• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Recomended PVD or DLC coating shops

bullseye13

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Mar 29, 2013
    USA
    Looking to have a pistol coated. Anyone have a shop they recommend?

Thanks

Club Customs is one that's commonly recommended, I personally haven't used them. Make sure to pick a good applicator, as DLC had a tendency to flake off if not applied properly.

I would also strongly consider Birdsong.

Reactions: bullseye13
    I hadn't heard of birdsong before. Any thoughts on which of these does best with abrasion from normal concealed carry?

Thanks.

I'm actually about to have Club Custom DLC an entire 1911 for me that has a bunch of custom work done by George Carell (since retired) and Nighthawk threaded barrel. Absolute tack driver, unbelievable trigger....just hate the phosphate coating....started out as a Springfield 1911....

I'll post some pics once it's done but DLC is all in the prep

• Love
    I hadn't heard of birdsong before. Any thoughts on which of these does best with abrasion from normal concealed carry?

Thanks.

I have birdsong on my TacOps rifle. The finish on my bolt has worn over thousands of dry fires and thousands of live fire. While the color of the finish has worn, the physical properties of the treatment are still there.

Sliding in and out of the holster would probably cause the finish to wear over time, so perhaps birdsong is not the best for EDC.