• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Recoil on a PSS 308.

1975CJ5

Private
Minuteman
Oct 19, 2010
Wasilla Alaska
How bad is the recoil on the Remington 700 PSS 308? I just bought a HS Precision 700 PSS stock for my 308 SPSV
(bull barrel) and it's a basically a PSS now. The recoil pad is a thin piece of hard rubber. Just curious to see what the recoil is like. About 15 yrs ago I has a 308 M77 varmint and it kicked the hell out of me. I doubt it is bad, just askin.
Thanks Billy Jack

Re: Recoil on a PSS 308.

Really? Might want to just stick with the 223 then.
They aren't that bad, also the "PSS" hasn't been offered for many years. The 700 "P" on the other hand....

LOL WUT

Go shoot the F-in thing and see. You shouldnt need a break for the 308 especially if you load the bipod. Recoil on a 308 isnt that bad. I have a pretty light one and a bit heavier one and niether are that bad in the 165SGK-175SMK Range.

my 700P is in 300winmag. I swear the "felt" recoil is less than my M1 Garand. My 700P is a joy to shoot. I can only imagine that the 308 will be even better. The 700P's are so F'ing heavy they really do handle recoil well.

I just took my 8 year old out today to pop the pumpkins we had left on the front porch.

Neither him nor my wife had any problems with my M700 in .308. Granted it's in a B&C stock, but the weight of the two are very similar.

If you have been properly instructed on how to shoot the rifle, you should have no problem with the recoil of the PSS.

To the OP: I'll take the other side of the argument. I have an SPS-T in an HS Precision 5R takeoff stock so its basically the same setup as yours, maybe a tad lighter with the shorter barrel. And yes, while a .308 is not much recoil compared to larger calibers - I did notice that after about 60-100 rounds in a session, my shoulder was defintely sore. In addition, no matter how hard I tried to load the bipod correctly and get right behind the gun - I was 50-50 at best to keep the gun on target and see my hits for a follow on shot. I toyed with the idea of dding a limbsaver pad to the stock for better comfort and less fatigue during a long session on the range - but I ended up going with a Badger FTE brake instead. I went with the brake primarily for being able to see follow on shots and less about the felt recoil - but I have to tell you the brake is a godsend. It works phenominally well for both. The gun is a joy to shoot now and rapid follow on shots are a breeze. Some shooters might call me a pussy for putting a brake on a .308, but I think some of the lighter rifles like the SPS-T really benefit from it. My $.02

I wouldn't call you a "pussy" for braking a .308. I ordered my AI with a brake because I knew I would have to shoot it from positions that did not favor getting "straight" behind the rifle.

You will get fatigued after a long session. This is true of any high power rifle. Even a .223. You have to differentiate between "sore" and "hurt".

If you are healthy and you mount the rifle correctly. 100 round should not "hurt" you. You may be a little tender at the end of the day until your body gets used to it. If you don't shoot often enough to get used to it, then by all means, make accommodations to the weapon.

I don't feel a .308 "needs" a brake. However it's your rifle and if you feel it does, then go for it.

Like I mentioned, I have two braked .308's. I do it because it assists in accomplishing the mission those rifles are intended to fill.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Billy Jack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How bad is the recoil on the Remington 700 PSS 308? I just bought a HS Precision 700 PSS stock for my 308 SPSV
(bull barrel) and it's a basically a PSS now. The recoil pad is a thin piece of hard rubber. Just curious to see what the recoil is like. About 15 yrs ago I has a 308 M77 varmint and it kicked the hell out of me. I doubt it is bad, just askin.
Thanks Billy Jack </div></div>

A bit off topic but would sure appreciate your giving Sarah and Lisa a big smooch for me!!! Tonque would be a given but will leave it optional for you
wink.gif
Tell me what I am missing after the fact
smile.gif

A bit off topic but would sure appreciate your giving Sarah and Lisa a big smooch for me!!! Tonque would be a given but will leave it optional for you
wink.gif
Tell me what I am missing after the fact
smile.gif
[/quote]

Sarah yes, Lisa I'd need a 12 pack. Thanks for the feedback. I will shoot the F****ng thing but it will be after I can raise the money for a Mk 4 Leupold, just curious to see what the recoil was ass!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wouldn't call you a "pussy" for braking a .308. I ordered my AI with a brake because I knew I would have to shoot it from positions that did not favor getting "straight" behind the rifle.

You will get fatigued after a long session. This is true of any high power rifle. Even a .223. You have to differentiate between "sore" and "hurt".

If you are healthy and you mount the rifle correctly. 100 round should not "hurt" you. You may be a little tender at the end of the day until your body gets used to it. If you don't shoot often enough to get used to it, then by all means, make accommodations to the weapon.

I don't feel a .308 "needs" a brake. However it's your rifle and if you feel it does, then go for it.

