• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rear bag support and accuracy

Yerman

Private
Banned !
Minuteman
Jun 15, 2013
Fort Worth, Texas
Hey guys, question about rear bags. A friend of mine (and a really good shooter) recommended that I upgrade to a Protektor rear bag due to its density and weight. He said having a solid rear support that doesn’t deflect much when shooting can help bring my groups together and help prevent the occasional flier I’m getting.

I can see his point but wanted to see what the general consensus is about rear bags and if having one too soft can have an impact on group size at distance (1000 yards)?

FWIW, I’m shooting a tactical style rifle (Custom R700 in MPA chassis with an Atlas PSR) in 1000 yard paper competitions going up against F-Class rifles. Best I’ve done so far is 3rd place out of about 25-35 shooters on average. I’d love to place higher with a tactical style rifle without getting something like a Phoenix bipod.

One of my main concerns is not being able to squeeze a Protektor as much for fine aiming. I know they are meant to be used with an F-Class bipod so most aiming is done with fine adjustments on the bipod vs the rear bag. Thx.

Last edited:
Hey guys, question about rear bags. A friend of mine (and a really good shooter) recommended that I upgrade to a Protektor rear bag due to its density and weight. He said having a solid rear support that doesn’t deflect much when shooting can help bring my groups together and help prevent the occasional flier I’m getting.

I can see his point but wanted to see what the general consensus is about rear bags and if having one too soft can have an impact on group size at distance (1000 yards)

FWIW, I’m shooting a tactical style rifle (Custom R700 in MPA chassis with an Atlas PSR) in 1000 yard paper competitions going up against F-Class rifles. Best I’ve done so far is 3rd place out of about 25-35 shooters on average. I’d love to place higher with a tactical style rifle without getting something like a Phoenix bipod.

One of my main concerns is not being able to squeeze a Protektor as much for fine aiming. I know they are meant to be used with an F-Class bipod so most aiming is done with fine adjustments on the bipod vs the rear bag. Thx.

Read whole thing looking for an actual question.

Good job on your 3rd place finish!

never used the bag you mentioned but yes, a more dense/heavy fill bag will be more stable

there is a noticeable difference in using the same size bags with heavy vs light fill

What were the 1st and 2nd place shooters using.
They were using f-Class rifles with f-class bipods and rear bags. I'd like to be more competitive without buying all the supper sturdy f-class gear and free recoiling my rifle.

Read whole thing looking for an actual question.

Good job on your 3rd place finish!
Lol and thanks.

I added a missing question mark to my question....I wanted to see what the general consensus is about rear bags and if having one too soft can have an impact on group size at distance (1000 yards)?

never used the bag you mentioned but yes, a more dense/heavy fill bag will be more stable

there is a noticeable difference in using the same size bags with heavy vs light fill

Would the result be vertical stringing (what I experianced on a few of my shots?)

in my experience, it affects vertical more, yes

you have to maintain the squeeze the entire time, and the softer the bag, more sensitive it is to the squeeze

Spend the money on practice ammo. Within certain limits you can buy accuracy, what you can't buy is wind reading skills and consistency. That only comes from shooting more and grooving your skills. Now, if you got killed in that third place finish, you might want to look at what they were using but if it was a close third, it probably is cause they shot better than you did.

Density of the bag affects my ability to follow through correctly for me. Denser fill seems more stable and I’m able to settle the stock more firmly into a larger/denser bag. This, in turn, makes ME less likely to mess up by varying the pressure on the bag during the break and follow-through. The rifle is of course just as precise/ accurate. It is my ability to apply proper mechanics that is affected.

I didn't fill my Protektor bag with heavy fill sand instead I used a fairly fine hobby sand, if you tsmack it down on the bench it will expand outwards and is very stable but not enough that it keeps me from being able to squeeze it for small adjustments.
Seems to work good for me that way shooting from a bipod or a Sinclair front rest.

Applying proper mechanics, for me, becomes even more difficult after a long watch or a long shot string (static muscle fatigue).

My best score with a Atlas Bipod and gamechanger rear bag was 591: 20 shots @ 300 yards then 40 shots @ 600 yards. My best score with a Seb Mini Front rest and Protektor rear bag was 590. It might help you or it might not make much of a difference.

My best score with a Atlas Bipod and gamechanger rear bag was 591: 20 shots @ 300 yards then 40 shots @ 600 yards. My best score with a Seb Mini Front rest and Protektor rear bag was 590. It might help you or it might not make much of a difference.

i would put the game changer in the dense/heavy enough category...i know i can tell quite a bit of difference between using mine vs a light fill tac pack

Thanks for all the feedback guys. Much appreciated
There is a learning curve when using a lightly filled bag. It took me a while to learn mine after mostly shooting with a monopod. Now that I have learned how to stay with it all of the way through the shot it is easy and second nature. IMO it makes you a better shooter.

How does using a bag compare to using a monopod on the back of the rifle? I don’t see many people using mono pods, but have often wondered how well they work.

I've tried several different rear bags trying to find tge "right" one and have finally come to understand that such a bag doesnt exist and the money would have been better spent on practice ammo and range time, because an old boot sock filled with airsoft pellets (total investment of $10) seems to work just as well (if not better than) a $100 bag.

How does using a bag compare to using a monopod on the back of the rifle? I don’t see many people using mono pods, but have often wondered how well they work.
The only way I shot really well off of a monopod was to unlock the hinge, hold it in my fist, and and let the bottom of my fist touch the ground. The hinge then could be used to raise or lower the stock. Now that I am using a soft bag I like it much more but like I said, you have to learn how to hold it steady all of the way through the shot and also learn how much downward cheek pressure to put on the stock/bag.