• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Recoil reduction options?

bm11

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2010
Maine
Hello all,

I just started in long range shooting, not new to guns, but new to this realm of them. I bought an SPS Tactical in .308 after researching a lot, determining it would be a good platform to learn on. After shooting it for the first time the other day, I found that I definitely have a lot to learn (though I wasn't all that bad.)

However, it became apparent to me that I would like to do something about the recoil of the gun. I know in the grand scheme of things, a .308 is a pussycat, but after shooting 80 rounds through it in a session, I was pretty beat up. This came as a suprise to me, as I have shot .308's before- a friends DPMS LRT-SASS, the same friends APA with a 20" barrel in an AICS chassis, and another guy's TRG-22. None of these guns jumped like my SPS.

The caliber is the same, the two differences are:
A: No compensator.
B: Lighter overall package.

I'm sure that my form can use a little work, maybe I need to hold the gun a bit tighter? However, part of my plan in getting good at this sport is putting a ton of lead downrange, which would be a bit easier to do if I wasn't taking the abuse that I have been.

Would upgrading to a heavier stock make a big difference? What about getting the barrel threaded, and getting a good brake? Or do I need to do both?

I hate to sound like a wuss, and I am not a small guy (6'1, 245.) However, my shoulder was really red after that last session, and the last 20 rounds or so were pretty painful.

Just looking at options!

Thanks,

-BM

Re: Recoil reduction options?

My LTR kicked a bit too. The best thing I did was sign up for the online training. With the light stock you have to really focus on loading the bipod. When that is done correctly, a lot of the recoil is absorbed. It will be the best $10/month you can spend. I have put 100+ rounds through it in a session and wasn't too beat up once my form was better, even though it is still far from perfect.

On the other hand, I upgraded my stock to an McMillan A5 about 6 months into it, which has helped cut down on the felt recoil.

My suggestion is to upgrade the stock and sign up for lessons. For the cost of half a box of bullets, you get invaluable tips.

Definitely signing up for lessons!

I did TRY loading the bipod, didn't have much success, the bipod didn't "dig in" at all in the loose gravel, the gun just kind of slid forward.

Probably where the lessons will come into play though, I'm sure with the right technique, I could have loaded it better, which would have also resulted in less muzzle rise= faster follow up shot.

I'm signing up tonight or tomorrow.

A recoil eliminator, as in a muzzle brake?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BoRepeater</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A good recoil eleminator would allow you to see your hits, no spotter required, and speed up your follow up shots, as you should be able to stay on target better. </div></div>

So will properly loading the bipod ........ also, when you watch the video on loading the bipod they shoot it off a wood deck.

I am sure that someone with more experience than me will chime in with the appropriate advice.

I find that a properly fitting stock will help mitigate the recoil a lot. I have shot over 100 rounds in a weekend with my 7WSM with no brake and had no issues of pain or sore shoulder. But yet, when I shoot a 5R or a SPS, it beats me up every time.

So, I went to sign up for my online training, is "Silver" what I want? It said "do not choose this option at this time," or something to that effect. Silver was $14.95, I would sign up for it in a heartbeat, but it said not to. What gives?

I'm on it, thanks.

So it's $150 to sign up, then $10 a month thereafter, yes? Just want to make sure I'm doing this correctly.

Taming a .308s (minimal) recoil is not a hard thing to do; granted you have the knowledge. I'll vouch for the training here too, it's worth every penny three times over.

I shoot 140-180 of .308 every weekend in a bolt gun,(and quite a bit more in a semi) and my shoulder's fine. No, I didn't put a squishy pad on my stock, and no, I didn't put a brake on a .308, I just load the bipod and go over the basics from the online training here. Nothing to it.

Also, add weight to your gun before you get a brake for it. Brakes are not well taken to at ranges, and chances are you'll get better results from adding weight too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adician</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Taming a .308s (minimal) recoil is not a hard thing to do; granted you have the knowledge. I'll vouch for the training here too, it's worth every penny three times over.

I shoot 140-180 of .308 every weekend in a bolt gun,(and quite a bit more in a semi) and my shoulder's fine. No, I didn't put a squishy pad on my stock, and no, I didn't put a brake on a .308, I just load the bipod and go over the basics from the online training here. Nothing to it.

Also, add weight to your gun before you get a brake for it. Brakes are not well taken to at ranges, and chances are you'll get better results from adding weight too. </div></div>Right, well I'm leaning towards an AICS, which should do the trick, and I am signing up for the training tonight, so hopefully that should help as well. I might end up adding a brake in the future, as often I am the only one on the 200 yard rifle range at my range, and even when there have been other people, no one has hassled me about the (noisy) PWS brake on my FN SCAR.

Roger, then I can totally understand that. The AICS will do exactly what you want, I have extensive experience using a range buddies 300WM with AICS, and it's much more fun to shoot with a heavy barrel and the new stock as opposed to remington factory version.

If nobody's ever on the 200 line, then a brake will be no problem!
smile.gif

I'd still make sure to add the weight BEFORE you do any altering of the barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So it's $150 to sign up, then $10 a month thereafter, yes? Just want to make sure I'm doing this correctly. </div></div>

That is correct. You are paying for the previous lessons that you will have access to.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: blklabs</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So it's $150 to sign up, then $10 a month thereafter, yes? Just want to make sure I'm doing this correctly. </div></div>

That is correct. You are paying for the previous lessons that you will have access to. </div></div>Got it! I'll sign up tonight when I get home, I'm posting from my phone right now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fix the shooter. Leave the rifle alone.

</div></div>Working on that, and like I said, I'm signing up tonight!

Just as an update, I just wanted to let you all know I am a man of my word and I listen to advice.

I just signed up for online training.

