• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Reasonable Options for first time night time Coyote hunting

Macdaddy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2009
Clarke County, VA
OK, mildly familiar with the night vision, thermal and rifle mounted lights options.

I will define "reasonable" as a budget of $1500 or less. Much less if OK.

Hunting will be at ranges most likely at less than 200 yards and my rifle is an AR in 300 BLK OUT.

I am assuming a decent thermal unit (clip on or otherwise) is out of my budget so expect my options will be in the night vision realm or simply a good lighting system.

During the day, I am now using a Leupold VXR scope on my rifle with a lit dot reticle.

Just getting into night hunting so I am open to suggestions as to something I'll be satisfied with for some time.

Thanks

A Pulsar Apex 38mm unit ... new has shown price of $2,500 ... and Optics Planet will usually give 10% discount to anyone who asks, and dealers know that ... so $2,250 is the starting point for new hunting usable thermals. If you look around you might find a used one for a little less. Like on Lone Star Boars site.

https://www.hueyoutdoors.com/product/apex-xq38-2-2-8-8x32-thermal-riflescope/

So, I recommend saving up a little while longer and going for one of those. They have a manual focus and a decent image and are usable out to 300yds and beyond.

For getting started on a budget I'd highly recommend Coyote Light Pro for my night shooter. This is what what I have used religiously before I stepped up my night game. I have engaged steel out to 800yds and spotted steel out 1100 yds with it. PID on yote vs neighbor dog 400-500 yds depending on conditions. It did work for scanning, but no where's in the same league as thermal for this specific activity. You'll be about $450ish in on investment. I have run wicked lights and found that coyote light pro was approximately 35-40% increase in performance.

Otherwise in the meantime I'd save every penny for whatever Wig recommends. He will guide you true for whatever your budget allows. In terms of best performance for hunting.... Thermal hands down will give you advantage for target acquisition. If it's rifle mounted you will have faster response time, the disadvantage is having to swing the rifle around to scan.

Otherwise, if @wigwamitus would happen to know of a decent thermal scanner for $1k. With the Coyote Light Pro for your day scope, you could be right at your budget and end up with a dedicated scanner and a dedicated shooter.

<< ... know of a decent thermal scanner for $1k >> Do not ... none of the lepton (or equivalent) cored thermals are worth a crap ... those include the torrey pines and the leupold ... and others ...

The starting point for a hunting usable thermal hand held are the olde HD19a(s) ... which are getting harder ad harder to find. And those are around $1800 when you can find them.

OK, I'll bite the dough ball: What does darkness have to do with cartridge selection?

I've found that its a big help to have more knockdown power at night so they are dead-right-there. The less tracking and blood trailing that needs to be done under darkness, the better. More hunting time.

Wicked Lights Scan Pro/403ic weapon light combo kit. $280-350 depending on which kit you choose. We’ve had really good luck with them. In good conditions we can see eyes at 500 and shoot at 300-350 max. Most of our shots are 200 and in.

Ballistic advantage... i.e., shooting a laser vs. lobbing a bullet out of the muzzle will make your unknown distances a non-issue... exponentially increasing your danger space

Also forgot to mention that wind becomes less of a factor.... comparatively

For $1500 budget, the PVS-4 gen 3 that’s listed on here and for some reason nobody has bought yet.
That’s a hell of a deal for a great gen 3 scope.

Or spend another $500 to get a PTS233 and have thermal capabilities for greater detection ability. Still not as ideal as a separate thermal scanner, but for a lower budget there’s no way you’re going to get both to be effective in the dark.

OK, I'll bite the dough ball: What does darkness have to do with cartridge selection?

As others have added here.. flatter trajectory is paramount when going after yotes, especially
at night, as depth perception in the dark is more difficult.

223, 204, 22-250 to name a few common choices, are all much faster than 300 black.

Lately I've been using my 6 Creedmoor shooting 87 vmax.. coyote hammer

Reactions: camotoe
As others have added here.. flatter trajectory is paramount when going after yotes, especially
at night, as depth perception in the dark is more difficult.

223, 204, 22-250 to name a few common choices, are all much faster than 300 black.

Lately I've been using my 6 Creedmoor shooting 87 vmax.. coyote hammer

Yep.
Using a light you're not gonna have much time to shoot
With thermal especially and NV to a lesser degree, range estimation goes out the window.

Fast and flat

From $300 up: Coyote light, then a huge gap where nothing really works better, then really look hard for an entry thermal at the top end of your price range. PTS233 or Pulsar.

A Pulsar Apex 38mm unit ... new has shown price of $2,500 ... and Optics Planet will usually give 10% discount to anyone who asks, and dealers know that ... so $2,250 is the starting point for new hunting usable thermals. If you look around you might find a used one for a little less. Like on Lone Star Boars site.

https://www.hueyoutdoors.com/product/apex-xq38-2-2-8-8x32-thermal-riflescope/

So, I recommend saving up a little while longer and going for one of those. They have a manual focus and a decent image and are usable out to 300yds and beyond.

