• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rear bag - WEDGE?

thefitter

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 10, 2010
How many of you use a wedge style rear bag? I need to get a new larger bag and I'm wondering how people like the wedge style?

Thanks

Re: Rear bag - WEDGE?

I took a piece of soft pine, cut it in the shape of a wedge and glued/tacked some no-slip grip rubber to the hypotenuse side. Glued some 60 grit sandpaper to the bottom.

Works like a charm.

Like the wedge, but like any tool it works better in certain situations but not in all of them.

Not much money and they can be very helpful.

Steve at Triad Tactical sent me one of his new rear bags earlier this year and in all honesty... It totally slams the others on the functionality front.

http://www.triadtactical.com/Triad-Tapered-Rear-Bag.html
Standard and LARGE available from the above site.

On flat ground
* slide it forward, muzzle goes up/down based on orientation and direction of course.
* Turn it vertical and have a fairly high bag.
* Put it on a slightly angled object (tree branch) and effectively turn it into a FLAT, padded field firing position (I turned a fox's head inside out at 350m a couple of months ago this way) with no issues whatsoever.

I've had redman bags, badger bones, filled socks, rolled foam etc rear bags and this one puts the best of everything together and turns it into a triangle of awesomeness.

Not too big, not too small, not heavy.

TriadBagsml-1.jpg

I always just used the regular tubular shaped rear bags. It seems like the wedges would be less stable on end or at highest height.

I also use the TriadTactical wedge an for my setup it is working great.

It is not for all situations, but neither is any other bag.

I have several different bags in my pack, I reach for the wedge first in most situations.

I use the Triad wedge in the field underneath an Accushot monopod for more elevation. I also found it works well sitting tall with the point behind the adjustment lever of a Sopmod stock.

I have the small wedge. They are outstanding especially on my DPMS LR 308. I will be ordering a lager one from Steve at Triad here soon.

I made my own wedge and love it would suggest a larger one

there are bags filled with something resembling ground up corn cob. they are quite light compared to sand or shot filled. you could try plastic beads. I would think if you look at some of the lighter tumbling media used for tumbling brass you might find something suitable and relatively cheap.

Triad lists their large tapered bag at 4 lbs. Can anyone tell me if that's in the ballpark or if that's some sort of shipping weight?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Petey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Triad lists their large tapered bag at 4 lbs. Can anyone tell me if that's in the ballpark or if that's some sort of shipping weight? </div></div>

4.4 pounds is more accurate.

Thanks; I was wondering how the weight stacked up against my poly-filled socks.

I use the Traid small wedge and love it! We use rice to fill bags at the range, maybe that would work for you?

I like the wedge idea, I was just hoping that the bigger wedge would come in a bit lighter on the scale. I guess I'll probably end up going with the small size and seeing how it works.

Here is a Big size wedge (http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/pid=41122/Product/Dog-Gone-Good-Wedge-Bag) Fill it with Air-Soft BB's. You can get a jug of them for about $8., plus they are light weight!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Petey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like the wedge idea, I was just hoping that the bigger wedge would come in a bit lighter on the scale. I guess I'll probably end up going with the small size and seeing how it works. </div></div>

I tried several homemade options also (Sand, beans, rice) and finally ended up buying the rear bag from TAB Gear. It made a huge difference. For $20 bucks I thought it was a great investment.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tjshelton27</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I tried several homemade options also (Sand, beans, rice) and finally ended up buying the rear bag from TAB Gear. It made a huge difference. For $20 bucks I thought it was a great investment. </div></div>

same, I need to get one. I made one myself, and honestly one made is so much better. I used someone else's on his rifle and it felt so much more sturdier

I agree that a $20 professionally made bag is much better than any of the monstrosities that I've made over the years. In a pinch though, if you need to make a rice sock or something, I've found that by filling in only about halfway than it produces a much sturdier rest.

I am getting pretty good feedback on both sizes of the Wedge. The fact that MidwayUSA has knocked off the idea (and even the text from my site) tells me that we may have a good idea.

I have the small wedge and a few other name brand bags and I always grab the wedge first.

It is just much faster to make adjustments than anything else I've tried...homemade or bought.

Thanks Triad!

BnC

I have some time on the small wedge. Overall I like it, wondered if a larger one would be better however have not ordered a large yet.

Phylodog said it best IMO, I usually start with the wedge.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Triad</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am getting pretty good feedback on both sizes of the Wedge. The fact that MidwayUSA has knocked off the idea (and even the text from my site) tells me that we may have a good idea. </div></div> This is why I don't buy from midway. They are turning into cabelas. Let the little guy do the leg work then once it is proven good, they send it to china and sell it for half the price. Can't even figure out their own wording.

