• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Recoil 308win vs 7mm Rem Mag

NamHunter

Private
Minuteman
Apr 9, 2014
I'm trying to establish the recoil difference if both a 308 win and a 7mm Rem Mag are loaded with 150gr bullets to 2950 ft/s. If both rifles have the same weight etc. they should produce the same recoil (according to Newton). YET the 308 burns 20%-25% less powder to achieve these velocities (which I assume is largely due to the more efficient energy transfer to a 30 cal bullet base).

Does the reduced charge mean that I can expect less recoil from a 308? I.e. Less powder =less gas produced = less recoil induced by the propulsion of gas ? If yes how much less recoil as estimated %?

Or is the higher charge required for the 7mm largely a function of the slower powder burn rate - I.e. less gas produced per gr of powder?

Can someone in the know help me out on this question?

Just do what I do. I stopped believing in recoil and my accuracy has gotten much better. If you are thinking about it you are anticipating it. The way I see it, it's just a pat on the shoulder from God for making a good shot :p

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Well that 308 load better have a 28" barrel to get 2950 and that 7 mag load is kinda slow isn't it. I don't have a 7 mag, but i shot 260shooter's and found it fairly mild considering it was a 168@3000. The reason the 7 mag needs more powder is due to case capacity, to get pressure which equals speed, means more powder. Another thing to think about is the bc of a 150 7mm is slightly better than the 150 30 cal. The way i look at recoil is this- same weight of bullet, same speed, and same weight of rifle equal same recoil. Atleast similar enough recoil that a shoulder couldn't tell the difference.

2950 is easily attainable with 150 class bullets even with a 22" barrel. I've driven 155 scenars over 3000fps in several 24" barrels.

Yeah i've gotten 2920 with 155 palma on one 24" barrel(savage). My fn 24", getting pushed harder, can only get 2870. I've had several20-26" 308s that could only get 2820-2875, that's my experience. I suppose i had a bunch of slow barrels but u can't always guarantee getting a fast barrel when comparing different cartridge choices. Don't most palma guys run 30-32" barrels and run 2950-3050? Granted part of the reason for their long barrels is sight radius, but they also hammer on their brass to get those speeds in 30"+ barrels . Hence lapua small primer308 PALMA brass

I stopped believing in recoil and my accuracy has gotten much better. If you are thinking about it you are anticipating it. The way I see it, it's just a pat on the shoulder from God for making a good shot :p

This. Get behind the gun correctly and ride it out,

I'm trying to establish the recoil difference if both a 308 win and a 7mm Rem Mag are loaded with 150gr bullets to 2950 ft/s. If both rifles have the same weight etc. they should produce the same recoil (according to Newton). YET the 308 burns 20%-25% less powder to achieve these velocities (which I assume is largely due to the more efficient energy transfer to a 30 cal bullet base).

Does the reduced charge mean that I can expect less recoil from a 308? I.e. Less powder =less gas produced = less recoil induced by the propulsion of gas ? If yes how much less recoil as estimated %?

Or is the higher charge required for the 7mm largely a function of the slower powder burn rate - I.e. less gas produced per gr of powder?

Can someone in the know help me out on this question?

You can calculate recoil here: JBM - Calculations - Recoil

Short answer recoil is computed using the entire ejecta mass, which mean bullet plus powder. The 7mm using a 150 gr bullet @2950 FPS will have felt recoil about 25% higher than a 308 win launching a 150 gr bullet @2950 fps due to the amount of powder used.

I shoot both and the 7 does recoil a bit more but I don't really notice in

I think my 30.06 without a recoil pad has more recoil feel then both you mention