• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Recession - 2022 / 2023 / 2024

I'm wondering if that will get the auto deflation domino falling. Small lots falling by the wayside and shedding inventory for pennies on the dollar will do it eventually, but I think carvana imploding might kick it off quickly.

Reactions: babyguppy
I'm wondering if that will get the auto deflation domino falling. Small lots falling by the wayside and shedding inventory for pennies on the dollar will do it eventually, but I think carvana imploding might kick it off quickly.
I'll key off of that thought with something I have going, as we speak. I have a 1997 Ford, F250, 4X4, gas engine with a manual ZF5 transmission at 160k miles. Really good, tight old truck. Time for a new clutch and a transmission rebuild. Nothing out of the ordinary. At my old age, I figured I'd look into having the job done at a local, reputable transmission shop that I dealt with over the years for my Amzoil. Went by there yesterday, with the truck. We only talked in "Ball Park" figures. Now, I know there are some of you who have connections with a shade tree mechanic who will work cheap, there is always a few in the group. To me, it's not worth the risk on a project of this magnitude. We discussed several "what if's" that they might find once everything is torn down. I full well accept that line of thought. After talking a while, a figure was arrived at..... $7,000 +/-....

Side bar:
How many Americans have $5000 in savings?
58% of Americans have less than $5,000 in savings.
More specifically, 42% have less than $1,000 in savings, while another 20% have more than $50,000 in savings.

So, with a situation like this facing the "Average American family of 4"... What do they do, in many cases ?
They take a beating on a dealership giving them scrap price for their broken down car, take just enough out of savings (or borrow money) to make a down payment on a new car. Why ? Because they qualify for financing and they never ask what the APR is......

This "ripple effect" at the beginning of the worst recession America has ever seen means this family will be still driving a car they purchased today.... 15 years down the road. If they are lucky enough to pay the note and not have it repossessed.

One more "Recession Bear Trap".... Same thing happened in the last 3 - 4 recessions. History will repeat itself.

Me, I will buy parts as my budget allows and if the Good Lord is willing, I will do the labor myself. May take me a week to get it done but that is acceptable.

I'll key off of that thought with something I have going, as we speak. I have a 1997 Ford, F250, 4X4, gas engine with a manual ZF5 transmission at 160k miles. Really good, tight old truck. Time for a new clutch and a transmission rebuild. Nothing out of the ordinary. At my old age, I figured I'd look into having the job done at a local, reputable transmission shop that I dealt with over the years for my Amzoil. Went by there yesterday, with the truck. We only talked in "Ball Park" figures. Now, I know there are some of you who have connections with a shade tree mechanic who will work cheap, there is always a few in the group. To me, it's not worth the risk on a project of this magnitude. We discussed several "what if's" that they might find once everything is torn down. I full well accept that line of thought. After talking a while, a figure was arrived at..... $7,000 +/-....

Side bar:
How many Americans have $5000 in savings?
58% of Americans have less than $5,000 in savings.
More specifically, 42% have less than $1,000 in savings, while another 20% have more than $50,000 in savings.

So, with a situation like this facing the "Average American family of 4"... What do they do, in many cases ?
They take a beating on a dealership giving them scrap price for their broken down car, take just enough out of savings (or borrow money) to make a down payment on a new car. Why ? Because they qualify for financing and they never ask what the APR is......

This "ripple effect" at the beginning of the worst recession America has ever seen means this family will be still driving a car they purchased today.... 15 years down the road. If they are lucky enough to pay the note and not have it repossessed.

One more "Recession Bear Trap".... Same thing happened in the last 3 - 4 recessions. History will repeat itself.

Me, I will buy parts as my budget allows and if the Good Lord is willing, I will do the labor myself. May take me a week to get it done but that is acceptable.

I'm thinking along the same line, but waiting for car prices to come down. Buying cars/trucks right now has me thinking like I do with guns and ammo. Common parts, readily available and cheap. 2006 f150 with a 4.6 is going to be sticking around a while. Wife may have to wait on her dream car a bit.

By the way, that zf5 is a bear to rebuild. I don't shy away from tearing into most transmissions , but that is one. The shop manual on it looks like the f/a-18 hornet manual. Daunting.

Reactions: NoDopes
I'm thinking along the same line, but waiting for car prices to come down. Buying cars/trucks right now has me thinking like I do with guns and ammo. Common parts, readily available and cheap. 2006 f150 with a 4.6 is going to be sticking around a while. Wife may have to wait on her dream car a bit.

By the way, that zf5 is a bear to rebuild. I don't shy away from tearing into most transmissions , but that is one. The shop manual on it looks like the f/a-18 hornet manual. Daunting.
Yep, I may just swap out the ZF 5 for a rebuilt one.... But, what can you expect when the German Ford engineers hide the hydraulic clutch slave cylinder in the bell housing... ?

Long and painful :(

Following the meeting, Fed Chairman Jerome Powell indicated that while there has been some progress made in the battle against inflation, he saw only halting signs and expects rates to hold at higher levels even after the increases cease.

iu

Caution: Soft landing ahead...

