• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Rebel suppressors. (Budget thread)

Jsmoody84

Private
Minuteman
Jun 30, 2018
Va beach
Ok guys. Didn't see a budget thread on here yet. I came across these a while back. About to pull the trigger on one and see what the deal is. For the price doesn't seem like you can beat that. Anyone by chance have one or seen one. They're a Veteran owned company out of Texas. A lot of their videos are impressive for what they claim and are getting.

https://rebelsilencers.com/sos-hunter

I've handled quite a few at work. Shot a couple. I wouldn't waste a tax stamp on one.

Can you elaborate on that? Their specs (weight, sound reduction, etc) sure look good. Are they overstated?
Not sure how I feel about a centerfire can that is mostly aluminum, but if nothing else, they are interesting...

Reactions: Jsmoody84
I'll elaborate. They're mostly aluminum. Would not trust it on a centerfire rifle for more than a few shots. Machining was not impressive. Threads are rough. Keep in mind the weight is low at the cost of length and higher quality materials. Sound reduction was not all that impressive. Not sure what their numbers are. But I've never considered decibel numbers a good indicator of sound reduction. For the cost in wait time and the tax stamp I would be extremely disappointed no matter how good the deal.

Depending on what the use is there's quite a few good budget options out there.

Reactions: SupressYourself
Nothing wrong with aluminium for a centerfire can. Not ideal for high volume string shooting (e.g. competition) but perfectly adequate for hunting.

Your right on that one. The Gemtech Tracker is mostly aluminum. As are a few of the Griffin cans. Big difference there is they usually have a titanium blast baffle. But they are very limited. After ten shots they have to cool to ambient temps. So very limited use. Hunting for sure. But thats about it.

Shit cans. Keep on moving. It's a $200 tax stamp... why would you waste it on junk?

A good while back, they had a promo to expand their dealer base; they offered free rimfire cans for both the dealer, and the customer who linked them to the dealer. So I got my dealer to sign up and they sent him two rimfire micro cans. These were supposedly a $100-$150 value. They had exactly one baffle...

My dealer attached his to his .22 pistol, which he's ran dozens of cans on with no issue... End cap strike... and I'm not talking a small one. I'm talking 3/4 of the bullet was outside of the hole. If you were shooting a .223 rifle, and looking for good groups, the TWO holes in the endcap after that first round, would be a great start.

After seeing the can, and what happened to his... I told him to do with it whatever he wanted, I wasn't going to waste my money on a stamp. Everything about it looked and felt like junk. Yeah, it was free... but if that's what you're sending out as demo cans to build both your dealer network, and customer base, WHY would ANYONE buy anything?

A certain FB NFA group saw a bunch of people get these, and experience similar issues. On the flip side, a couple guys didn't have any issues; I know of at least one that combined the two cans into one, and ran it on an AR until it failed. It took several mags before failing. But it sure seemed like that would be the anomaly; the norm is cheap junk with issues.

Go with YHM if you want a value can. At least you'll have a good, solid product, with good support.

Reactions: HansohnBrothers
The suppressor market moves quickly, so there are deals to be had on closeouts, new products, etc. You just have to know what you want and act when the deals pop up.

The YHM cans are a great general use product and a great value at the current prices.

It seems like you wouldn't want to go as cheap as possible on an item you pay a $200 tax stamp and wait 6+ months for.

Agreed. If there were no tax stamp and no wait, these might be worth taking a chance on. -- This thread serves as a good reminder to check alignment on any new suppressor / rifle pair before shooting.

Stupid question, but what would be the major draw back of using a budget suppressor on a precision rifle? I see a lot of cheap cans popping up and I dont see how they could hurt.. maybe a bad false crown?

Stupid question, but what would be the major draw back of using a budget suppressor on a precision rifle? I see a lot of cheap cans popping up and I dont see how they could hurt.. maybe a bad false crown?
I'm interested in a more lengthy response but off the top of my head I can think of a few. Cheaper cans may not be held to the sort of tolerances you'd want, so there would be more end cap strikes or other issues related to poor alignment. Mounting solutions probably wouldn't be as robust as well.

Do you put budget glass on a "precision" rifle? My only interest in a buget can would be as a dedicated can for my 300 blk shooting subs.

Do you put budget glass on a "precision" rifle? My only interest in a buget can would be as a dedicated can for my 300 blk shooting subs.

I may be missing something. Maybe something huge... but I can't see the correlation between scopes and suppressors. Simply put a scope has a lot more moving parts that need to be repeatable, I could however see how you could compare it to a barrel. And no I wouldn't put a cheap barrel on any of my rifles but then again how much is a barrel blank? A closer comapaison would be a pre-fit but still your looking at $500~

Again not to be snarky or insulting, but I just dont tend to buy into the classic consumerist mindset. Especially when I don't understand something.

They won't behave well when hot. Your poi will wonder, but likely return to zero when cool. Same as a cheap barrel.

You may know more about this than I do, but when a cheap barrel walks with heat, it's because there's stress in the barrel that wasn't properly relieved. I can't imagine that having any bearing on how a can operates.

You may know more about this than I do, but when a cheap barrel walks with heat, it's because there's stress in the barrel that wasn't properly relieved. I can't imagine that having any bearing on how a can operates.

Well, if your can starts to warp from stress, your exit hole will move. That'll effect things just like a poor thread job.

I may be missing something. Maybe something huge... but I can't see the correlation between scopes and suppressors. Simply put a scope has a lot more moving parts that need to be repeatable, I could however see how you could compare it to a barrel. And no I wouldn't put a cheap barrel on any of my rifles but then again how much is a barrel blank? A closer comapaison would be a pre-fit but still your looking at $500~
Again not to be snarky or insulting, but I just dont tend to buy into the classic consumerist mindset. Especially when I don't understand something.
-
Scopes, barrels, triggers, cans, whatever. The point is that in general, you don't put cheap parts on an expensive rifle. It's only going to shoot as good as it's weakest link. The bullet does not have to touch the can to be affected by it. Slight misalignment when the bullet passes a baffle, or the end cap hole can cause erratic POI shifts. These are admittedly generalized statements, but I can't see the point of cheaping-out on a can to put on a $4,000+ rifle.

Reactions: culater and SDet
-
Scopes, barrels, triggers, cans, whatever. The point is that in general, you don't put cheap parts on an expensive rifle. It's only going to shoot as good as it's weakest link. The bullet does not have to touch the can to be affected by it. Slight misalignment when the bullet passes a baffle, or the end cap hole can cause erratic POI shifts. These are admittedly generalized statements, but I can't see the point of cheaping-out on a can to put on a $4,000+ rifle.
Very true. The Rebels we had for demo turned accurate rifles into shotguns, no baffle strikes though.