• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Recoil Pad for 338 LM

cobbonthecorn

Private
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2012
Just wrapped up a newly built 338 LM and do not care for the recoil pad that came with my chassis. (Almost no padding.) I'm at a complete loss after looking at some of the choices on the market. Have heard the pad can be too soft or too hard, can mess with accuracy, can cause vibrations,etc. What brand/model are you using, how do you like it, does it play any role in accuracy, general info? Thanks in advance.

I have a savage 110ba and the butt pad is a bit hard, you can start to feel it in the shoulder after about 10 rounds. Then I got a barret m98b butt pad, it is made of a gel sole type material. Drilled and counter sunk the holes for a perfect custom fit. Now I can shoot 50 rounds or more no problem at all. Hands down the best mod I have done to my 338 Lapua.

I get a decelerator pad 1-2" thick, I have them on all my big guns 300 Norma, 338 lapua ai, 375 cheytac etc.

As far as pure recoil reduction goes, the kick eez seems to me to do the best job for reducing recoil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The pad on the Barrett 98B works well, I run the 300 grain Scenars fairly hot. The most aggressive was a maneuver at Ft McCoy last year 43 rounds in 6.5 minutes.

Cheers

Tampax..........Kidding!

pDGC1-12183974v380.jpg

I run a Choate stock on mine, 338RUM, 300OTM, Its just 1/2" thick hard rubber pad. The brake Shilen put on is very effective. I can run through a 100rd match with no shoulder pain. If its killing you, consider a more aggressive brake. A firm pad and good shoulder pocket lock in(like Diver said) is best. Maybe add a bit of weight to your chassis?

All joking aside, if you're getting rocked you need a better brake. I don't know if all the cushion in the world is enough with a big magnum hammering your shoulder. You need to dissipate some of that energy BEFORE it smacks into your shoulder. I'm still surprised how efficient the BARRETT brake is on my 338...

Look into one of the new APA Fat Bastards

Thanks for the input so far. I'll be at the range trying weight and brake, then decide how much pad I need. Again, thanks!

I am with agbm.

I have the Limbsaver Magnum recoil pad fitted to the butt of my AICS AX chassis, and a 2nd Generation Fat Bastard muzzle brake. The 20 pound rifle recoil felt lighter than my 6mm Remington. I shot over 60 rounds of 338LM in one day, I ran out otherwise I would have shot more. No discomfort of any sort; went and shot the very next day. I was working on load development and the bullet seating depth, trying to locate the node. The powder load was 96 grains of Retumbo, with 215M federal primer, and 285grain Hornady match HPBT.

And how do you grind the recoil pad to fit the stock? With a belt grinder?

Thanks for all the input. I have gone with the Kick-eez dual action 15/16 thick recoil pad. The decision came down to two important considerations, can the pad fit/be ground to fit the chassis, and can I put an additional hole through the recoil pad to access the butt plate adjustment screw. Several suggestions either had grinding dimension limits or have air pockets that limit drilling of additional holes. The Barrett and Kick-eez are made from the same material and allow for the drilling of additional holes and can be ground down to just about any dimension. The Kick-eez was much larger than the Barrett so it fit my application. One additional feature of the Kick-eez is that it is pre-mounted to a heavy black plastic base that matches the pad color. (Good for an adjustable chassis but maybe not for a fixed stock that would require material removal to account for the additional height.) Once the weather closes in I'll send the butt plate to the shop for surfacing, mount the recoil pad, and report back on the experiment. Thanks once again!

Thanks for all the input. I have gone with the Kick-eez dual action 15/16 thick recoil pad. The decision came down to two important considerations, can the pad fit/be ground to fit the chassis, and can I put an additional hole through the recoil pad to access the butt plate adjustment screw. Several suggestions either had grinding dimension limits or have air pockets that limit drilling of additional holes. The Barrett and Kick-eez are made from the same material and allow for the drilling of additional holes and can be ground down to just about any dimension. The Kick-eez was much larger than the Barrett so it fit my application. One additional feature of the Kick-eez is that it is pre-mounted to a heavy black plastic base that matches the pad color. (Good for an adjustable chassis but maybe not for a fixed stock that would require material removal to account for the additional height.) Once the weather closes in I'll send the butt plate to the shop for surfacing, mount the recoil pad, and report back on the experiment. Thanks once again!
Give us the spec's on the rifle, the pad will help some. You still may need a Muzzle brake to get the feel you want. How many rounds do you want to shot in a day?

Last edited: