• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reccommendation for My new Rifle Scope

Blackrifle1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2012
Las Vegas, NV
Hi guys,

I just purchased a Savage FCP K from Turners in .308.....pretty much all they had available, but I do like the rifle alot. I live in Socal and I shoot at Pala which has a 890 yd range. Other closer ranges are maxed at 200 yds. I need some help with a scope for this rifle. Chances are, the 890 will be the absolute farthest I will shoot with it. Most likely I will be shooting in the 300- 700 yd range with this rifle.

I am open to your opinions to scope this rifle. My budget is around $850.00. I'm looking at 2 scopes, a Leupold Mark 4 3.5-10x40mm LR/T M1 Mt TMR and a Bushnell Elite6500 2.5-16x42 Mte DOA SF. I'm leaning towards the Leupold, but I'm wondering if the bigger magnification range of the Bushnell is better for my intended usage??

Thanks

I would highly recommend adding Vortex to that list. Really nice scopes for the price!!

DK

I forgot to mention that I can get a really good deal on the Bushnell and the Vortex. Also- I'm looking for your opinions on the magnification range that best suits my intended usage

I highly, HIGHLY recommend the Vortex Viper PST 6-24 FFP. It can be had for $850 if you do some digging (MSRP is $1050 I believe). It is a very good quality scope and will easily take you out to that range. Not to mention that their warranty and customer service is excellent.

Got rid of a Vortex Viper PST and went to a Bushnell G2DMR. Bushnell's Elite Tactical line of optics is on par with my Nightforce NXS F1. Just received a new Bushnell XRS 4.5-30x50 H59 ($2k) yesterday and will test it. out.

Last edited:
I highly, HIGHLY recommend the Vortex Viper PST 6-24 FFP. It can be had for $850 if you do some digging (MSRP is $1050 I believe). It is a very good quality scope and will easily take you out to that range. Not to mention that their warranty and customer service is excellent.

opticsplanet.com has the Vortex Viper PST 6-24 FFP for $949.00 free shipping. r363a85b to receive 10% off your next order of $49.99.

This scope has 65MOA of adjustment. By my calculations is I was mounting it on a 308 I would need a min of a 30 MOA base under to get out to 1000 yards. I would love some input from those that are running this optic if I am right or will I need a different base?

One time dealing with the pathetic excuse for customer service that Bushnell provides, you will run from that brand with a very bad taste in your mouth. The Vortex and Leupold are very good scopes for the money and both provide excellent customer service. Get the one that best serves your needs.

I have a Rem 700 AAC-SD in .308 with a Vortex Viper PST 6-24 FFP MRAD on it. I have a 20 MOA base and a 200 yard zero. Since the scope is bottomed out at 100 yards, and 200 yards is 0.6 MILs up, I am left with roughly 18.4 MRADS (nearly 63 MOA) of usable vertical travel. As you can see in my attached chart, I only require 10.4 MRADS of vertical adjustment to get to 1000 yards; this leaves me with tons of room. I would not go with more than a 20 MOA base if you ever want to dial down to 100 yards (even with the 20 MOA base, this gives me some issues because the scope is maxed out at 100, creating windage range issues). Hope this helps.

+1 on Vortex, have the 4-16 PST on my FCP-K works great and awesome warranty and CS if ever needed. 20MOA base will get you to 1000

Comb the PX for deals, there are usually some solid scopes in your price range there. I would recommend Vortex PST or Leupold Mk4.

Get with the SportOptics guys and they will hook you up on a Vortex PST. I recently got mine and its just awesome.

Vortex has a great reputation for customer service.

I also have one of their Red Dot Strikefires on my AR.

I second sportoptics and jay. Go with the vortex for a budget scope. I have a friend who had one and he loves it and they have a good reputation.

4.5x14x40 MARK4. Shouldnt have a problem finding it in the $700-$800 range depending duplex or mildot reticle. Over 100 MOA adjustment and side focus. 40mm will allow lower mounting of the scope also. I have 2 of them, seldom go higher then 10x for most long range work unless conditions are minimal though. but higher magnification is always nice to have.

A third for Sport Optics and Viper PST.

Sport Optics gives a VERY nice Sniper's Hide discount.

Definitely go with the Vortex Viper PST. I have 2, both 6-24. One is FFP and one is SFP and they are both excellent. I run a 20 MOA base with the one on my 308.