• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Recommeded ELR spotting scope

Timsar

Private
Minuteman
Jun 3, 2017
N. Commifornia
Newbie here
My shooting partner and I are thinking about pooling our resources and getting a nice spot. scope.
Min budget $1k, max $2k

Any recommendations from you experienced folks?

Reactions: ManOfAction
Far less experienced than many others here but I learned my lesson on spotting scopes ;)

I think your budget is good, don't go lower. I did by a bit and regretted it (vortex viper).

I hear the vortex razor HD scopes are good, not looked through one myself but many here seem to swear on it.

I went with the swarovski str80 25-50x now but thats priced a bit higher.

Read a lot here about meopta being good too.

Just one more note, clarity over max magnification. The higher the magnification, the more mirage.

For ELR, you will appreciate the reticle.

Reactions: E-Tool
For ELR, you will appreciate the reticle.

Yes, this is an excellent recommendation. A buddy of mine has one and these used to be the staple spotting scope at matches. Excellent overall package. And right in your budget.

i started with a budget scope and quickly regretted it. Went to a Meopta and was quite happy until I looked thru a Pentax PF80ED 20-60x80. Its resolution and color rendition are very good. it is a beast to carry.
Once set up my shooting buddies want to borrow it.
Use a suitable tripod. for optimum results.

Theres a variety of good equipment available these days, we have been satisfied with the performance and quality of the Vortex Razor spotting scopes. We like to use one with the Mil retical and one without when two spotters are allowed behind the shooter while at events pushing us out to 3500 yards.

oneshot.onehit
JH

Shop for a used Swaro 80mm or something in that realm. you'll really appreciate the clarity. I've noticed that the added clarity and resolution of my swaro helps a lot over a long day. I've used other cheaper scopes before and the eye strain they cause can give you a head ache. The high line scopes are just that, and they're worth it. You can find a swaro 20-60 ats or sts for right around 2k

I have a Swaro ATX but out of your price range (the ATS is not worth the $$) In that case the Razor HD and some of the other top bird scopes are a better buy. Neither have the reticle like the STR. Personally I find todays Tier 1 25x+ scopes really close to the 40x spotters as soon as the mirage is up and better than just about anything 2nd tier.. So, if you do NOT have a Tier one scope I'd start there.

Honestly, either way, I would look more into a ELR camera system than a spotter. You can do it for less and have way more info as well as instant replay with the correct system.

Last edited:
I have a Minox MD 60 ZR (12-40x60) with MR2-S reticle and it's very good optical instrument, one you cannot go wrong with.

1582183980057.png

1582183961394.png

Reactions: Steel head
I finally broke down and split a BTX with my old man. Best decision I have made. I just need a reticle eye piece now, but for overall spotting scope. You can't beat a Swarovski

I’ve got a mark 4 and I’ve been happy with it. It’s a nice compact package

Just switched from a Gen 1 Razor 20-60 to a MK4 20-60. I had the Gen 1 for almost 3 years and it has been a great spotting scope for me.

Had the opportunity to compare them side by side at 100 yard targets. I also looked out 1500+. My reason for the switch was that I really wanted a reticle at full zoom (60x) for 1000+.

The clarity difference up to 40x is not big. Above 40x, the MK4 has better resolution and is brighter. you could read the small words on the targets pretty easily where I couldn't read it on the Razor. If I were to give it a completely subjective score, I would give the MK4 a 7 and the Razor a 5 vs the Swaro I tried. (Can't remember the model but about $3500)

Leupold Mk4 advantages- Better resolution at high magnification. Big for me since I shoot mostly 500-2000. FFP Milling reticle. I loved the TMR reticle. Made it soooo much easier for me to give corrections. (I am in the process of switching from MOA to MIL) Paid $1950 new

Razor Gen 1 advantages - Price (you can get a used one easily for $800). Focus. The dual focus knobs are really nice for getting things crisp. You can get a milling reticle but it is fixed at 30x I believe. For the $, I really liked it. If it wasn't for only having a 30x fixed reticle it would have served me fine. Paid 1050 new 3+ years ago.

