• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reccomended testing distances??

THE MGD

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2011
S. TEXAS
Looking for reccomended distances for tests listed below

My Setup:
Savage MK II FV SR 22LR, Falcon Menace 4-14x44 FFP, bipod, rear bag, DIP 25MOA base, kydex cheek riser, Benchrest shot, zeroed @25/50 yrds. Used remington golden bulk, shot nice out to 200yrds.
SilencerCo Sparrow availible but havent used yet until I panel a ammo test (ammo is a PITA to get variety right now but I should have it soon)

(feel free to copy/paste info below)
Tests:
-Check stability / keyholing
Dist. Reccomended ???yrds

-check for scope cant / level using a plum bob

-check and compare dialed to read (eyed through scope) scope mils.

-check dials return to zero from dialed dist

-Check suppressors POI shift repeatability
Dist reccomended ???yrds

Thank you all for any help and support.

Re: Reccomended testing distances??

100 yards in calm air should give you the results your looking for for ammo test.

Thanks for all the Info.
I got roughly a 1.75" groups at 200 with remington goldens. i finnaly got in more ammo to compare (i will get on that soon).
I have attached the sparrow to other firearms before, so I am aware to check for concentric mating before firing, and bullet stability prior to attaching. I do thank you for adding that, for the benefit of anyone else reading.
I have read elsewhere to do a plumb bob check at 30-50ft and set teh scope on the lowest magnification. Im not sure if this will mater with a FFP but i will try both methods (to include the one listed above by DFOOSKING, thank you).
I have a LRF and a roll-o-tape, i will use your method you listed to check the mils. then compare it to the rifles approx mil -> distance formula read. the scope is what it is for a cheapy, and im thinking my reticule in the tube is canted. I'll double check all of this. untill then, thank you for all the input.

If you got 1.75" groups at 200 yd. I guess I have been wasting my money on Eley 10X! That is great shooting with a RF.

I did some late 2012 testing with the bulk pack (525 count) 36 grain Remington Golden Bullets in one of my vintage Marlin 80DL's from 100 yards, and low and behold in that rifle it actually out shot some of my (what I considered) better ammo (Fed 510B & CCI Blazer), and I still can't believe it to this day. I've never been a fan of the Remington GB's and can't say that I am now, but this truly did amaze me.

Could have been the point of when the rounds of the different ammo transitioned to speed of sound is all I can come up with.

1.75 inches at 200 yards with RGB's is quite something.

(keep in mind my elv. turret cap spun loose on me at 100, so i need to recheck my dope)(in milrads, yrds@mils) i got 0@25/50, [email protected], [email protected]&1.2L, [email protected]&1.5L.
Dope at 200 verified by 2nd shooter, same POI but had a flyer on 5th round (ignored) as i dial my POA down, my POI goes down and L. As i dial my POA up, my POI goes up and R.

Conditions: 72*F, Barometer 30.24in, Alt approx 815, clear and sunny at noon, 10 to 4 o clock wind 0 - 1mph

zero at 25y, same hole bullseye slightly 9 o clock.

EDIT ADD:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joe Martin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
1.75 inches at 200 yards with RGB's is quite something. </div></div>
GODDAMMIT, here i was just farting around seeing how far the damn thing would hit, looked at my groups and thought, "meh, okay but nothing special" (probably used to centerfire resluts) and decided not to take a picture. Knowing my luck i'll also probably never be able to recreate this. Im going shooting this weekend...

You don't need a plumb bob ! Just use a good level and level your target on your frame. You can use any target that has lines or grids. I am a carpenter so I use a very expensive digital level on my target. I then use a bubble level on the rail to make sure the rifle is level. The only PITA is getting them on the same plane.