• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

really low recoil .308?

Glennp

Private
Minuteman
Hello. I have a stock remmy 700 SPS with the 26" heavy varmint barrel in .308. I reload 168s over 43grains of IMR 4895. My girlfriend cant handle that, suprisingly (it is a heavy rifle, kicks soft for what it is i believe).

I'de like to reload some really soft shooting rounds. Maybe with some M1 carbine bullets or something? Anyone do this? What kinda loads do you use? On hand I have imr4895, clays, and bullseye. Ide assume the proper powder would be somewhere inbetween.

Re: really low recoil .308?

easiest way is to get the 32acp inserts.

110 Vmax loaded with something fast like H335 to about 2500 fps will show a significant reduction in recoil.

You can get 30 cal pistol bullets down to about 85gr, but they're very speed sensitive and they're also somewhat expensive compared to common pistol bullets. I ran 90gr Sierra RN's for the M1 carbine through my 1:10t 30-06 and they survived to about 3200 fps before they self destructed.

You can load them to 2500 fps and have recoil on par with a 22-250.

I don't have it in front of me, but my Lyman manual showed some loads for cast bullets for .308. If I remember correctly, the velocities were very low, so I assume they'd be very soft shooting. Might be worth a look, and bullets would be cheap.

the hodgdon online data center shows an 8 grain max with a 168 for clays, at 1060FPS. This would be perfect as I already have the bullets and powder.

Safe? They dont list a minimum, what do you think i should work up from? 6.5?

I know it doesn't directly answer your question, but why not just have her shoot a .223? It would be a good excuse to build one, if you don't have one.

in my 06 with 150 grn flat base mill pulls i run 18 grns of blue dot at 1830 fps from a 22 tube no recoil at all

Look up Youth Loads under DATA on the Hodgdon website. Or, you could look up Trail Boss data. It says for cast bullets only on the website at the moment, but the new hodgdons booklet says jacketed as well. Either way you can get some really lite recoiling loads

Good Shooting,
Gary

With h4895 from youth loads I was able to get 110grainers where my 7 year old nephew could shoot and handle the recoil. All 65lbs of him! Hodgdons website......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Glennp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello. I have a stock remmy 700 SPS with the 26" heavy varmint barrel in .308. I reload 168s over 43grains of IMR 4895. My girlfriend cant handle that, suprisingly (it is a heavy rifle, kicks soft for what it is i believe).

I'de like to reload some really soft shooting rounds. Maybe with some M1 carbine bullets or something? Anyone do this? What kinda loads do you use? On hand I have imr4895, clays, and bullseye. Ide assume the proper powder would be somewhere inbetween. </div></div>

Hodgdon's website has a youth loads page that says any data they list for H4895 can be reduced to 60% of the listed max load for a low power loading as well as listing some youth hunting loads for various calibers that are in-between.

The thread below has lots of load info from low-power to "cat's-sneeze" right down to "mouse-phardt" loads using only primers.

http://forum.exbabylon.net/showthread.htm?s=5ef5a1c7676038b55576515b100944f9&t=44948

Good luck with the loads
-John

The youth loads on Hodgdon's website work very well. My boys used them in my 7mmRM all the time when they were little. Very low recoil and work well on deer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eleaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Either that, or go buy her her own small caliber rifle! </div></div>

Bingo! A 17 Remington ought to treat her just right. Barely any recoil at all. Light enough that one can actually see the bullet hit the target through the scope. Not nearly as loud as the .308 either (even the 100s are significantly louder than anything the 17 Remington throws down range). And those puppies are moving at about 4000 fps. Good enough for ghogs and pdogs at 500+ yards, and coyotes at 300 or so.

Great for paper too (except they are hard to see unless using shoot-n-see or similar targets)!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: orkan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know it doesn't directly answer your question, but why not just have her shoot a .223? It would be a good excuse to build one, if you don't have one. </div></div>

That's what I did for my 12 year old.

But...for your original question...the carbine bullets, 110 grains or so...Unique Powder, 11 or 12 grains will give about 1200 fps. Kills deer dead on neck shots. JMHO