:7.5

Thank you guys. I really appreciate the input.
Don't forget Hornady

ITEM #
6mm .243"
ELD® Match
.536 (G1)
.270 (G7)
1-8"
108 GR
Target/Match

6mm .243"
ELD-X®
.512 (G1)
.258 (G7)
1-8"
103 gr
Medium Game 50-300 lbs

I saw both of those too.
They should make a 110-115 eld-x. That would be nice. Or if sierra made Gamechanger heavier.

Just amazing the amount of velocity the heavier bullets hold at the longer ranges.

Anybody shoot the 115 DTAC with the ringnose? How about the 115 VLD hunters? Maybe getting off of gunsmithing sorry.

Keep in mind that just like Savage, a Rem prefit will be limited to the tenon OD as maximum without a specialty system like a Bugnut.
A "bull" prefit isn't going to be the same as a shouldered one.

Keep in mind that just like Savage, a Rem prefit will be limited to the tenon OD as maximum without a specialty system like a Bugnut.
A "bull" prefit isn't going to be the same as a shouldered one.
So what does that mean for me? I want a MTU.

You put me into a panic. But I learned something. Remington barrel threads are 1.062. A MTU contour starts at .951 and goes to .930 on a 26 inch barrel. So it should just go on easy. They offer a bull that is 1.013 to 1.004 on a 26, still smaller then the thread size.

An MTU on a hunting gun is a fucking truck axle. My wife has a comp gum with an MTU shouldered barrel. To get roughly the same weight and balance in her 223 trainer we went to a bull contour Savage prefit Criterion from NSS. She has a pencil barrel hunting rifle.

I run the same rifle for hunting and matches. I run a Remington varmint contour shouldered barrel and a savage varmint contour 223 Savage prefit as a trainer. I would not want to lug anything heavier around unless the walk from the ATV was very short.

I have not hunted with the 115 DTAC with nosering, but I have shot several thousand of the normal DTAC bullets in practice and matches. I would recommend going to a 1:7 twist. I have shot them from 1:8, 1:7.5, and 1:7. The 1:8 was accurate as hell in DA above 0 and didn't sacrifice BC at DA above 3-4k. In DA below 0 I had bad stability and accuracy issues. With 1:7.5 I have had no accuracy or stability issues even in very cold temps at low elevation, but they do sacrifice some bc in those conditions. The 1:7 will get all of that taken care of. I have not pushed them super fast out of a 1:7. I don't typically run them faster than 3000 fps. Some guys will push them very fast with 243. At 3000 in a 1:7 the calculator says they could start coming apart. They are over 300k rpm. If you get them to 3200 fps you might have to drop back to an 8 twist. 115 bullets in a 6mm are a bit of a balancing act. I've never had a DTAC come apart in flight that I know of, but the potential is there in the 243 with a hot load and a fast twist.

26 inch MTU should be here Wednesday. 1:7. I'm pretty big, I think I can carry it. Maybe I'll loose a little weight lugging it around. I carry a 28 in Remington 870 with a 9 shot tube and 5 in the saddle and a backpack for a little over a 2 mile loop, try to do it a couple times a week.

Its a straight 243, Hodgdon reloading shows about 2,900fps. I am going to get a chronograph in the next week or so.

I appreciate the input.

Does anyone have any idea where to find a shouldered .243 barrel? Preferably a medium or heavy Palma profile?

If you are looking for a blank so you can do your own lathe work, I would check with spr (bugholes). If you are looking to have a gunsmith do the lathe work, I would just check around. Most good gunsmiths keep an inventory of barrels and have standing orders with barrel makers. Someone will have one in stock.

I didn't know if I should start a new thread or bring this one back up. So I just came back here.
The barrel has been on for a while and a few different loads put through it.
Finally fired groups over a chronograph. 115 Berger VLD hunters and 115 DTACs

IMG_0692.jpg
IMG_0693.jpg
IMG_0694.jpg
IMG_0691.jpg
IMG_0695.jpg
IMG_0696.jpg
IMG_0697.jpg
IMG_0698.jpg
IMG_0699.jpg

Also forgot to mention
100 yards, 10 shot groups.
Prone on top of carboard in a freshly turned field. With a pool noodle rear bag.
Powder is a little hard to come by. I'm low on 4831 and have no 100v. So I put in an order for a 8# of 4831 at my gun club.
Also going to order 1,500 Bergers.
I'm thinking I'll up my charge a little and look for a little tighter group and velocity spread.
Also need to practice more and dryfire more.

41.0gr. Its IMR 4831.
The rounds are loaded to mag length. The jump to the rifling is HUGE. I think about .120. I painted the bullets black with a sharpie and shortened until the bolt slid closed easy with marks from the rifling in the black ink. WAY too long to fit in the magazine.
It will take a little more experimenting, but I think its going to be good.