• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Ready to purchase first ACOG-but can't decide-help

Substance-P

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2009
Indianapolis, IN
My SCAR 17S is in and I am going to pick it up soon-just in time to take it along on this summer's hog hunting trip.

I have purchased several EOTECHs before and like them for my rifles that I plan on using only in closer distances (like my bushmaster .450) or on my home defense shotgun setup. However, with the SCAR being a .308, I figured I might put something with a little bit of magnification on it. I don't plan on using the SCAR at [particularly long ranges per se, but it seems as though a little bit of magnification can help me get the most out of the rifle.

I have always wanted an ACOG but was never in a position to invest in one before. Now I have some funds cleared up and am stuck trying to figure out which ACOG to purchase. The SCAR is FDE and I am thinking about getting a dark earth bronw ACOG-I just can't figure out which one to go with.

The gun will be used on hog hunts and range trips. Any suggestions?

Re: Ready to purchase first ACOG-but can't decide-help

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YN*Dotte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I suggest this:

http://swfa.com/Trijicon-35x35-Acog-Rifle-Scope-P551.aspx

The reticle would be very handy, and easier/faster to get on target when hunting hogs. It doesnt have too much magnification to hinder you when up close and enough to hit hog sized targets from a distance. </div></div>

Thanks for the link-I'll check it out.

I've also been checking out the RMR combos but don't know about investing that much coin---but man are they cool.

Bought a 4X32 acog for 6.8 spc last year. It was the one set up with BDC lines for 6.8 and they make the same scope for 556 & 308. Big thing is it has red horse shoe ghost ring which at 100 yards makes a 8 inch circle. It also has red dot within the horse shoe. Very quick shooter, pull up bang kinda thing; the horse shoe really helps me center on targets. I killed a few caribou last fall and one was over 500 yards, but really it's a 300 yards scope for accuracy.

I like it so much, I'm going to buy another one just like her for an AR-10 338 fed I just picked up. I think the one for 308 is 3.5X35 but same reticle. I had that acog up on moose last fall at 10PM in sept and could still see the red enough to shoot if had been a bull.

On Trij site, they are listed for $1400, but I got mine for $950 so I figure around a thousand s just about right.

I'm also considering that 1-4 SWFA scope with red circle (799) and also looking at Leupold 1-5x24 with CMR2 reticle (900); but my better judgment tells me to just get another Horse shoe acog; luv that scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zhurh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bought a 4X32 acog for 6.8 spc last year. It was the one set up with BDC lines for 6.8 and they make the same scope for 556 & 308. Big thing is it has red horse shoe ghost ring which at 100 yards makes a 8 inch circle. It also has red dot within the horse shoe. Very quick shooter, pull up bang kinda thing; the horse shoe really helps me center on targets. I killed a few caribou last fall and one was over 500 yards, but really it's a 300 yards scope for accuracy.

I like it so much, I'm going to buy another one just like her for an AR-10 338 fed I just picked up. I think the one for 308 is 3.5X35 but same reticle. I had that acog up on moose last fall at 10PM in sept and could still see the red enough to shoot if had been a bull.

On Trij site, they are listed for $1400, but I got mine for $950 so I figure around a thousand s just about right.

I'm also considering that 1-4 SWFA scope with red circle (799) and also looking at Leupold 1-5x24 with CMR2 reticle (900); but my better judgment tells me to just get another Horse shoe acog; luv that scope. </div></div>

Thanks for the recommendation. Once you have found something that works for you-it's hard to try something else. Sounds like your ACOG has served you well so far.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Substance-P</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DP425</div><div class="ubbcode-body">consider this instead:
http://usoptics.com/product.php?partnumber=SN4-400 </div></div>

Thanks for the link-I'll take a closer look. Any particular reasons why you would suggest this over the ACOG? </div></div>

Having put 4 various ACOG's on various AR's (all 4X) I found the short eye relief difficult to get use to. In addition at ranges under 50 yards on moving targets aquisition is somewhat difficult and even more difficult at 25 yards. If you are only target shooting it's not so much of a problem but for hunting a problem. My last AR I went to a NightForce 1-4X24 NXS and the problem is gone with a variable. The USO scope sugested would also be an excellent choice for all around use. I think that's why it was sugested. If I had it to do all over again I would have bought the 1-4's rather than the ACOG's.