Ford said it sold more than 75,000 F-Series pickups in December, a 20.1% increase compared to a year earlier and the best month of the year as parts and supply chain problems disrupted production. Sales of the trucks still ended the year down 9.9% but better than the 13% they were down through November.

• Wow
Ford said it sold more than 75,000 F-Series pickups in December, a 20.1% increase compared to a year earlier and the best month of the year as parts and supply chain problems disrupted production. Sales of the trucks still ended the year down 9.9% but better than the 13% they were down through November.

Just wait until 2050 when the F150 is all electric and costs 560k dollars while the average american makes 60k a year. It can be yours today with a 960 month loan and zero down!

• Haha
Reactions: Doc68
To invest one needs excess earnings. Inflation is killing that option for many.

They go into debt because they have to and they'll never make enough to pay off that debt because income doesn't keep pace with inflation. So everyone is looking to the government to save them via Social Security.

It doesn't help that our economy is based around buying stupid shit you don't need.

I had this conversation with my 70 year old parents. They want to "help you kids" and I told them the first thing they need to do is stop spending money. Talk about a conversation killer.

The next few generations will either pull a rabbit out of a hat and save America or we'll turn into Soviet Union 2.0.

But, if you think about it.... Anyone carrying a balance on a credit card, car loan, medical bills, etc. is investing in the finance industry... LOL...😭
I would argue that they are in servitude to the finance industry. Thats not investing - unless you are the bank.

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
Invest in "Finance Companies"... The wave of the future for American's

Nope. Invest in insurance companies. The average American life expectancy is plummeting and most policies don't pay out for "died suddenly".
But I'd still avoid pension investments. Those are all about to crash.

Perhaps this is a "Political Move"...

The Federal Trade Commission on Thursday said it is proposing a rule to ban employers from imposing noncompete agreements on workers and to rescind all existing noncompete agreements.
The FTC’s reasoning: Such agreements, which affect millions of rank-and-file employees and independent contractors across industries, in addition to business executives, have suppressed competition, wages and entrepreneurship.

Reactions: gigamortis
Perhaps this is a "Political Move"...

The Federal Trade Commission on Thursday said it is proposing a rule to ban employers from imposing noncompete agreements on workers and to rescind all existing noncompete agreements.
The FTC’s reasoning: Such agreements, which affect millions of rank-and-file employees and independent contractors across industries, in addition to business executives, have suppressed competition, wages and entrepreneurship.

will this make it easier for those that get laid off to find new jobs?

2023 will be the "long glide, dead stick approach"...... The amount of free Government money being doled out in 2023 will be staggering......
Wait, GOP controls the House now (if they can settle on a Speaker), can't they slow down the giveaways since the House manages the purse?

Yes, saw this first hand. Initially Ford did not take the bailout money that GM got but Ford did get a contract for a BUNCH of stripped F150s for the Federal agencies. We called them Obama Trucks

will this make it easier for those that get laid off to find new jobs?
It would seem that way. Appears is a a States Right issue and not Federal.
Only three states ban employee noncompetes: California (since 1872, see Edwards v. Arthur Andersen LLP, 44 Cal. 4th 937, 945 (2008)); North Dakota (since 1865—before North Dakota was even a state, see Werlinger v. Mut. Serv. Cas. Ins. Co., 496 N.W.2d 26 (N.D. 1993)); and Oklahoma (since 1890—before Oklahoma was a state, see Brandon Kemp, “Noncompetes in Oklahoma Mergers and Acquisitions,” 88 Okla. B.J. 128, 128 (2017)).

"Social Assistance" ?????? The warm and fuzzy word for minimum wage, no benefits and shows up to work 1 - 2 days a week.... :(

Anyone betting on Health care + social assistance jobs to pull America through this recession ?

Inflation at a 40 year high... and that's just the "fake" inflation numbers... and everybody is now admitting it isn't "transitory".
Keying off of a conversation from almost a year ago:

Domino's are falling..... Big changes at Defiance.

• Wow
Keying off of a conversation from almost a year ago:

Domino's are falling..... Big changes at Defiance.

gov calling food at anything under 10% is a joke.
eggs from 1.00 to 7 dollars a dozen
sirloin from 4.99 to 9.99 a lb
chicken breasts from 3.99 to 7.99 a lb
Hell, even pork has gone sky high. Granted if you can buy 'ALL' you pork needs twice a year and catch the big July and December sale.. you can save money. Same with Turkey. If you can afford to buy 20 birds around Thanksgiving and keep them frozen (electrical costs) you can do ok.
etc...
I'd like to see the 'food' the government is using to figure out their inflation rate.
cabbage? broccoli?