Like I mentioned, I have two braked .308's. I do it because it assists in accomplishing the mission those rifles are intended to fill. </div></div>

Best post on 308 recoil I've seen, and there are a lot of them...

Keep it off of bone. Make a pocket with your shoulder, pull the rifle in tight. Don't let it accelerate into you. This used to be called "stock weld" before people started carrying sandbags around with them.

Consider a larger recoil pad, not thicker but one with more surface area. That way the recoil is being spread around on a larger area of your shoulder.

The most brutal rifle I shoot is my HK91. Small, curved hard plastic buttplate, mechanical action featuring a "buffer" (hahaha) to stop the bolt carrier's rearward motion, it's hard to shoulder it without it hitting bone. I am much more comfortable shooting my .300WSM in the AICS.

Yea a 308 will kick like a 308..... you cant change physics..

Sorry.. I have a 700T and Ive gone through 200 round sessions and have never gotten a sore or "hurt" shouldure.. Until me and my cousin started poppin off some of his double aut buck. Now thats a sore shouldure..

Pick up a decent 12g and pop a few shots and you'll know what real recoil is.. 308 is just loud after that.

Billy Jack, just put about 200 rounds down the barrel in a day and you will learn how its done.

I have used a brake on my rifle, not because I feel it needs reduced recoil, but because there are times when I like to see impacts at 600 yards on my scope dialed in at 22x mag. Without a brake this requires the utmost of focus on form and technique, something which doesnt *always* happen.

To be honest with you guys when I first got into shooting my impressions were that the .308 had significant recoil. After shooting lots and become mentally prepared for shooting much more so compared to when I first started, recoil isnt as bad.

I think hype and talk with other shooters prior to shooting can give people the wrong idea. I remember hearing people say .300winmag = sore shoulder. Today i think back and think whatever thats a load of crap.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wouldn't call you a "pussy" for braking a .308. I ordered my AI with a brake because I knew I would have to shoot it from positions that did not favor getting "straight" behind the rifle.

Like I mentioned, I have two braked .308's. I do it because it assists in accomplishing the mission those rifles are intended to fill. </div></div>

I'm with you on this one. A brake isn't "needed" but I prefer it. It just makes life a little easier when running a long day or string of shooting either on my own or at a shoot. I had an Ops Inc brake on my 700P .308 and put a Surefire on my wifes SPS-T .308 and will do it again too. I bought an AI brake to put on a Skunkworks Infidel for my wife. Sure the extra weight of the UGSW rifle will help with the recoil but if I can do something to help my wife then I'm game.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Billy Jack, just put about 200 rounds down the barrel in a day and you will learn how its done.

</div></div>

Mate, that's bad advice. you build yourself up to recoil. If you push into it you end up fliching.
You may not know you are but you end up with it and it's a bastard to get out of.

OP, shoot 20 rounds then shoot a .22rf for awhile. if you feel like more then shoot a few more .308's but don't do a lot in one sitting. Build yourself into it. Get used to it and you won't have a problem. The .22Rf will help show and stop bad habits before they set and is quite important.

Shoot it first, but if it wears on you. Put a brake on it. I've put brakes on many .308's. It's surprising sometimes how one will recoil so mild and the next one will wear on you. I had two brothers come through a course with two different Remington HB 700's. Both shot the same load and one felt like it kicked a fair amount more. Both eventually put brakes on.

The brakes will also help for extended range sessions and spotting you own shots if you are by yourself. Just get a thread protector if you want to take it hunting so you can remove the brake so you are not tempted to shoot it without earplugs (something you will only do once).

Good Luck,

JamieD

I shoot my 5R several times a week, 40 shots at a time and love how little recoil it has. I alternate between a 375 H&H mag so I may be biased, but my .308 seems to have very little felt recoil.

I have a Surefire brake on my PSS. I can't even remember what it was like before. Not fun, from what I recall.

everyone can tolerate different amounts of recoil. Also,,,it depends on how you shoot the rifle. I find that recoil is the Worst for me when I shoot off of the bench with a bipod. laying prone on the ground seems to generate less "felt recoil." When I shoot offjand...not much bothers me at all. If you handload, I would start out with lighter loads. I shot Hornady 110 Vmax bullets @ 3000 fps and they have a fair amount less recoil than most standard factory loads with 155-190's and they shat just as accurately if not more so at ranges up to 399 yards. A decelerator or Limbsaver pad will help also.

Shooting just about any "standard" 308 hits me in the shoulder pretty good. I'm all of about 140 and thin. Shoulder tends to take a beating if I'm shooting more than about 20 rounds (start knowing I'm going to flinch). With the suppressor attached, that # goes up by who knows how much. I'd say if you want to shoot it as much as you want, pony up.
That's just me.
Chad