• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Recent Remington 700 Action Problems?

Basic user

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Oct 11, 2013
    I heard from a custom gunsmith that the newer 700's with serial number beginning with RR are having extraction and camming issues and to correct it the bolt handle has to come off and get rewelded to the correct position. Anyone experience these problems? This just threw a monkey wrench into my new rifle build plans.

I heard from a custom gunsmith that the newer 700's with serial number beginning with RR are having extraction and camming issues and to correct it the bolt handle has to come off and get rewelded to the correct position. Anyone experience these problems? This just threw a monkey wrench into my new rifle build plans.

Did you already buy the gun? It may not be a problem, there are videos online that show how to determine if it is camming right or not. Lot go unfixed and un-noticed. Getting the handle fixed isn't a major issue. They are just silver soldered on. Similar to being brazed. LRI can take care of it or a local smith can. For as stupid as I am, and I braze things, then I am sure you could get it fixed without to much trouble.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Cowboy83
    Time and Tig is probably a more worthwhile endeavor than "blueprinting" with M700s.

If for whatever strange reason I decided to build a 700 I would for sure have it timed, and would only true/BP it if there was a lug floating, not making contact.

I have not purchased the action yet, and was shopping around to see how much more expensive a custom rifle from the start would be over just doing it myself and stocking a 700 barreled action and building it from there. This will be a 6.5 cm, medium range gun only (1000 & under) as I have other rifles to mess around with so a full blueprint might not be needed at this point depending on how she groups once completed.
    After asking a few smiths for ballpark figures one replied with the problems the newer 700s were having, and I don't want that, as I already have four project rifles still in the works and definitely don't want another.

My experience is that people make a far bigger deal out of the lack of primary extraction than it ever turns out to be in real life. If you have a chamber that's cut straight and brass properly resized, you need very little help extracting the brass to begin with.

Not trying to lead you astray here... But there is literally zero supporting evidence for blueprinting an action increasing accuracy potential. It's all theory based.

Everyone does it. Everyone recommends it, nobody wants theirs to be "the one" that has problems because they didn't. Nobody that I'm aware of has tested it and seen any difference.

If no one has tested it, how do you know it doesn't make a difference?

Ive never had an issue with my rr action even though it has weak primary extraction.
    Same, mine barely had any primary extraction (It was so bad that the trigger didn't reset when I lifted the bolt, had to pull back a little to get it to reset) but it was never a problem even with some stiff loads that gave heavy bolt lift.

Reactions: Ksracer
    Same, mine barely had any primary extraction (It was so bad that the trigger didn't reset when I lifted the bolt, had to pull back a little to get it to reset) but it was never a problem even with some stiff loads that gave heavy bolt lift.

Yea... That sounds like a quality piece right there

My experience is that people make a far bigger deal out of the lack of primary extraction than it ever turns out to be in real life

Probably the smartest guy in this thread ;)

LOL, I thought it was the G prefix that had timing issues corrected by the RR prefix actions.

Lots of BS I think.

I like this guys thoughts also...

But what would I lknow...

Mike R.
    Tac Ops

I had extraction issues with my stainless Rem700 300 win mag , had to get it timed correctly it was way off. LRI built it and we thought it was a bad extractor , LRI replaced it and didnt solve the issue. Found Jeff Hankins on YouTube talking about factory Rem 700 stainless actions having this issue and what needed to be done . I Sent it to him and he fixed it!

I had extraction issues with my stainless Rem700 300 win mag , had to get it timed correctly it was way off. LRI built it and we thought it was a bad extractor , LRI replaced it and didnt solve the issue. Found Jeff Hankins on YouTube talking about factory Rem 700 stainless actions having this issue and what needed to be done . I Sent it to him and he fixed it!
    Well, what had to be done?

Get a PTG bolt

Just get a PTG bolt.
    Sometimes PTG bolts need work too. I recently decided to use a PTG bolt that I bought a few years ago. I had to have a bushing put in the bolt face because the firing pin would drop behind a wall when retracted about .250".