Again, subjective and only what my eye told me.

The clarity difference up to 40x is not big. Above 40x, the MK4 has better resolution and is brighter. you could read the small words on the targets pretty easily where I couldn't read it on the Razor. If I were to give it a completely subjective score, I would give the MK4 a 7 and the Razor a 5 vs the Swaro I tried. (Can't remember the model but about $3500)

I'm wanting to get the same Mk4, but I'm hoping/waiting for a sale. The Mk4 is really nice and clear, and I like the reticle.

I ended up cheaping out and getting a bushy legend T.
looking at targets today past 1900 and possible target spots at 2400ish and it did pretty decent.

Reactions: goneballistic
Far less experienced than many others here but I learned my lesson on spotting scopes ;)

I think your budget is good, don't go lower. I did by a bit and regretted it (vortex viper).

I hear the vortex razor HD scopes are good, not looked through one myself but many here seem to swear on it.
What about the Vortex Viper was not up to par? I was thinking of getting one.

What about the Vortex Viper was not up to par? I was thinking of getting one.
Hard to put a name to it... I always felt like the clarity isnt the best... havent used it much. Had it set up next to me but ended up just using the NF NXS 8-32 on the rifle to look at my targets. Felt like i see a lot more and clearer through that. Maybe go a step up within vortex instead but its all personal preference. If you get the chance look through a couple of different ones and decide what feels best for you within the price range.

i have a 12-40 MK4 and it is nice to have a compact spotter with reticle that can fit in the pocket of a range bag.

that said, if you need to see detail at 1000 yards or more, there is no substitute for 80mm+ sized scopes.
it is just physics, mang.
i have a sub $250 20-60x80mm spotting scope, and despite the price, it is still "fully coated" and has a BaK-4 prism etc...
while obviously it is nowhere close to the resolution score of a $1500 scope, it is significantly brighter with more detail than the smaller Mk4 at x40.
and of course on the bigger scope i can still go up to x60.

so jmo, if you really need to see detail at ELR type yardage, especially in low light conditions, get a full sized scope in your price range.

Last edited:
Sell one of your kidneys and go the Swarovski BTX route. Their new 115mm lens is due for release (if not already), so there will be a glut of 85mm & 95mm lens trade ins hitting the dealer’s shelves; well worth a look.
The BTX bino eyepiece is a must have item. No eye strain whatsoever, and the forehead rest really makes a difference. Ideal for high concentration situations. I noticed there were more Swarovski BTX 95mm outfits than any other make at 2019 Ko2M held at NRA Whittington Centre, Raton.
Personally I see little to no advantage in having a reticle, as most spotters I know call corrections in targets or fractions thereof as opposed to moa or mils.
But just as importantly, don’t go blowing all your hard earned cash on the scope, leaving nothing in the wallet for a good fluid head, Centre column and tripod. No point having a top quality scope on a cheap wobbly tripod.
In the UK, trade in values for the 95mm lens are around £850 GBP (check exchange rates), leaving you with the choice of eyepiece (BTX, STX or ATX) which second hand start at around £700 GBP upwards.
Good luck in your search.

I just bought a new Viper HD and got the 33 fixed power reticle. It is not as nice as the Gen 2 Razor or Swaro, but I got the scope and reticle for $880. I could not pass up the price. I have only used it out to 1033 yards, but it seems to work fine for me. I hope to take it to an ELR match this coming season, so we'll see how it performs. One other reason why I picked the Viper HD over the Gen 2 Razor, besides price, was the 33 power reticle vs. 22.5 with the Razor.

I was able to look through the Gen 2 Razor and Swaro at two ELR matches this past Summer, and they both looked basically the same to me. I am not all knowledgeable with regards to the finer points in high quality glass, but they both looked great for the 2213 yard target.