Thanks again,

-BM

Well, been practicing lessons 1-4 or so, and made it to the range again...

I was able to get the muzzle to jump less, however, I got beat up pretty bad again. My collar bone is swollen, actually.

I think the issue perhaps is that I am pulling the stock into the bone, not the softer shoulder tissue. The bone doesn't make an ideal area for absorbing recoil, hence the continued hop and abuse.

Holding it against the bone keeps it closer to the center line of my body though, so I'm not sure which is more proper form...

The body centerline is not the goal, you still want it in the shoulder pocket it just runs parallel to the spine not in line with it.

If your getting beat up it usually means you don't have it tight in the shoulder, it is getting a head start

I had the same problem with my .270 Win. Bipod load, stock shift, nothing worked. I added a Limbsaver butt pad and all is good. I can shoot to my heart's content with absolutely no discomfort. They work as good if not better then they advertise. Thirty five bucks well spent.

No doubt lessons different stock and shooting will help, but I have to chime in re the Limbsaver pad.

I have range on my property. Try to shoot every day as civilization starts to encroach.

I have had some not shooting related shoulder issues (or at least did not begin with shooting) on rt shoulder and was chronically sore. Shooting a heavyweight M40 in .308 made me very sore. Enough that I laid off shooting for about a month. I have become increasingly interested in long range bolt guns and began shooting a client's PSS in .338 LM. Enamored of the cartridge I sold some items and bought an AI AW in .338lm.

I am left eye dominant so decided to switch to shooting left handed. I shot it a bit with no ill effects excepting the recoil was tiring, but then installed a Limbsaver pad. The rifle is a pleasure to shoot now.

I don't see a downside to the Limbsaver, whatever your level of training, proficiency, experience etc.

I have tried Decelerator brand pads as well on shotguns and the Limbsaver is hands down superior as far as making recoil less violently felt.

Lowlight-

I'll move it more into the pocket, and hold it a bit harder. For me, that is something I am overly concious of. I am a pretty strong guy and accidently overpower things quite a bit, so when the training said "think handshake strength," I took that to heart. I'll hold it tighter and try to find a soft area. It seems harder to butt the rifle into soft tissue when prone, but it is probably just a matter of experimenting around a bit.

-BM

As for the limbsaver, I don't think I'll be going that route. I will continue to try to rectify my form first, and will go that route as a last resort.

- Get a good form
- Load the bi-pod
- Add weight to the rifle
- Change the stock to a heavier balanced stock
- Utlisise the butt hook if you have one (pull hook into shoulder, push forward on stock with opposing hand, squeeze trigger)
- muzzle brake
- change the loads you are shooting

Proper form is the number one cure for your recoil issues. With the lessons you'll figure out what your doing wrong and be able to rectify your issues with no problems. As for non shooter related solutions there are muzzle breaks, suppresors, bipods, slings, heavier/more comfortable stock, heavier barrel, recoil pads... The list is huge. A good sling supported prone position will really help as well. Good luck with your shooting and I hope things improve for you.

So I think I figured out one of the things I was doing wrong:

When getting prone, my upper body is really really low. Think laying face down with just enough of my upper body up to get my face up. This position all but forces me to butt the rifle into a bone.

I experimented with my bipod set higher, with my upper body "tilted up" more, and was able to pull it into my shoulder pocket more.

Range time tomorrow to see if this helps.

Most 308s have too much recoil for 60+ rounds of shooting. There is a reason why it was abandoned by High Power competition shooters.

Are you loading the ammo? You could change to 110 grain bullets and a lower velocity - especially if you are shooting under 600 yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rsilvers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Most 308s have too much recoil for 60+ rounds of shooting. There is a reason why it was abandoned by High Power competition shooters.

Are you loading the ammo? You could change to 110 grain bullets and a lower velocity - especially if you are shooting under 600 yards.
</div></div>No, not yet. I'm stuck with factory loads for now. Mostly FGMM.

I was going to suggest to purchase a limbsaver(t) buttpad but after seeing a picture of the one you have it will not help because there is nothing wrong with the one on your rifle, from the photos that I have seen it looks to be about 1" thick...

So what does this tell me? You are not holding the rifle properly, when addressing the target PULL the stock into your shoulder, keep pressure on it...

At the range watch people shoot, when it comes time to check out the targets go down range with them, find a guy that is shooting well and ask him/her your questions. People that shoot are always helpful with tips for better shooting.

Once you get some experience then go take classes if you so desire and is recommended if you plan to do competition shooting. I suggest that when you do decide to take these lessons make sure there are no more then 5 people per instructor to be able to get more out of the class.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308saiga</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was going to suggest to purchase a limbsaver(t) buttpad but after seeing a picture of the one you have it will not help because there is nothing wrong with the one on your rifle, from the photos that I have seen it looks to be about 1" thick...

So what does this tell me? You are not holding the rifle properly, when addressing the target PULL the stock into your shoulder, keep pressure on it...

At the range watch people shoot, when it comes time to check out the targets go down range with them, find a guy that is shooting well and ask him/her your questions. People that shoot are always helpful with tips for better shooting.

Once you get some experience then go take classes if you so desire and is recommended if you plan to do competition shooting. I suggest that when you do decide to take these lessons make sure there are no more then 5 people per instructor to be able to get more out of the class.....

</div></div>Thank you for the advice, I am going to try holding it into my shoulder harder, and find an area of soft tissue to bed it in. I tend to overpower things, so when I read "not too hard" (on the subject of holding the butt into your shoulder,) I really took it to heart.

It turns out it was a matter of position.

I raised the bipod up a few inches, to get my upper body up just enough to be able to pull the stock into my shoulder/chest pocket and not my collar bone, and I put another 45 rounds through my gun, this time with no pain.

Thanks all!

-BM