• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Advanced Marksmanship Recoil management?

FWIW I don't load the bipod at all shooting prone in PRS. I've found loading the bipod will send my bullets high .2 mils or so. I want my rifle to shoot in the same place it does while prone as it does positional. Therefore, I put very very little influence from my shoulder.

For positional shots I free recoil and use my shoulder to "catch" the rifle and ensure I can watch my bullet land. The only time I lean or pull into the rifle is when the prop is extremely unstable like shooting off a rope etc. If the prop is stable you should be able to free recoil within 1MOA accuracy at just about any distance.

So I started this thread awhile ago and figure I should update a bit. I pulled the bipod off and now shoot strictly with bags. I’ve stopped forcing my shoulder into the rifle and all is going great. I can now stay on target and watch impacts. I cannot shoot prone as I have a bone defect in my arms that won’t let me hold the gun right so I am stuck using a bench. Thanks for all the help everyone it was much appreciated.

Reactions: Lunchbox27
I've learned a lot in the last 20-30 minutes of reading this thread.

I don't want to be that guy but I have a question after reading the comment someone said about you don't want the butt resting against a hard surface (tense shoulder) while shooting. so how are "lead sleds" beneficial? I've never used one personally but I thought they where known for "eliminating human error" just curious. that would contradict everything that's been said IMO.

I've learned a lot in the last 20-30 minutes of reading this thread.

I don't want to be that guy but I have a question after reading the comment someone said about you don't want the butt resting against a hard surface (tense shoulder) while shooting. so how are "lead sleds" beneficial? I've never used one personally but I thought they where known for "eliminating human error" just curious. that would contradict everything that's been said IMO.

When a rifle recoils into a shoulder it does not react the same exact way every time. Also, I've found when tensed, you input more motion into the rifle from flinching, heart beat, etc. A lead sled is a completely static object on the other hand. And will react nearly the same exact way every shot. It was mentioned above, it's not so much the technique you use it's about how consistently you can apply it. I've also found that heavier, longer rifles are much more forgiving of poor technique.

Reactions: DukeGSP
When a rifle recoils into a shoulder it does not react the same exact way every time. Also, I've found when tensed, you input more motion into the rifle from flinching, heart beat, etc. A lead sled is a completely static object on the other hand. And will react nearly the same exact way every shot. It was mentioned above, it's not so much the technique you use it's about how consistently you can apply it. I've also found that heavier, longer rifles are much more forgiving of poor technique.
With that consistency it can be calibrated out, a sled that always hops in a direction can be calibrated out. Different gun in the same sled, different result.