• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Recipes for Eggnog whose got one?

BoredEngineer

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 20, 2010
CA, San Jose
It's been a long while since I've been able to digest milk without almost dieing of dysentery.Since they don't make a lactaid version I figure I might as well try and make it myself.

Anyone have any favorite eggnog recipes they don't mind sharing? Oh and has anyone gotten sick from eggnog before? Seen so many recipes that don't use eggs but I've never heard of anyone getting sick cause of it.

Re: Recipes for Eggnog whose got one?

pretty old fashion but love it.

4 egg yolks
1/3 cup of sugar
3 ounces of bourbon
1 teaspoon of nutmeg
1 cup of cream (heavy)
1 cup of 2% or whole milk

if you want you can add the egg white but some people get wigged out about the possibility of salmonella.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SuperSniperConner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if you want you can add the egg white but some people get wigged out about the possibility of salmonella.</div></div>

Ah.. its just salmonella... 140,000 get diagnosed every year and only 30 die... so you're good to go
smile.gif

Go buy some Southern Comfort egg nog.....add 1.5 shot of good bourbon per cup. I hate egg nog in general but the SC brand stuff is good.

Evan Williams also makes some pretty good stuff. I like to thin it down a little with some Jack Daniel's.

I've got one for you here:
ICE CREAM EGG NOG

12 eggs, separated
12 tablespoons sugar
12 tablespoons rum (3/4 cup)
12 tablespoons whiskey (3/4 cup)
1 1/2 pints heavy or whipping cream, whipped
1 1/2 to 2 quarts good quality vanilla ice cream
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg

Use only a high quality ice cream for this recipe; bargain brands contain too much air and chemicals. Read the label! French vanilla flavor also works well.

Beat egg yolks until light and fluffy using the wire whisk attachment of an electric mixer. Gradually add sugar, beating until light. Slowly pour in rum and whiskey while beating on low speed. Add nutmeg.

Separate eggs and beat until stiff peaks form. Fold in. In a chilled bowl of an electric mixer, beat heavy cream until whipped (a tablespoon of vanilla/rum can be added to flavor the cream). Gently fold the whipped cream into the egg nog.

Serve well chilled in a large punch bowl with dollops of ice cream. Have spoons available.

(Adapted from the recipe used by Miss Jennie's Restaurant.And taken from a site called "Cooks.com")

Or,
MOM'S EGG NOG (NON-ALCOHOLIC)

32 oz milk
3 tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
3 eggs
dash of nutmeg

Mix all ingredients together in a blender. Blend and serve cold.

It was from this site that I'd gotten a few different recipe's for Bailey's Irish Cream. Yeah, that stuff can be good.

That sounds good, but looks like a lot of work.

Try this.....buy egg nog, add alcohol.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: isptroop38</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That sounds good, but looks like a lot of work.

smile.gif
</div></div>

This one has worked for me for years

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oldgrayone</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: isptroop38</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That sounds good, but looks like a lot of work.

smile.gif
</div></div>

This one has worked for me for years </div></div>

Yeah wish it was that simple. But as I mentioned earlier my stomach can't handle the milk or store bought eggnog. I'd just end up spending the holiday season on the toilet.

Sean thanks for the recipe I am gonna try it out tonight, but with lactaid.

Buy: One litre Remy Martin XO (or better) Cognac.

Drink: Several snifters Remy Martin XO (or better)Cognac.

Forget: Christmas, and that disgusting sweet bullshit.

What could be simpler?
product_xo_excellence_1er_cru.gif

Unless your the 1%, then drink this:

220px-LouisXIIIdeR%C3%A9myMartin.jpg

Production

The cognac is manufactured using grapes from the Grande Champagne territory of Cognac, France. It is blended from 1200 eaux de vie, some more than a century in age. Then it is aged in tiercons (oak barrels that are several hundred years old) in its own cellar.

On 15 June 2011 the cognac house launched a Jeroboam bottle of Louis XIII,[1] a magnum decanter with the price of €16,000 ($22,600).

Every Christmas my Mom would get a fresh goose, for gooseburgers, and my Dad would whip up his special eggnog out of bourbon and ice cubes.

I use 6 to 7 oz. Bullet Bourbon
ice
and store bought eggnog

mix bourbon and ice and leave eggnog in frig. Pretty good for every season.

Cheers

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SuperSniperConner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
if you want you can add the egg white but some people get wigged out about the possibility of salmonella.
</div></div>

Salmonella exists on the outside of the shell (fecal material on the outside) not in the white or yoke (unless you cross-contaminate) and we have zillions of them in us with no ill effects. Salmonella doesn't hurt you, it's the toxin it creates when it's allowed to multiply due to time/temp abuse that hurts you, i.e it's not an infection, it's an intoxication. Raw eggs are perfectly safe as long as you know what you're doing. (I took a few food tech classes during my undergrad).

