• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reactive steel setups

Wondering if anyone has any fun ideas? DIY spinners, poppers, ect. ??

I used 2 3/8 and 2 7/8 pipe to make these that sit on 2 t-posts.
20180111_140952.jpg

I like that set of plates Frank has with the reset. I believe its in his bolt manipulation video.

Here are a few I have made, the fox and bullseye flapper are mild steel and ok to shoot out past 500m with my 243win, the bullseye flap is attached by bolts and a rubber strap, it mounts on posts on a slight angle to ensure the flapper resets into its hole. The hostage target is made from road grader mouldboards and cutting edges so is hardened steel.
018C281F-2BD9-465F-A1E8-3B6773733CC0.jpeg
08FB302A-94F8-49F7-BF86-37D91CA0012E.jpeg
F243A908-7C56-4A6E-B6AF-D95F9A69455A.jpeg
1D34A1C3-4C74-4AF6-ABB9-94DC9254329B.jpeg
4ECBFE7F-28E7-4DDB-8C85-0242D8E5E031.jpeg

there are jacks style targets also, they flop over. cheap and easily obtained

what are you guys using to hold up the targets? I have some heavy duty chains, but have to think there's something easier. Any ideas?

I have found chain ends up snapping after a few stray shots, so I have been using damaged ratchet strap webbing for swinging targets. You can just tie a knot or use washers and bolts at either end. I have a few of my old trouser belts from the Navy that will end up holding up some plates shortly.

One thing to add, if you have heaps of chain and limited webbing you only need 1-2 foot of webbing attached to the target then you can use the chain outboard of the webbing so it’s less likely to get shot.

I don't have any way to fabricate targets so one I use quite a bit is various rounds with a t post hanger.

Using both a post puller and driver and multiple targets I change scenarios all the time. The slap sound when hit is great and the posts last a long time. Sounds simple and boring but get allot of use and fun out of them.

We have used fire hose but hold up ok but at a gun range facility it take a beating we have found 1/2 inch conveyor belt works very well.

Reactions: gebhardt02
Target hanger material?
If you have a harbor freight nearby go get the tow straps. Last one I bought was about $12 and enough length to hang 6 targets I think

@MTyotehunter and @MTRecon

If you guys are ever over in North Idaho let me know. I have a Miller welder and a cutting torch.
I have a friend whodoes runs of AR500 and AR400 and has some nice big scraps left over often. .50 cents per pound.
You buy the steel and some gas for my torch and welder and we can make whatever you want.

ETA, this stands for any Hide member who has been on the site for a while if I have time to do it.

If I could ask (since I’m not far from you it sounds)
What is the thinner steel you friend has access to? 1/4? Might need some large thin targets for an upcoming ELR 22 shoot here.
Thankd

1/4 or 3/8 up to 1/2. I need to get a different torch tip to cut over 1/2 inch.
When I cut it really doesn’t transfer that much heat if I manage to do a good cut.

There are also some good companies like JC Steel if you want to go the commercial route, but for cheap targets or for something to hang in the woods and leave in place, making your own is the way to go.

Reactions: Rover31
cheap targets-go to the scrap yard I found some square steel from a tool & die shop/press that stuff has held up to 388 lapua cost under 3$ and they had holes already drilled out. bonus! they are 1/2 to 1 inch thick.

I really need to head to the scrap yard it seems. Have access to all the tools, just need a cheap supply of steel as someone recently walked off with half my targets?.

There sure are some lowlifes in this world... If you make some new targets, you could write your name or something offensive on the back of them with the welder. At least it will piss them them when they have to spend half an hour to grind it off after stealing them....

DarinC
If you live in MI I have a few extra scrap steel target I will give you .

I really need to head to the scrap yard it seems. Have access to all the tools, just need a cheap supply of steel as someone recently walked off with half my targets?.

Ha! I had a guy walk out into the middle of my range recently while I was taking a break from shooting. He looked at my target, scanned the area and then proceeded to pull the mount out of the ground and drag the target out of view.

At the time I worked for a steel supply and fabrication company. I had AR plate coming out of my ears so it wasn’t a huge deal, but yeh it still frosts you when a low life decides that the value of your target is worth more in scrap than his life.

You would think after seeing a target with your basic body dimensions with multiple impacts in the head and center mass area that should be enough of a deterrent against theft.

Tip for you. Look for places that build industrial furnaces. They are made from AR500 at a minimum if not 550. They need to be able to handle the heat cycles. Most of them are laser cut and the drops are normally round or square for ductwork. 1” + is pretty standard.

Last edited:
Timmy- I’m in NE, but I appreciate the offer

Not sure we have anywhere near the fabs industrial furnaces, but we have a major steel mill locally, unfortunately it’s a bar mill and not plate

Here are a few I have made, the fox and bullseye flapper are mild steel and ok to shoot out past 500m with my 243win, the bullseye flap is attached by bolts and a rubber strap, it mounts on posts on a slight angle to ensure the flapper resets into its hole. The hostage target is made from road grader mouldboards and cutting edges so is hardened steel. View attachment 7050607View attachment 7050603View attachment 7050604View attachment 7050605View attachment 7050606
That's the ticket for me right there

20190328_100347.jpg

Don't know who made this target that showed up at our range one day.

All you need is a place to drive a T post. Really like the plates oval slot that keeps the plate in place yet keeps it loose. Harmonics and movement give great feedback. One of the best targets I've seen yet it couldn't be simpler.

Reactions: kingston