• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rechambering winchester M 70 6.5 55 Ackley Improved to 6.5 55 Swedish ....what is involved to do this ?

I’m gonna say no, unless you have a ton of cylinder on your barrel. That’s gonna require a major setback. Almost all of that Ackley chamber is going to need to be removed.

Yes..I would like to use the same barrel, and just have it re-chambered from 6.5 55 Ackley Improved to 6.5 Swedish.
You’ll need to get in touch with a Smith.

I’ve got an FN (basically an M70 action) and when it comes time to replace the barrel, I’m calling Chad at Long Rifles Inc.

They’ve got a website with contact info.

Give them a ring and they can provide all the details to give you a definitive answer.

Thanks for that information !

Is the rifle a lightweight hunting rifle or a heavy barrel?
If it's lightweight, there's absolutely no way the barrel has enough heavy section (just in front of the receiver) to allow it to be cut off and set back.

The improved version is larger in diameter from about .200 inches in front of the base of the brass and has almost no taper to it.
The original case has a heavy taper.

You can't put material back into the chamber for the original cartridge, but you can remove it to allow for the Ackley Imoroved.

Here's an image:
Screenshot_20221029-090834_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: Stevo86
The barrel is 26 in stainless heavy
Ackley Improved...is chambering to 6.5 x 55 Swedish possible?
You need to measure how much cylinder the barrel has. That’s the non-tapered portion just in front of the action face. You're gonna need 2”-2.5” of it approx. Prior to the work, the entire body portion of your ackley chamber needs to be cut off, if this puts you into the taper forward of the cylinder, there may not be enough diameter to create a shoulder when the new tenon is cut.

OP prolly doesn't reload.
I'd keep it as the Imp and shoot the shit out of it.
As would I. Reloading or not the 6,5x55AI usually performs well enough with standard 6.5x55 Swede ammo.

I am curious as to why OP wants to rechamber and what benefits he's looking for doing so.

You'd lose a small amount of velocity, but you'd get these nicely formed Ackley improved cases. When reloaded, they perform better with higher velocity

Good question !
What would be the incremental benefit of firing 6.5 55 Swedish in a barrel chambered for Swedish vs chambered for Ackley Improved ?
"Incremental benefit"? What do you mean?

Since performance loss is minimal "fireforming" factory loaded 6.5x55 in an AI, I wouldn't spend money rechambering.

Better maybe to put that money towards reloading equipment.

I still would like to get my questions answered though...

"Incremental benefit"? What do you mean?

Since performance loss is minimal "fireforming" factory loaded 6.5x55 in an AI, I wouldn't spend money rechambering.

Better maybe to put that money towards reloading equipment.

I still would like to get my questions answered though...
How much performance loss from "fireforming" factory loaded 6.5x55 in an AI, I ?
Changing the rifle to specification for firing 6.5 55 Swedish.

The purpose of making an AI chamber is to be able to shoot standard ammo as well as AI handloads. When you shoot standard ammo the case expands to the AI size and then can be reloaded with AI dies instead of standard ones. The AI chambering will give you more velocity and less brass growth.

The purpose of making an AI chamber is to be able to shoot standard ammo as well as AI handloads. When you shoot standard ammo the case expands to the AI size and then can be reloaded with AI dies instead of standard ones. The AI chambering will give you more velocity and less brass growth.
K

Depends on a lot of variables but ~50 fps.
You probably won't notice.
K

Why? Not sure why you want to take a step backwards.
6.5 ackley improved is one of the better AI cartridges.
I have a 6.5x55 SE, once the barrel is shot out, I'll rechamber to 6.5 AI.
The Swede is a fine cartridge, but requires constant trimming due to the taper.
By some 6.5 factory loads, shoot them in the rifle, now they are fireformed, reload, enjoy the extra velocity and the freedom from trimming.

Reactions: Mike Casselton
Why? Not sure why you want to take a step backwards.
6.5 ackley improved is one of the better AI cartridges.
I have a 6.5x55 SE, once the barrel is shot out, I'll rechamber to 6.5 AI.
The Swede is a fine cartridge, but requires constant trimming due to the taper.
By some 6.5 factory loads, shoot them in the rifle, now they are fireformed, reload, enjoy the extra velocity and the freedom from trimming.
After getting everyone s helpful advice I've decided to look for some reloading equipment, and in the meantime collect fireformed cartridges .
Where can I find used reloading equipment for 6.5 55 Ackley Improved cartridges ?
Thanks to everyone for their wise counsel !

After getting everyone s helpful advice I've decided to look for some reloading equipment, and in the meantime collect fireformed cartridges .
Where can I find used reloading equipment for 6.5 55 Ackley Improved cartridges ?
Thanks to everyone for their wise counsel !
You know, after looking at it, I didn't realize how hard it was to find reloading dies for it.
The 6.5x55 is a dandy cartridge, hampered by very low pressure factory loads.
You can have a custom set of Lee dies made for a about 250 bucks.
Redding would also make you a set of custom dies.
A quick google search didn't show any for sale.
It appears that you are restrained by budget.
maybe consider having it rebarreled to .260 Rem for similar performance and ease of getting components.
FWIW, the rebarrel would cost more than the die set.

FWIW, the rebarrel would cost more than the die set.
This.

A Lee collet die and trim pin for 6.5x55 Swe would work in a pinch. But getting good equipment will save you money and trouble in the long run.

If money is tight find a factory cartridge to your satisfaction, be it hunting or target shooting. (Save the cases until things change.)