Only draw back I see from acog is that I hear the intensity of illumination degrades with time, and it costs 400 bucks to have it recharged;;; and more importantly the govt might (someday) restrict sale of acogs to the average everyday guy in the street; then how would you get it recharged? My nephew in Afghan sends me picts of his gear and has only the best lazer, ect. He sent me the site of his optics and I'm not even allowed to buy the stuff (Warrior Systems in New Hampshire). So I don't think at our current rate that those thoughts are not out of the question.

Half life for intensity in acog is 12 years; so I'm getting another one just the same.

I don't notice the eye relief problems. The horse shoe looks quite small when you first look at it, but is just right at 100 yards on the side of a moose or caribou, or bear or anything; at least for me it works as most animals I shoot at are within a couple hundred yards anyway and its always on.

Probably any circle close range scope works the same as acog, but ya know I feel pretty good about that little scope with horse shoe ghost ring so I'll stay with her.

This is great feedback and I appreciate it. Ia m in the midst of trying to match my rifles to different applications. When it comes to hunting, I currently have one rifle that is my go to short distance rifle (Bushmaster .450 equipped with EoTech) and I am finishing a build that would be my long range rig (5r in AICS with Nightforce 12.5-42).

Having said that, I see the SCAR being somewhat of an in between option with the portability of a short range weapon while using a round that could be stretched a bit further than the .450. Although I had just been thinking about an ACOG, getting something like the USO or Nightforce might be a good option as it would more squarely place the SCAR in the intermediate category of my rifles.

I like the TA11 ACOG for your application. My dad has one on an LMT .308 and I like the eye relief much better than my TA31.

he was the green crosshairs version (TA11-JG) . It slows for decent precision, but you can still pick up a fast sight picture with the fiber optic fully exposed in the day time. It's a great all around optic for a general use .308

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Santo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Substance-P</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DP425</div><div class="ubbcode-body">consider this instead:
http://usoptics.com/product.php?partnumber=SN4-400 </div></div>

Thanks for the link-I'll take a closer look. Any particular reasons why you would suggest this over the ACOG? </div></div>

Having put 4 various ACOG's on various AR's (all 4X) I found the short eye relief difficult to get use to. In addition at ranges under 50 yards on moving targets aquisition is somewhat difficult and even more difficult at 25 yards. If you are only target shooting it's not so much of a problem but for hunting a problem. My last AR I went to a NightForce 1-4X24 NXS and the problem is gone with a variable. The USO scope sugested would also be an excellent choice for all around use. I think that's why it was sugested. If I had it to do all over again I would have bought the 1-4's rather than the ACOG's. </div></div>

Yup, pretty much hit all of the key points.

I am really liking the Nightforce 1-4 option. I need to try and identify best retailers and determine which reticle and whether I want MOA or MIL knobs and then get a solid price.

I had a TA33RCOA4, a friend has a TA11 with the red horseshoe, I now have the exact same, the TA11 has a much better eye relief, and is much, much faster. I have a Leupold 1.5x5 Mark 4 with the CMR2 reticle, and I like the TA11 better, both eyes open it's just so damn quick and easy. Not as fast as a Aimpoint or EoTech but faster than a tube scope. Another thing I like about it is it's in my opinion better in low light, and needs no batteries.

I have had an ACOG and Accupoint. Now I have the SWFA SS 1-4x. I think the SS is a better scope than either of the afore mentioned. I would definitely consider one of those before you buy the ACOG. ACOGs are a great scope, but with all the SS offers vs the ACOG it would be pretty hard for me to ever want one again.