Alton Brown's recipe from food network:

Ingredients

* 4 egg yolks
* 1/3 cup sugar, plus 1 tablespoon
* 1 pint whole milk
* 1 cup heavy cream
* 3 ounces bourbon
* 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
* 4 egg whites

Directions

In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the egg yolks until they lighten in color. Gradually add the 1/3 cup sugar and continue to beat until it is completely dissolved. Add the milk, cream, bourbon and nutmeg and stir to combine.

Place the egg whites in the bowl of a stand mixer and beat to soft peaks. With the mixer still running gradually add the 1 tablespoon of sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.

Whisk the egg whites into the mixture. Chill and serve.

Cook's Note: For cooked eggnog, follow procedure below.

In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the egg yolks until they lighten in color. Gradually add the 1/3 cup sugar and continue to beat until it is completely dissolved. Set aside.

In a medium saucepan, over high heat, combine the milk, heavy cream and nutmeg and bring just to a boil, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and gradually temper the hot mixture into the egg and sugar mixture. Then return everything to the pot and cook until the mixture reaches 160 degrees F. Remove from the heat, stir in the bourbon, pour into a medium mixing bowl, and set in the refrigerator to chill.

In a medium mixing bowl, beat the egg whites to soft peaks. With the mixer running gradually add the 1 tablespoon of sugar and beat until stiff peaks form. Whisk the egg whites into the chilled mixture.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: maggot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

What could be simpler?
product_xo_excellence_1er_cru.gif

Unless your the 1%, then drink this:

220px-LouisXIIIdeR%C3%A9myMartin.jpg

Production

The cognac is manufactured using grapes from the Grande Champagne territory of Cognac, France. It is blended from 1200 eaux de vie, some more than a century in age. Then it is aged in tiercons (oak barrels that are several hundred years old) in its own cellar.

On 15 June 2011 the cognac house launched a Jeroboam bottle of Louis XIII,[1] a magnum decanter with the price of €16,000 ($22,600).
</div></div>
Mmmm... good stuff. About 10 years ago I was at the Airport Omni in San Antonio, drinking after a meeting. Behind the bar was a bottle of Remy under lock and key. $250 per serving was going rate, of course, I passed. Then walks in some big shot business guy, who just closed what appeared to be a multi-million dollar deal. He tells everyone, all 3 of us at the bar, drinks were on him. I'm like, "seriously", he says, "sure, whatever your flavor", so I ordered two of the Remy. Turns out, I got the last of it and there was some weird tradition that he who gets the last sip, get's the bottle. I still have it in my cabinet, guess it's fairly valuable.

Was it good? Oh yes. Would I drop that kind of dime on it? Not with my income, but someone else's for sure.

Netranger,, that bottle is "Baccarat Crystal", if that means anything to you. It does, to some.

Otherwise, it's just something fancy to store your leftover tomato soup in, in the refrigerator.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sean the Nailer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Netranger,, that bottle is "Baccarat Crystal", if that means anything to you. It does, to some.

Otherwise, it's just something fancy to store your leftover tomato soup in, in the refrigerator.
wink.gif
</div></div>

So, I assume using it for bacon grease for biscuits and gravy, is inappropriate?

Not only do they imply that it (the crystal) makes things taste better, like the booze and the soup; they also imply that it 'tinkles' better, when you shoot it.

Especially once it's filled with cold bacon grease, then it 'splodes real good. Musical tinkling!!! But only the first time. Any consecutive hit is never as good as the first.

Southern Comfort egg nog is by far the best store bought egg nog I have ever tasted.

When getting Southern Comfort eggnog, start with the one called "Traditional". In my opinion it is the best one, the Vanilla one they make is not as good in my opinion but it is up to your taste.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: maggot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

Damn looks like I should have taken your advice. Been sick as a dog the past three days with salmonella poisoning. After reading up on some definite propaganda (bullshit) about how 1 out of every 20,000 eggs will have salmonella and the average person will maybe encounter one once every 84 years I decided not to temper the eggnog to 160F ( I also didn't have a food thermometer handy).

Long story short I found out one of the symptoms of salmonella poisoning is shitting blood. Oh and if you have any sort of poisoning activated charcoal works wonders.

Which recipe did it to you? Sorry to hear this.

Only ever heard of this, 3rd hand at best. Usually, the story starts: "A friend of my cousin's next-door neighbor's uncle said,,,,"

I found most of them to be the same with the only differences in choice of liquor,amount of sugar, vanilla extract. I guess the one that it was most like was the food network one by Alton Brown.

I know what you mean Sean. Guess its just my crappy luck when it comes to these sorts of things. My friends know me for finding weird shit in my food. One time I was eating Magnolia (filipino brand ) ice cream and found a huge piece of card board in it ,and Magnolia ice cream only comes in plastic buckets....

But yeah lesson learned cook the hell out of eggs. Salmonella sucks and it can lead to other health problems like Reiter's disease.