• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Real life comparisson 3.5 and 5 inch .45 ACP?

gunsnjeeps

Retired Swab Jockey
Minuteman
Dec 15, 2009
Norfolk, Va
Can anyone tell me the real life difference between a 3.5 inch and a 5 inch barrel for .45 ACP? Not looking for sight radius answers but velocity/power loss. Specifc comparison is 1911/PARA 7.45 LDA to Glock 30 as CCW.

Re: Real life comparisson 3.5 and 5 inch .45 ACP?

The smaller is much easier to conceal than the full size. If your gonna shoot it a bunch get a full size but if your primary goal is a new carry weap get the smaller. I am a big boy and its a bitch to hide a full sized 1911 sometimes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunsnjeeps</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can anyone tell me the real life difference between a 3.5 inch and a 5 inch barrel for .45 ACP? Not looking for sight radius answers but velocity/power loss. Specifc comparison is 1911/PARA 7.45 LDA to Glock 30 as CCW. </div></div>
The 3.5" has plenty of velocity/power for a carry gun. If you need anymore than that you are no longer shooting in a "defense" situation.

And that Glock gets pretty big for a carry gun. I would love to carry a full size-ish 1911 but I just can't deal with something that big. I carry a HK45c most of the time and its PLENTY big.

Forget the power levels - they're unimportant.

Can you comfortably carry and conceal a full-sized 1911? Can you comfortably carry and conceal a G30? Are you a 'big boy'? Does your everyday mode of dress tend towards the realm of circus tent or skintight? I don't want to know the answer, but it's a question that you should be asking long before and above any debate over ballistics. This is like asking which steering wheel covers to buy, before you've gotten a learner's permit to drive. If you're able to effectively conceal a Desert Eagle, then more power to ya' - and then you should go ahead and do exactly that.

No one's ever stopped a robbery or shot a bad guy with their carry piece that's sitting on the dresser at home. <span style="font-weight: bold">If it ain't on your physical person, accessible in under a second or two, it ain't worth shit.</span> Given "sufficient warning", I'll be rolling with a beltfed .50 cal...sadly other people don't tend to cooperate with our attempts to foil their plans.

your biggest hurdle to jump in deciding on what gun to carry is your holster type/design.I have no problem concealing my fullsize Glock 20 10mm or my Colt Gov't 1911 in .45. i use a IWB kydex holster I made myself. I never tuck in my tshirt and don't have to wear oversize pants or shirts. if you get a shit holster, it won't matter what gun you stuff into it. to me, your holster choice is every bit as important as what gun you want to carry. also, if you wear a tucked in shirt, your options start becoming limited.

I think some of the ammo is made for short barrel guns .
ansd like most have said if it isnt comfortable you will stop carrying that gun .

Thanks for the input. I am looking at moving up from the 5 shot .357 I currently carry. I'm an untucked shirt on the belt carrier most of the time.

Arbiter, your answer was well thought out and I've covered some of the same answers you gave with others and really like the steering wheel cover analogy. I may use that in the future.

I'll have to look for short barrel .45 ammo, I've seen .38 and .357. I'm leaning more to the Glock for size, as the full size 1911 is large even on me.

In general, compact 1911's don't balance very well. Because of this they often don't carry as well either.

An easier-carrying 1911 is all about grip length and shape, not barrel length.

If you want to shoot anything other than full-power loads for self-defense, get the more ergomic pistol with a longer barrel.

The power loss of an 800fps 16,000cup .45 round is negligible. They will both effectively punch .45 caliber holes.

I find the longer, 5" Government model guns better suited to packing than the shorter tubed guns, when running an inside the waistband holster.

Bearing in mind that not everyone is built the same, my issue is that the muzzle of the shorter 3.5" Officer's ACP model tends to poke/pinch me a bit when using an IWB, when I sit. The longer 5" guns do not.

In regards to concealment, I find it no harder to conceal a full size frame than an ACP sized frame. I believe that is one of those things that gets hyped up so much over the net it becomes "fact" after being repeated by so many. Same with bolt on magwells like the S&A magwells I run on some of my 1911s. They add roughly a whopping .25 inches to my gun.They do however, aid greatly in making a smooth reload.

The fact that there is more barrel sitting inside the pants does in fact stabilize the handgun for me. It worked fine with the Officer's ACP, but it worked better with the 5" guns.