The SS also offer more than the Nightforce and a cheaper price.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheOneTwo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have had an ACOG and Accupoint. Now I have the SWFA SS 1-4x. I think the SS is a better scope than either of the afore mentioned. I would definitely consider one of those before you buy the ACOG. ACOGs are a great scope, but with all the SS offers vs the ACOG it would be pretty hard for me to ever want one again.

The SS also offer more than the Nightforce and a cheaper price. </div></div>

Which SWFA setup do you have? It does look like a lot of glass for the $.

TA11 3.5X is best of the bunch. Figure out what you really want to use it on and choose the proper BDC.

I have a TA11C for use with my Recon 16", it has the 308 carry handle donut reticle which works perfectly with a flat top mount and 75/77gr ammo in a 16". While all the reticles work well, I prefer the donut. BAC works really well for me, so I don't use an auxiliary RDS even with the TA55A.

_2237132.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Substance-P</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheOneTwo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have had an ACOG and Accupoint. Now I have the SWFA SS 1-4x. I think the SS is a better scope than either of the afore mentioned. I would definitely consider one of those before you buy the ACOG. ACOGs are a great scope, but with all the SS offers vs the ACOG it would be pretty hard for me to ever want one again.

The SS also offer more than the Nightforce and a cheaper price. </div></div>

Which SWFA setup do you have? It does look like a lot of glass for the $.
</div></div>

I have two of the SS 1-4x models. One with T reticle one with Donut. They both have exposed knobs and I put them in the SWFA Bobro mount. I sold the ACOG once I got the Accupoint, like the accupoint better because it was a variable. I had the 3x ACOG with green horseshoe. It was a good scope I just could not live with the small FOV. I thought I would be able to going in, just could never get used to it. Then when I got a scope with a true 1x bottom end i could not stand to use the ACOG at all any more. So away it went. The FOV on 1x is just sooo nice and so much faster than 3x or 4x. Then when I got a SS 1-4x, it did not take long til I sold the Accupoint and bought another SS 1-4x. The accupoint is a super nice scope and if low light is a persons main use then it would be my choice, but for other types of shooting I like the SS reticle and knob setup better. Plus the glass is just a touch better and is sharper to the edges of the glass where the accupoint gets just a little fuzzy around the edges. So that is my opinion of those scopes.

I like the Acog, but one thing for sure; all the discussion/comparison here about the 1-4 SWFA and ACOG really got me hot to look through one of those 1-4's.

How's the warranty on the SWFA's? Is their warranty similar to the Leupold warranty? Do they hold up as well as say Nightforce, Leupold, and Trijicon? Are they USA assembled or made in Asia?

All these scope companies should have a 30 day money back guarantee; ya in my dreams. No joke, SWFA should give ya credit toward another scope that they sell if you don't like your original choice, but I guess the nice thing with flat tops is you'll always have another one that needs a scope. We have (basically) tactical shops in Fairbanks & Anchorage. They will have an Acog, a few Mark 4's, couple Eotecs and Aimpoints but I've never seen that 1-4 SWFA scope everybody is talking about. Got to start working on the wifey to get me one.

The SWFA scopes are made in Japan. Warranty is lifetime. SS scopes are know to be extremely durable, as good as anything.

I got my TA01NSN-Docter used from a buddy for 400 bucks. I love this sight but learned quickly that it was not quite the optic for what i intended it for initially(3-gun use) because of the previously mentioned very short eye relief. Luckily mine has the docter that I use for the "reflexive" fire type shooting. I did however go with a different optic for my 3-gun AR but do love this optic. If your wanting a rapid or "reflexive" type unit the acog might not be the best choice.

M4-ACOG1.jpg

I dont know about all the quibbling about eye relief on the 4x acog . I have no issues at all with my ta31f even shooting fast at less than 25 yds . I cant imagine it being an issue with the 3.5x35 or the 3x30 acog . I know one thing for sure when I need my rifle I dont have to worry about turning on any switches adjust any nobs or turn any focus rings , it works 24/7 365 days a year.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jwb47</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have no issues at all with my ta31f even shooting fast at less than 25 yds</div></div>

what size targets?