I have not purchased the action yet, and was shopping around to see how much more expensive a custom rifle from the start would be over just doing it myself and stocking a 700 barreled action and building it from there. This will be a 6.5 cm, medium range gun only (1000 & under) as I have other rifles to mess around with so a full blueprint might not be needed at this point depending on how she groups once completed.
    After asking a few smiths for ballpark figures one replied with the problems the newer 700s were having, and I don't want that, as I already have four project rifles still in the works and definitely don't want another.
    If you have other rifles to shoot, I would buy a custom action rather than blueprint or otherwise alter a remington factory 700 action. I have had two, one short action/SS and one Long action. Both needed the scope base to be shimmied (Nightforce scope base). Two gunsmiths told me this was a common problem. Also unless you have a top notch gunsmith, you could end up with issues enlarging the screw holes for the scope base. On my SS short action, the bit wasn't sharp enough, and or too much pressure was applied at the end of drilling the holes and a dimple was created around the screws hole which put a bind on the bolt. Also these screw holes could be off center and cause problems on a factory action.

Yea... That sounds like a quality piece right there
    Well I never had a stuck case and you can’t chamber a round without pulling the bolt all the way back so in the end it isn’t any more or less functional then a custom or different factory action.

That being said, I did sell it and probably wouldn’t get another factory gun. But that is because I like the feel and features of the customs, not because I think it will shoot better. For someone of my skill level, I won’t see a difference in precision between custom or factory action. Barrel yes, action no.

Reactions: Ksracer
    My RR had no primary extraction, but it never caused any problems. I put a PTG bolt in on last rebarrel, and it has primary extraction now, but PTG drilled the ejector roll pin hole too big, so had to use non standard roll pin.

My G prefix has plenty of primary extraction.

The last several rifles I've built around a M700 were done on bare actions purchased without the bolt, trigger, or any of the other parts. I ordered three of these actions in 2-3yrs ago, placing orders for PTG bolts as soon as the actions arrived, and bought trigger pins, bolt stops & springs, etc. from Brownells. Being a little paranoid, and since all three rifles were for myself, I dialed-in each action in a TruBore Alignment 6-jaw unit. All three were within .0015" on the receiver faces, and the lug seats took no more than that. I skipped single-pointing the tenon threads, so can't say if they were off or by how much.

The PTG bolts were ordered with mini-16 extractors & .060" firing pin holes, along with PTG striker assemblies. Didn't make notes on how much I had to cut off the engagement surface (rear) of the bolt lugs, but IIRC, it was no more than a couple thou. Of course I had to dial the bolts in on the Tru Bore to take the cuts. Primary extraction with all three was fine. Since I'm doing all the work myself, I felt it was worth it to go with these bare actions as opposed to buying customs, but then I've got five competition LR rifles built on Bighorn actions, and since these were more "just because I want one" projects, it didn't make much sense to me to invest in custom actions. They all three (223AI, 6XC, 708 Improved 30*) shoot as good as I'd hoped, so I'm satisfied. I know in advance I won't be able to sell them for what a custom action-based rig would cost, but I didn't build them with selling in mind. My heirs can deal with that... But whether it's worth it to pay someone else to do this much work vs buying something like a Bighorn Origin .... well, you decide. If I weren't an experienced rifle builder, I'd most likely go with a reasonably priced custom.

My rr non blueprinted $350 "junk" action hasn't given me any headaches. Kinda funny when the action that nobody wants and a Criterion barrel is second high scoring rifle on the kyl stage.

Well that's good to know :)

To be clear, hammering off the old bolt handle and having a normal threaded handle TIG’d on offers exponentially more/better knob options. This alone makes it a worthwhile “upgrade” to most.

While primary extraction (or the lack thereof) is not necessarily a big issue, you might as well check it when replacing the handle anyway.

Yes . I purchased a new Remington 700 .223 barreled action from a well known seller in Wyoming in April. When I took the assembled rifle to the range for the first time to sight in, the very first round went into battery (77g Rem Premier Match), fired, but that's when the trouble began. Took great effort to lift the bolt handle and Captain America effort to pull the bolt back and eject the spent cartridge. I sent the barreled action back to the seller, and now it is at LRI for time/TIG on the action.

Not a great experience not what I paid a handsome sum for new components, but I am hopeful the action will be better than new when reworked.

My rr non blueprinted $350 "junk" action hasn't given me any headaches. Kinda funny when the action that nobody wants and a Criterion barrel is second high scoring rifle on the kyl stage.
    Imagine if you had an aftermarket action and a bartlein barrel. First place here we come! :p

Yeah and them Choates....

Reactions: PAYDIRT
    I think the reality of the modern Remington is it's a roll of the dice on if you're going to get a decent or problematic action/barrel/rifle. If you're wanting to buy a 700 footprint barreled action or rifle ready to shoot I'd check out Bergara. If you want to build custom from the ground up check out one of the more affordable 700 footprint actions.