I just ordered my large wedge for my AICS soon to be AIVS (viper skins) and some other gear. Steve is a great person to deal with and I will pay more to support some one like him both a Hide Vendor and an American business owner. Steve keep up the good work and thanks again for your help with my order.

After reading a few of the replies here second-guessing going with the small wedge. What's the consensus on the best size wedge for an AICS stock for all-around shooting?

For the type of shooting I'm doing, the small bag is fine, you can always either chock up the bag or fold the bipod into the forward 45deg position...

I have an Atlas bipod and AICS AX with the small wedge, works really well - no issues.

The small bag is working ok but I am finding my self having to stand it on end with the tapered end supporting the AICS. I am about to buy the Viper Skins also so I ordered the large wedge to acomadate both styles. I know weight is a bit of a factor but I am not humping for a mile to get to a FFP and some would say the extra weight matters. I say grow stronger lol.

I own the small wedge from Triad. It is well made and I like it. However, I agree with others on here and would recommend going with their bigger wedge. I am ordering the bigger one today because the regular one wasn't big enough for my 308 semi-auto with a 20 round magazine sticking out the bottom. I experimented with standing it on its end and did not like it. I like the idea of a bigger wedge that I can leave on its side for better support.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Triad</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am getting pretty good feedback on both sizes of the Wedge. The fact that MidwayUSA has knocked off the idea (and even the text from my site) tells me that we may have a good idea. </div></div>
I have your TRIAD wedge bag, another guy at the range had the new MidwayUSA wedge so I snapped some photos of the two. The TRIAD bag material is much more robust, the TRIAD bag is slightly heavier, and the stitching quality is visibly better on the TRIAD design. I'm happy I bought the TRIAD wedge and would suggest the same to others after handling both.
Wedges_1.JPG
Wedges_3.JPG

"I'm Larry Potterfield with Midway USA. Thanks for your ideas......"

Thanks for the feedback bp78

Got tired of dinking around with other options and decided to get a wedge. I didn't know which size to get, so bought the large and small from Steve - I can see where each will have application depending on use and setting.

Regarding filler, watch what you use - you don't want something that will absorb water, rot, and/or deteriorate like rice, cat litter, polishing media, etc.

Steve at Triad is great to deal with! Top-notch products!

Kevin

I have both the small and large Wedge bag from Steve at Triad. Both fullfill a need / use. I had ordered the large rear wedge about 2 weeks or so ago. Yes it is much bigger and heavier than the " lil " wedge but it also gives me with an AICS better range of use. Steve thanks again for the advise and quality gear.

Steve,

I'm not trying to start shit. But, I have to ask. How is what Midway did with the wedge any different than what you guys did with the cheeck pad/pouch ??

Just curious.

I've bought from you guys and have no issues. I've also bought from Midway with no issues ..... maybe an issue with their high shipping costs.

By the way, what are the measurements on the wedge. Just wondering which size I'll need .... gonna measure at the range next time and see how high I need.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Muttt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Steve,

I'm not trying to start shit. But, I have to ask. How is what Midway did with the wedge any different than what you guys did with the cheeck pad/pouch ??

Just curious.

I've bought from you guys and have no issues. I've also bought from Midway with no issues ..... maybe an issue with their high shipping costs.

By the way, what are the measurements on the wedge. Just wondering which size I'll need .... gonna measure at the range next time and see how high I need. </div></div>

I can tell you that the large wedge was quite a bit bigger than expected. I just received it this week, and while it'll be great for range work I wouldn't want to take it into the field.

I didn't take measurements, but how about a few pictures of the large wedge under an AICS for comparison?

2qlh3d1.jpg

72q0yg.jpg

Sounds about right, and I think that's the height of the bag listed on the Triad site.

Per Triad Tactical:

Lil Wedgie Specifications:
Weight: 20oz
Length: 6”
Height: 3.25”
Fill: Poly bead
Material: 1000D Cordura

Big Wedgie Specifications:
Weight: 4.4Lbs
Length: 8"
Height: 5"
Fill: Poly bead
Material: 1000D Cordura

Mutt,

The difference is that I asked first, I tried to get Eagle to keep making them. Call Eagle and see if they sell you one.

Reactions: deersniper

I can tell you I have a wedge and a straight bag and then I have this one Tab Bag it is small and very effective. Just an idea not sure what you are after.