You may be making 4x work fine, but 1x is faster. I shot fixed 3 and 4x scopes for years, when I got that accupoint it blew me away how much faster it was at 1x. Just like using an Eotech. There is really no comparison.

Re: Ready to purchase first ACOG-but can't decide-

Ya, you're right in what you say, I don't notice eye relief problems with my 4X32 for 6.8 spc. Of course, I have collapsible butt stock and the since I keep it all the way in (for riding on snowmachine and not hitting trees on trails)I usually end up shooting it with stock collapsed. Now I just looked out the window with the stag 6.8 and no eye relief probs / field of view problems for me. Not like I'm going to get a shiner with 556 or 6.8 spc.

Something to be said for it always on too and getting accustomed to not turning anything. I know I can hit game at 500 yards with acog, even if it takes a shot or two.

I still want to see one of those 1-4 SWFA's. If I had never looked through an ACOG at Bill's gun store in Fairbanks; I'd be ignorant about trijicon to this day and still have all leupolds on.

Thanks again to everyone who has weighed in. There has been a ton of helpful information posted and I really appreciate it...even if it makes the decision that much harder ;-)

I am exploring some of the 1-4 options (Nightforce, USO, and SWFAs). Anything to keep in mind when comparing the three?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Substance-P</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I am exploring some of the 1-4 options (Nightforce, USO, and SWFAs). Anything to keep in mind when comparing the three? </div></div>

I would give this a read. It should help answer some of your questions on the 1-4s

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...395#Post2495395

Thanks for the additional link to review. After doing some more research, I am really considering the NXS 1-4 vs an Accupoint.

I have grown accustomed to having a bright reticle on my EOTECH when hog hunting and I am concerned that the NXS will not be bright enough during the day in the same way the accupoint would be. However, the durability of the the NXS is legendary.

If you want the bold reticle, the accupoint with a green triangle would be very bold. That is the one I had and it really stuck out and pulled your eye to it. The Nightforce is pretty thin and does not do that very well.

I highly doubt the Nightforce has anything on a Trijicon in the durability department. Trijicon makes some very tough scopes.

Just one more plug on the SS scopes since I love them so much. I had my first SS and a 1-4x Trijicon at the same time and used them side by side. The Accupoint was sold and I bought another SS 1-4x.

how would you compare the brightness of the reticles between the SS and the trijicon? I would assume that the trij is a little easier/faster to acquire?

The SS reticle is pretty bright when turned on 11. But it is not quite like the Accupoint where it is always on and needs no batts. If having a bright reticle all the time is your biggest need/want, then the Accupoint is probably the best choice of the two.

I just got a TA 11 with the green crosshair reticle in a trade and so far love it. I compared with the TA31 and like this one more - better eye relief. I have not shot it out past 100yds yet to see how well the reticle works at distance but so far am very impressed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheOneTwo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The SS reticle is pretty bright when turned on 11. But it is not quite like the Accupoint where it is always on and needs no batts. If having a bright reticle all the time is your biggest need/want, then the Accupoint is probably the best choice of the two. </div></div>

Thanks for the comparison btwn the two. I am hoping to look through an Accupoint this weekend.

For a tweener rifle like what you are describing, I wouldn't look past the IOR 1.5-8. Solid little unit that works surprisingly well up close but can reach out with the 8 power also.

Well-looked through my first ACOG today...here are my thoughts:

I think I was looking at the red chevron reticle with fiberoptics:

The glass was clear and gathered a bunch of light, the chevron was nicely illuminated but smaller than I expected (what can I say-when you are used to shooting an Eotech, you forget what a normal size reticle is), but the most surprising thing I found was the eye relief.

I have heard about the short eye relief on ACOGs, but I didn't realize what that would be like until I had a chance to look through one today. While there was a lot to like about the ACOG I looked through (a fixed 3.5 I think), I don't know if I could adapt to the short eye relief.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wegner426</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For a tweener rifle like what you are describing, I wouldn't look past the IOR 1.5-8. Solid little unit that works surprisingly well up close but can reach out with the 8 power also. </div></div>

I took a quick look at that one but could only find it with a .223 BDC. Is it available in .308?

