• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Re-Bedding Question

69icarus

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 26, 2010
Bismarck, ND
Ok - I have a McMillan HTG that already had pillars installed at McMillan. I had it bedded to my Rem 700 action but it had the factory recoil lug when I bedded it. Now I'm putting another Remington 700 Barreled action into it with an oversized recoil lug. The question is.... Is the recoil lug area the only thing I have to bed since the action is already bedded? Thanks

Re: Re-Bedding Question

the best thing to do there is mill out the area in front of the recoil lug then re-bed just the recoil lug its self.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Id rebed the whole thing. </div></div>

as would i.

If the new action being put in is not the one it was bedded to.... there ya go.

Rem700 actions are all different.

If it IS the same action, you <span style="font-style: italic">may</span> get away with just redoing the lug area.

Thanks everyone.. Was just hoping there would be a chance! I'm going to rebed the whole thing..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Id rebed the whole thing. </div></div>

as would i. </div></div>

same here...rebed the whole thing

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stu6X47</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks everyone.. Was just hoping there would be a chance! I'm going to rebed the whole thing.. </div></div>
Good choice, that is the only way to make it proper..