Pulsar discontinued the Apex line, so unless you can find one left over or used, that’s unfortunately no longer an option. My guess is that it was stealing sales from the Trail series. The Apex models were pretty badass.

OP: NV sounds like your best bet. You’re not going to get into a reliable thermal at that price point. There are thermals that can be bought for around that price, but they’ll be more frustration than they’re worth.

Apex are still in the supply chain ... and will still be available for at least a couple of years ... compare to the quantum spotter thermals. They were still available on Amazon up until about a month ago and the HR19A was discontinued Loooog ago.

If someone needs help finding one, PM me and I will try to help.

Reactions: camotoe
Apex are still in the supply chain ... and will still be available for at least a couple of years ... compare to the quantum spotter thermals. They were still available on Amazon up until about a month ago and the HR19A was discontinued Loooog ago.

If someone needs help finding one, PM me and I will try to help.

Yeah I'm sure some people still have some in stock, but we talked to our Pulsar rep about 10 days ago and he said Pulsar didn't have any more.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B06Y1WNFF3/ref=dp_olp_new_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=new

After 30s of searching ...

Sometimes it takes 30m of searching to find something ... and people are selling them also ... and I know a guy who is just about to put an Apex 50mm for sale ... they are out there and will be out there for some time ... though the hunters that have them tend to hold on to them. I have a 3 year old apex 38mm and no plan to sell :)

But it will be interesting to see what the new line is like ... I fear they are a Lithuanian "Chinese" scope ... they seem to resemble the ATN chinese scopes in appearance ... but we shall see !!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B06Y1WNFF3/ref=dp_olp_new_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=new

After 30s of searching ...

Sometimes it takes 30m of searching to find something ... and people are selling them also ... and I know a guy who is just about to put an Apex 50mm for sale ... they are out there and will be out there for some time ... though the hunters that have them tend to hold on to them. I have a 3 year old apex 38mm and no plan to sell :)

But it will be interesting to see what the new line is like ... I fear they are a Lithuanian "Chinese" scope ... they seem to resemble the ATN chinese scopes in appearance ... but we shall see !!

Like I said, obviously people still have them. Pulsar doesn't.

For $1500 budget, the PVS-4 gen 3 that’s listed on here and for some reason nobody has bought yet.
That’s a hell of a deal for a great gen 3 scope.

Or spend another $500 to get a PTS233 and have thermal capabilities for greater detection ability. Still not as ideal as a separate thermal scanner, but for a lower budget there’s no way you’re going to get both to be effective in the dark.

That's gonna be your best deal. The PVS4 is actually a really good NV scope with a catadiotropic lens. I had a 2nd gen version issued to me for the FTX in basic training (it's the only time I ever saw or used one). It was actually pretty good and with a 3rd gen tube it'd be really nice. Several reticles to choose from. Wanna say it can be used in daytime due to the lens but don't quote me on that.

If I only had the $1500, this is what I'd be going after.

Only other option I know of would be the PVS30 for $4700. You could get a bank loan if that's suitable for you and it'll get you into one now and if you need to build credit, it can help. That's what I did, I needed the credit. I also had some in savings I was able to take out to pay it down as much as I could to avoid interest. These are really nice and new they cost nearly $12,000. You'll still need an IR illuminator but those can be found for decent prices if you go LED.

I don't think you can get a good PVS14 setup with a good IR laser/illum for that. And it'll mount in front of your day optic with no change to zero, so you could use any rifle you can fit it on. I think these are a really good deal, maybe the best deal in NV right now. Only way I know of to get a long range quality clip on for that price. And with a year warranty.

I would also recommend saving a little more to get to the next level optics like the apex at the minimum. Once you get into thermal/NV you are going to realize that you get what you pay for and there is absolutely a minimal viable product. Unfortunately those typically don’t exist in the $1500 price range.

The starting point for a hunting usable thermal hand held are the olde HD19a(s) ... which are getting harder ad harder to find. And those are around $1800 when you can find them.

I would just add here that I’ve had great experience with the Pulsar xq30v for that same price range. I think these replaced the HD19 but Wig can keep me honest on that part.

A USED gen 3 pvs14 and a lasermax uni ir laser can be found from time to time for less than 1500.

Older models, models with blems, being lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time all play into that...

Within your budget, you are probably looking a Gen 2 Nightvision Scope.

They will work but range is limited.

If you’re patient, a Simrad KN203 or KN253 / PVS-9 will probably show up in that price range every couple months or so. I think there were two listed for 1900-1700 in the past 4-5 weeks.

By far the best performing system you’re likely to find in that price range.