I used it on my cousins LMT, I think the reticle on his was 556 and the knobs were BDC for 168gr 308 so you could hold or dial. Would need to double check this one though before I said for sure.

The 1.5-8x IOR only has the one reticle an it is for 223. However you could get the Spartan 2-12 that has a BDC knob for 168 grain .308s.

IORs have great glass, I have had 6 or 7 different IORs and they always had great glass.

The illumination sucks bad though on all the IORs I have had, unless you get one of the new models with the digital ill. I think it is only available on the 3.5-18x and the 6-24x.

The IOR 2.5-10x42 FFP is now "Gen 4" also.

Though it does not have digital illum. Just the "dot" is illuminated and the illum is usuable.

Something I like about the acog horse shoe is that it is small; otherwise it would be unbelievably huge at 100-200 yards. At 100 yards the horse shoe covers 8-10 inch circle on target. The dot is an inch or two at 100 yards. If I had the larger horse shoe that covers more on the target at say 100 yards; it wouldn't work for me . Mostly I shoot at bear, moose, and more caribou than anything. That horse shoe covers kill zone just fine at 100 yds.

So for me the small horse shoe or chevron works just dandy.

I'm going to get one of those 1X4 SS scopes probably end of May if available, but if not another acog will be just fine too.

I wonder if a dealer cost is much under the 799 on SWFA web site?

You should listen to people if you ask for advice. The TA11 has 3 feet of eye relief and the others have 1/4 inch.

People advise the TA11 series.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Substance-P</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well-looked through my first ACOG today...here are my thoughts:

The glass was clear and gathered a bunch of light, the chevron was nicely illuminated but smaller than I expected (what can I say-when you are used to shooting an Eotech, you forget what a normal size reticle is), but the most surprising thing I found was the eye relief.

I have heard about the short eye relief on ACOGs, but I didn't realize what that would be like until I had a chance to look through one today. While there was a lot to like about the ACOG I looked through (a fixed 3.5 I think), I don't know if I could adapt to the short eye relief. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: problemchild</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You should listen to people if you ask for advice. The TA11 has 3 feet of eye relief and the others have 1/4 inch.

People advise the TA11 series.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Substance-P</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well-looked through my first ACOG today...here are my thoughts:

I have heard about the short eye relief on ACOGs, but I didn't realize what that would be like until I had a chance to look through one today. While there was a lot to like about the ACOG I looked through (a fixed 3.5 I think), I don't know if I could adapt to the short eye relief. </div></div> </div></div>

problemchild-I really appreciated everyone's feedback and I have been listening to them. Specifically, DP425, Santo, TheOneTwo, and Wegner426 who suggested I consider a variable power scope such as the SS, the NXS, IOR, or USO optics discussed on the previous page.

There seemed to have been two general responses to my query 1) get a variable scope that can go down to 1 or 1.5 and
2) different ACOG options

Within the second series of responses there was a variety of ACOG suggestions with the TA11 being the most frequently identified

I do not have any local retailers where I can look through many ACOGS, there was only one in stock at a local store and it was not a TA11. You may very be correct that a TA11 would have been one that I would have liked if I had had the chance to look through it.

I was, however, able to look through a 1-4 NXS and liked it very much. Furthermore, I am warming to the idea of a variable in general (which does not preclude an accupoint from being considered, but does make a TA11 something I would hold off on until I finish considering variables).

I hope that my responses have not been suggestive of someone who was not responding to feedback. On the contrary, I would think the change in direction from a fixed ACOG to a variable would be reflective of listening to the different viewpoints presented in this thread and being willing to consider other options than I had originally considered.

Should I decide to forgo a variable scope for a fixed ACOG, I will definitely try to get the chance to look through a TA11.

I'm 500 miles from nearest gun shop that has any tactical scopes; sure can appreciate how it feels spending 1000 bucks sight unseen on a scope you might just luv or might just regret.