Reactions: gigamortis and BCP
Hell, even pork has gone sky high. Granted if you can buy 'ALL' you pork needs twice a year and catch the big July and December sale.. you can save money. Same with Turkey. If you can afford to buy 20 birds around Thanksgiving and keep them frozen (electrical costs) you can do ok.
etc...
I'd like to see the 'food' the government is using to figure out their inflation rate.
cabbage? broccoli?
I'd like to scan over the price increases on the "food" that the White House is buying as well as every Governor's Mansion.
Propaganda - - - - The price of hosting a single state dinner can exceed half a million dollars. For the most part though, the president and first family eat in private, just like ordinary folks. In a 2018 interview with Jimmy Kimmel, former First Lady Michelle Obama revealed that the first family must pay for their own groceries.Oct 8, 2022

etc...
cabbage? broccoli?

Their inflation calcs are straight up propaganda. The whole thing is designed to keep the peasants stupid while making a small number of people fantastically wealthy.

Just wait some moron will post up about how he's not affected because he buys rice/beans online from a bulk warehouse in Malaysia and his corner of Oklahoma has offgrid unlicensed potato farms :ROFLMAO:

I'd like to scan over the price increases on the "food" that the White House is buying as well as every Governor's Mansion.
Propaganda - - - - The price of hosting a single state dinner can exceed half a million dollars. For the most part though, the president and first family eat in private, just like ordinary folks. In a 2018 interview with Jimmy Kimmel, former First Lady Michelle Obama revealed that the first family must pay for their own groceries.Oct 8, 2022

LOL

First Lady Michelle Obama revealed that the first family must pay for their own groceries

How much did lobster increase thanks to mike? O's never paid a fk'n dime.. you don't go into the presidency worth less than a million and come out with 35million on the President's salary.

NEW ORLEANS (Reuters) - The Federal Reserve's effort to shock the economy back to lower inflation is in its early days, making it tough for the U.S. central bank to avoid overdoing it with higher-than-needed interest rates, a top economic adviser in the Obama White House said after a fresh review of Fed policy since World War Two.
The Fed has raised its target policy rate by more than 4 percentage points in the last year, and "we are just now entering the window where the effects might start to be noticed," Christina Romer, an economics professor at the University of California, Berkeley, and chair of the White House's Council of Economic Advisers (CEA) from 2009 to 2010, told a national gathering of economists late on Saturday.

Last edited:
Anti strike legislation.... Take note:

LONDON — U.K. Prime Minister Rishi Sunak is preparing to meet union leaders this week for what he hopes will be “constructive” talks as he seeks to halt nationwide industrial action, even as his government prepares controversial anti-strike legislation.
Tens of thousands of workers have walked out across industries in recent months to demand better working conditions and pay raises in line with inflation, which is still running at double digits in the U.K.

Yes, saw this first hand. Initially Ford did not take the bailout money that GM got but Ford did get a contract for a BUNCH of stripped F150s for the Federal agencies. We called them Obama Trucks

Yup Ford did not take the money, Dodge got bought out by Fiat leaving only GM to get the hand out.

At one time I was a very GM guy, hell I worked for them, both in dealers (not really working for GM) and at Pontiac training center. Then not long after leaving my transmission went kaboom at 20k miles, ok it happens covered. Kaboom again at 50k, not covered, fixed and sold never to buy another GM in my life.....but I do like the new Corvette. Never buy one but it does look nice.

LOL

First Lady Michelle Obama revealed that the first family must pay for their own groceries

How much did lobster increase thanks to mike? O's never paid a fk'n dime.. you don't go into the presidency worth less than a million and come out with 35million on the President's salary.

Ain't that the truth, I want an answer to that question....not that we will ever get it. Oh you "invested" wisely......how is that, knowing what congress is working on, what you are going to pass that will "help out" this or that sector then buy into that......AT FUCKING BEST.

Reactions: NoDopes
Taxes on real property and real estate would also be less likely to reduce economic growth. Under the U.S. tax code, a tax on the imputed income from owning a residence would not be unconstitutional. Congress could pass legislation for a progressive imputed income tax from owning a residence, and it would be an effective way to raise revenue and tax conspicuous residential housing consumption.

Let's tax the middle class out of existence. You will own nothing and you will not be happy.

Let's tax the middle class out of existence. You will own nothing and you will not be happy.

Yeap. Notice how they always talk about stuff like "Corporate Windfall Tax" but when it actually happens its targeted directly at the middle/lower classes. Like slight increases in sales or property taxes or whatever. The millionaires in Congress aren't going to raise their own taxes lol.

A. somewhat, different type of a recession. Worldwide and never seem before. Interesting to watch it unfold and observe how many so called "Experts" are being proven wrong.

The Swiss National Bank on Monday reported a loss of 132 billion Swiss francs ($143 billion) for the 2022 financial year, citing preliminary figures.
It represents the biggest loss in the central bank’s 116-year history and equates to roughly 18% of Switzerland’s projected gross domestic product of 744.5 billion Swiss francs. Its previous record loss was 23 billion francs in 2015.

As a result of all this, he said, the central bank is making working- and middle-class Americans pay with what he expects will be a punishing recession. - Siegel

Travel and Leisure update, things are still going full regard, occupancy at 98-100%. People are still spending like mad to get that “vacation”, and the company is happy to sell it to them.