Here are a couple of pics for reference:

All Milt Sparks rigs

001-13.jpg

The extra 1.5"s may not seem like much, but it really helps stabilize the gun and keep it from tending to lean away from the body. Others may have different experiences, as we are all built differently.

Pics for reference:

015-5.jpg

016-4.jpg

For IWB carry I actually find the longer barrels EASIER to carry.

Though I carry a G19 more often off duty than a 1911 any more, for years I carried 1911 with no issues. A high quality holster and high quality belt are the key. Off the rack crap that stretch out over time and get sloppy will be money wasted.

Buy quality once.

The holster for this Officer's ACP is now 20 years old and still totally servicable. It may look worse for wear, due to years of sweat soaking in, riding up against my side, but it is still good to go.

Side away from body:

009-7.jpg

Side against body:
008-5.jpg

015-1.jpg

The gun has recieved a couple of overhauls and is more or less retired:

005.jpg

016-3.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mackay Sagebrush</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
005.jpg

</div></div>

Remind me not to mess with that pine cone.
grin.gif

I agree with Mackay above, on barrel length and about Milt Sparks.

...one of the reasons a Walther PP carries better than a PPK/S.

I have a Les Baer Stinger (4" commander-length barrel with officer's short frame) that carries about perfectly in a twelve year old Milt Sparks 1H.

If you want to comfortably carry a snub-nose, get a J frame Smith revolver.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mackay Sagebrush</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I find the longer, 5" Government model guns better suited to packing than the shorter tubed guns, when running an inside the waistband holster.

Bearing in mind that not everyone is built the same, my issue is that the muzzle of the shorter 3.5" Officer's ACP model tends to poke/pinch me a bit when using an IWB, when I sit. The longer 5" guns do not.

In regards to concealment, I find it no harder to conceal a full size frame than an ACP sized frame. I believe that is one of those things that gets hyped up so much over the net it becomes "fact" after being repeated by so many. Same with bolt on magwells like the S&A magwells I run on some of my 1911s. They add roughly a whopping .25 inches to my gun.They do however, aid greatly in making a smooth reload.

The fact that there is more barrel sitting inside the pants does in fact stabilize the handgun for me. It worked fine with the Officer's ACP, but it worked better with the 5" guns.

Here are a couple of pics for reference:

All Milt Sparks rigs

001-13.jpg

</div></div>

Good points, but again everything is ultimately contingent upon body type and clothing limitations. At 5' 10" and 140lbs, IWB carry of a 5" 1911 isn't even worth trying for me. My 3" 1911 was marginally small enough for strong-side behind-the-hip IWB carry, but the muzzle on a Government Model is going to wind up somewhere south of my posterior should I try it in the same position. Should the person reading this be a defensive linebacker, they can safely consider those factors to be irrelevant. I've had customers whose idea of comfortable daily carry involved a Glock 17 in an ankle holster - how they can get away with it remains a mystery to someone of my build. Regardless of what works for others, the overriding factor must be your own physical constraints.

As pointed out by Mackay, the fact does hold true that a high-quality holster is always worth the money for someone serious about carrying daily. I'd argue that issues with the stability of a 3" 1911 IWB can largely be resolved with a good holster and belt combination, but your mileage may vary...

I may have to retry IWB with a decent holster. The only full-size guns I've carried are my Beretta 92 in a Fobus, normally open carry at the range, between ranges during pistol season (shot two leagues on the same night), or quick trips to the store under a jacket; or a SIG 226 in a Galco that I thought was bulky at the time and haven't tried recently.

The 5 inch barrel is not the problem to hide. The grip is the problem.

If you could get a 5 inch barrel with a compact grip, it'd look real funny but may be alot more conceal friendly.

You would lose 1 round.

I have found the longer barrel helps to stabilize as said earlier.

I carry a Para Warthog in a DeSantis Cozy Partner IWB holster and it holds great with it's 3 inch barrel. I'm 6'3 250lbs and carrying my full size 1911 isn't nearly as comfortable. Bottom line though comes down to personal preference.

