• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Receiver Set Help

bigjake83

Golden Shellback
Minuteman
  • May 19, 2013
    Southern Idaho
    So I'm looking for another project to start and I'm seeking help sourcing some NON-Traditional Barrel Nut to Handguard mounting style receiver sets. So far I already own the Following...

Seekins SP10
    LaRue OBR/Pred/Tar
    JP LRI-20
    DD5 V5

Any other recommendations would be appreciated 👍 LMT is obviously another option but due to Full Retard prices and availability it's not a possibility.

Last edited:
    Aero has their 'enhanced' uppers which have a flange to which their handguards mount.

Zev took over Mega who had a one-piece integral upper/handguard.

I have an Aero ar-15 set built out that is fully enhanced and it's a pretty solid connection. I also have the original Mega set in an ar10 configuration but have yet to build it out.

Aero has their 'enhanced' uppers which have a flange to which their handguards mount.

I have an Aero ar-15 set built out that is fully enhanced and it's a pretty solid connection. I also have the original Mega set in an ar10 configuration but have yet to build it out.

Aero is off the table, like I'd rather start giving Truck Stop Hummers to be able to afford something else before buying aero products.

The older Mega MKM's will be the holy grail but they are hard to find.

How about Hogan or POF? Hogan used to make POF’s uppers before they started making their own. The same upper was also used by GAP Precision before they went with the SP10. It is a very rigid platform which uses a thicker heat sink barrel nut. The handguard is also clamped on to the top of the upper receiver to add more rigidity to the platform.

Primary Arms has these on sale right now. I ordered one and the fit was so tight I had to bang them apart, and that was with no pins installed.

Edit: Just reread your post, probably not what you're looking for.

Primary Arms has these on sale right now. I ordered one and the fit was so tight I had to bang them apart, and that was with no pins installed.

Edit: Just reread your post, probably not what you're looking for.
    No but that's a good deal.

Reactions: bfoosh006
    Are you looking for something that isn't std barrel nut is that your question?

I imagine you'd know about it if there was.

How about KAC? Obviously as with LMT cost & availability are issues.

What not just another LaRue...............other than weight & handguard diameter, they work.

Or just another Seekins?

MM

I imagine you'd know about it if there was.

How about KAC? Obviously as with LMT cost & availability are issues.

What not just another LaRue...............other than weight & handguard diameter, they work.

Or just another Seekins?

MM

I actually don't like KAC SR25's at all, extremely overrated.

I'd take a LMT MARS-H with the 15" handguard over a SR25 any day!

I'm always down for another SP10😁

Last edited:
    Do you know if LMT has some kind of patent on the monolithic receiver/handguard upper? Are we stuck with them as the only offering because of that patent?

Do you know if LMT has some kind of patent on the monolithic receiver/handguard upper? Are we stuck with them as the only offering because of that patent?

The Seekins and JP aren't technically monolithic, a true monolithic upper has to be a solid one piece top rail like the older Mega, LMT, and LaRue OBR.

Reactions: LilGucci
    Colt 901?

I regret not buying one of the old Mega monolithics. If this had been a quad railed upper I’d have bought this one.

Last edited:
    So I'm looking for another project to start and I'm seeking help sourcing some NON-Traditional Barrel Nut to Handguard mounting style receiver sets. So far I already own the Following...

Seekins SP10
    LaRue OBR/Pred/Tar
    JP LRI-20
    DD5 V5

Any other recommendations would be appreciated 👍 LMT is obviously another option but due to Full Retard prices and availability it's not a possibility
    Mega MKM is hard to beat. We have a bunch of them. Most of ours are OG but Zev did a run of them recently I think. If you keep an eye out you can find one.

Reactions: 346ci
    I vote for another seekins. I have one and it’s done everything I need perfectly. Not as heavy as some of your other options so that’s a plus.

An under the radar that I wasn’t aware of until recently is the radian model 1. Not sure what the barrel nut is but man, after seeing one I’m afraid a finger may slip and buy a set to build.
    They are nice, but they have been very available for the last 18 moths or so. Looks like still pretty long lead time. Haven't checked lately, but I think they were only small frame though.

MM

They are nice, but they have been very available for the last 18 moths or so. Looks like still pretty long lead time. Haven't checked lately, but I think they were only small frame though.

MM
    I see a couple of 14” ones out there. They’re ridic expensive. While they look absurdly cool, looking at the barrel nut I’m not seeing any advantage over any other interface. They should have machined the rail to bolt onto the upper if they’re going to make it worth the extra price.
    69B1B9CD-D523-4434-A237-58EBFEB6C33E.jpeg

Aero is off the table, like I'd rather start giving Truck Stop Hummers to be able to afford something else before buying aero products.

Can you tell us why?

Remember a MSTN build where he used some of their parts and said it was a really good way to go on a budget.

Is it like drinking Folgers and eating basic white eggs, its what poors do, so you dont dare?
    Or something else?

Can you tell us why?

Remember a MSTN build where he used some of their parts and said it was a really good way to go on a budget.

Is it like drinking Folgers and eating basic white eggs, its what poors do, so you dont dare?
    Or something else?

No it has nothing to do with being a snob on budget parts, I haven't used theirs products in a few years but back when I did their QC was all over the place and I don't like the design of their enhanced uppers, it has the mounting system that I prefer but they did not reinforce the front of the upper forward of the ejection port so I don't feel like it has really increased the rigidity.

AP-APAR308504AC_3__60198~3.jpg

Compared to seekins or JP who have reinforced that critical area.
    062917_-_13_rv~3.png

Reactions: powdahound76
    Well stated answer.

Thanks.

Also, havent had issues with their stuff personally, but have seen that with more than 1 manufacturer.