• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rear support for tall shooter

nuclear_shooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 28, 2013
I recently got a Remington 700P in 300 win mag. Its my first precision rifle... and I need some help. I'm a tall guy, between 6'3" and 6'4". I need to support the butt of the rifle. Currently shooting with only a bipod, and my scope drifts a lot around the target. For example today at my local indoor range (50 yards), I put 2 bullets in the same hole and the third one was almost an inch high. What do you guys use? I have a pretty large gap between myself and the bench (same deal if I lie prone). I will try to measure that later. I know a lot of guys make there own rear supports with old jeans and sand/airsoft pellets but in my case I'd almost rather spend a few bucks and spare myself the trouble. Also I don't wear jeans :p so no leftovers!

Edit: Wasn't sure if I should post there here or in the equipment forum. Mods feel free to move.

Last edited:
The folks at Rifles Only are good people and the Tab products are great too. That's a small, thin rear bag but I think you'll like it more than you would a larger bag.

I am a really big guy with a big gut as well and at first I had similar issues, but I found that I was adjusting the bipod too tall which resulted in me having to move the rear of the rifle higher up as well. I found that if I get my body low enough I can lower the bipod and have no issues and just use a small rear bag.

I am a big guy as well. I found the TAB bag to be too small with my atlas bipod in its lowest leg setting. What was working for me was a combo of the TAB bag and a triad wedge. I just got the large triad wedge (man its huge) haven't had a chance to give it a shot yet.

The Large Wedge offers the widest range of usable elevation of any bag we carry. But as mentioned, it and the RedTac Pillow are no lightweights.

I just laid prone and measured, depending on the angle its about 3" to 5" so either the TAB or Triad should work. When shooting off the low benches, I may need a big sandbag plus a bean bag or something. Thanks for the info guys!

Another idea:

I picked up a pack of wool socks from my local surplus store, and a cheap bag of airsoft pellets from Bass Pro. I filled the sock until it was ~3"D x 4"H,tied it off with a scrap of paracord, then twisted the excess and folded it back on itself (like packing a pair of socks), twisted again and folded over once more. Its a pretty flexible rear bag, easily adjusts from ~1/2" high (on its side, compressed), to 8-10" (standing up, full squeeze with my support hand).

Worst case scenario- if it doesn't work for you, you've got a new pair of socks, and a bunch of airsoft pellets for your son (nephew, cousin, kid who mows the lawn, etc.)

Last edited:
I personally run a RedTac "Half pint" bag more often than not, and if I need more bag I have a couple WieBad bags in my ruck.
WieBad Tactical sells a great selection of bags, TAB gear through Rifles Only ProShop are always good.

Home made "sand socks" are doable, but so many have been doing this so long that there are a lot of well thought out rear bags on the market put out by a l a lot of folks that support the precision rifle community.

It could be as simple to resolve as trying a shorter bipod. An inexpensive way to find out is to try one of these. If it works, you can then look for a better one.

...or not...

I purchased a couple of these to provide as loaners in one of our local matches which required bipod for support, no rests. The mounting system is quite versatile and ingenious, fits either sling stud or Pic rail; and the bipod, though inexpensive, is both effective and solid. It's at least as low as my Harris BR height bipod.

Greg

It could be as simple to resolve as trying a shorter bipod. An inexpensive way to find out is to try one of these. If it works, you can then look for a better one.

...or not...

I purchased a couple of these to provide as loaners in one of our local matches which required bipod for support, no rests. The mounting system is quite versatile and ingenious, fits either sling stud or Pic rail; and the bipod, though inexpensive, is both effective and solid. It's at least as low as my Harris BR height bipod.

Greg

I actually bought both bipods and just ate the 4 dollars to ship it back to amazon (FYI its pretty painless, they even print you off a label and detect the $ from your refund). I found the larger one to be more comfortable but who knows if I'm actually sitting properly?