OP,

As you can see everyone is different. As Arbiter mentioned the key to carrying anything whether it's IWB, OWB, Appendix, etc is a good holster and belt. With the right rig and holster placement you can carry about anything. The other points about balance and reliability are also subjective and largely based on experience. I find that FOR ME a Commander length 1911 balances better than a 5" and that a 1911 can be every bit as reliable as any other platform. Some of my 4" guns took a little bit of tweaking and patience to get them running right and some are coming up on 8k rounds since break in without significant issues. My 3" has about 4k and one of my 5" guns is coming up on 50k rounds with only ammo related failures. They don't all run right out of the box but the platform can be reliable.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jim D</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Velocity isn't the concern, reliability is.

Stay away from short 1911's if you care about reliability.</div></div>

I can safely say that I've had fewer malfunctions from my 3" 1911s than my 5"...your mileage can and will vary. Any gun can have issues, regardless of barrel length. The only way to know if it's reliable or not is to burn ammo and find out what happens. Theoretical, potential statistical reliability doesn't really matter in the real world if your needs are being met by a gun that works.

"If you want to comfortably carry a snub-nose, get a J frame Smith revolver."

Truer words were never said.

Agreed: 1. everyone is different, and 2. you have to get a quality holster. Probably going to buy more than one so you can experiment with what you like best.

I don't like how wide (and square) Glock frames are, but have no problem with 1911s IWB. My favorites are Les Baer 4" bbl in Milt Sparks IWB.

I've been carrying a Taurus snub. Want to move up to higher capacity than five rounds. Leaning towards the Glock, higher capacity less weight, shorter grip. I don't have any complaints about the Taurus just want to add rounds with out a reload.

Carried the SIG today with the Galco. Fine for walking around, didn't work in the Jeep. Gun butt digging into the seat bolster or pushing forward on my belt. I think the 7.45 would have the same problem.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jim D</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Velocity isn't the concern, reliability is.

Stay away from short 1911's if you care about reliability. </div></div>

I read this a lot and have had 2 Ultra Kimbers. Never an Issue. I have customers bring them back saying the do not shoot and in their cases, it is a case of not getting behind the gun enough to make it cycle.

I will take my super carry out today and shoot a lot of strong and weak hand to see if it is an issue. Do you think there is another reason? Just curious as I have not seen this first hand (OK, today, I will probably be TRBing all day)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DirtyRod</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OP,

As you can see everyone is different. As Arbiter mentioned the key to carrying anything whether it's IWB, OWB, Appendix, etc is a good holster and belt. With the right rig and holster placement you can carry about anything. The other points about balance and reliability are also subjective and largely based on experience. I find that FOR ME a Commander length 1911 balances better than a 5" and that a 1911 can be every bit as reliable as any other platform. Some of my 4" guns took a little bit of tweaking and patience to get them running right and some are coming up on 8k rounds since break in without significant issues. My 3" has about 4k and one of my 5" guns is coming up on 50k rounds with only ammo related failures. They don't all run right out of the box but the platform can be reliable. </div></div>

You read my mind, I sold my Custom Super Carry (5") to buy my Pro TLE II. I have 4, 4" Kimbers and they seem to work the best for me as well.

I also agree with your comment on holsters. They are like shoes. What works for you may not work for me and vice versa. Also, as we saw above, there is some value in breaking them in as far as comfort goes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fast eddie</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jim D</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Velocity isn't the concern, reliability is.

Stay away from short 1911's if you care about reliability. </div></div>

I read this a lot and have had 2 Ultra Kimbers. Never an Issue. I have customers bring them back saying the do not shoot and in their cases, it is a case of not getting behind the gun enough to make it cycle.

I will take my super carry out today and shoot a lot of strong and weak hand to see if it is an issue. Do you think there is another reason? Just curious as I have not seen this first hand (OK, today, I will probably be TRBing all day)</div></div> I used to work at a store/range that carried Kimber.

I had the opportunity to take every micro 1911 that acted up out to the range, lube it up properly, and shoot it personally with a solid grip using factory ammo.

MANY Kimbers (usually Ultra's) still would not run. (the majority which were brought back to us, or jammed up on their owners while they were on the range.)

Why anyone thinks a ~3", 6 shot, metal frame .45ACP, which is super spring and maintenance sensitive (and has a thumb and grip safety) is their best bet for a carry weapon is beyond me.

There are so many other options which are cheaper, more reliable, higher capacity, and lighter to carry than micro 1911's.