• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Recommend a Burbon

There is no shame in adding water if needed. At one time most of the distillers sold their own water from their source can search for "Weller Water" as an example. Will also find old distillery branded small water pitchers at flea markets and such.

This one is pretty tasty.........reasonably priced
IMG_2250.JPG

Thank you everyone. I'll look for some of the recommendations but I'm sure a lot won't be available in my AO. And some are going to be way over my budget. Some I've already tried. I liked the flavor of Angels Envy but it had a fair bite. Same with Bulleit, Buffalo Trace, & Makers Mark. Tasts great but a bite at the end. I really liked Four Roses but again don't like the bite at the end. Beam & Basil Hayden have the smooth finish I'm looking for but not the spice flavor.
I really wish I could get airplane bottles to try more but my AO bans online liquor sales. I have to buy local.
Try Templeton rye, it's the good stuff and very smooth.

Reactions: Lthrt
I really like Evan Williams single barrel for an everyday. Rowans Creek is another exceptional pour. Just tried New Riff Single Barrel and was very impressed. Probably my favorite at the moment is Old Forrester 1910. Its a double oak and hold up really well to a little ice. I preffer it to Woodfords double oaked.

Ok, so we don't know how big a bottle this is, for shits and grins, let's go with 750ml.
750ml = 25.6305 oz. At $137,000.00, this is just north of $5345.00 per oz.........What did they say about a fool and his money......makes a bottle of 12 year old Pappys look pretty good.

I really like Evan Williams single barrel for an everyday. Rowans Creek is another exceptional pour. Just tried New Riff Single Barrel and was very impressed. Probably my favorite at the moment is Old Forrester 1910. Its a double oak and hold up really well to a little ice. I preffer it to Woodfords double oaked.
How is the 1910 compared to the 1920?

How is the 1910 compared to the 1920?
I have not had the 1920 yet so i cannot say myself. A freind of mine has and has said it is good but slightly less caramel and toffee in the body. Sounds like a reason to buy another bottle 🤔😁.

Well I bought a bottle of Evan Williams (the regular stuff) yesterday & had a couple pours after dinner. Pretty smooth & kinda spicy. Close but not exactly what I'm looking for. I'd like more spice flavor.
So of the bottles recommended that I can afford what should I try next?
So far I've not tried:
Old Forester, Templeton, Woodbridge, others that are common.
So far of the ones I've tried I rank the top as follows:
Four Roses
Basil Hayden
Bulliet
Angels Envy
Evan Williams

Last edited:
If you like a little more spice i think you might enjoy the Rowans Creek or perhaps Noah's Mills. Thay both have a cinnamon finish the Noah's being the stronger of the two. I find the Evan Williams single Barrel to be very similar to Buffalo Trace. Its quite a bit different to the regular Evan. Have you tried any of the port or Cherry finished offerings yet? Noble Oak is one of my favorites and is usually around $32 for a 750ml so very reasonable. Hope you find one that checks all the boxes 😊.

Try the Elijah Craig small batch, doesn’t have the bite at the end like four roses to me, although I prefer the for roses.

I find long branch just to be too mellow / sweet, a lot of corn in that mash. A few friends very new to bourbon like that and angels envy but for me my least favorite of the WT bottles. Other than turkey 80 which is only good as a mild cleaner. Evan Williams single barrel is a great regular drinker. I still think the George Remus is a good value. The Remus reserve is very tasty. Four roses has a lot of different bottles and with that you get what you pay for lol

Reactions: ShaKr524
Any Bourbon will do, keeps Covid and „side effects“ in check 😂

Ok. Since I can't seem to find the earlier burbon thread I want you burbon snobs to recommend me a burbon to try given these parameters.
I like how smooth Basil Hayden is but I really like the flavor of Four Roses & Bulleit. I'm looking for something spicy but very smooth. Preferably under $60.
What say you?
Thanks.

( don't be an asshole...don't be an asshole)

Oh howdy!
Basil Hayden? Of course its smooth, its friggin 80 proof, watered shite.
Spicy you say? Well you aren't wanting "burbon", you are describing rye whisky at "spicy".

"Bourbon"
Pretty much anything Old Forrester
Elijah Craig
Eagle rare
Buffalo Trace is probably gonna be closest to "spicy"

It all depends on the mash bill, but spicy usually comes from rye.
Are you referring to the burn, when you say spicy?
If its burn you want then barrel proofs are where you want to look.

Larceny is a sleeper of a bourbon. For $20 it’s as good or better than a lot of other stuff that is way more expensive.

I like Clyde Mays and Oregon Spirit too.

if I’m at a normal grocery store and can’t get any of the small batch stuff, High West is decent.

Reactions: NoDopes
Scotch. Any scotch. failing that whiskey - irish, Japanese, Ugandan. Then there's beer or chamomile tea. Failing that go teetotal. Bourbon - urgh!

I've tried most of what's been mentioned in this thread. HOnestly I have tried to enjoy that stuff but it's so damned sweet and pointless. The appeal escapes me, but whatever you choose, enjoy it in good health and good company.

Just when I thought I totally struck out on allocates bottles this season, I stopped by a small place I frequent and was offered these when I picked up a bottle of Scotch. Paid about $20 over MSRP for each, but still much lower than what I know they go for on the secondary market.
b15fa4760a21173ff6c39684bae77fc2.jpg

Anybody tried this? Reviving this thread cause I couldn’t find the bourbon thread…

Attachments

• D99CCC76-199C-4ADE-B1A4-23F7E6B24D58.jpeg
    D99CCC76-199C-4ADE-B1A4-23F7E6B24D58.jpeg
    795.4 KB · Views: 35
Woodford Reserve double oaked is $60 and my favorite. It is better than other $60 bourbons I have tried. But as with all consumables, it will depend on your taste buds.

Three essentials, one photo.
20220705_135159.jpg

Last edited:
Just when I thought I totally struck out on allocates bottles this season, I stopped by a small place I frequent and was offered these when I picked up a bottle of Scotch. Paid about $20 over MSRP for each, but still much lower than what I know they go for on the secondary market.
View attachment 7674714
The last bottle of Pappy;s I had I sold for about $500. I got 3, drank 2, and figured Id let the 3rd go.

McKenzie out of NY is probably my favorite - they do a wheated as well. Garrison out of TX 2nd favorite, super unique, big corn nose with a sort of dry caramel.

For sippin Four Roses, mixin Jim Beam ($22.00 a handle) high end Elmer T Lee. A couple of good ones I've tried lately, 1792 and OZ Tyler. 90% of bourbon is made within 50 miles if my house, lots of choices.

Wild Turkey 101
Early Times bottled in bond
Eagle Rare

Here’s my collection. Good shit buried in the back to keep you from mixing it with coke

Attachments

• 2FEB6A2E-7743-42A0-816D-0CB53DE42C82.jpeg
    2FEB6A2E-7743-42A0-816D-0CB53DE42C82.jpeg
    595 KB · Views: 43
Reactions: BLEE
McKenzie out of NY is probably my favorite - they do a wheated as well. Garrison out of TX 2nd favorite, super unique, big corn nose with a sort of dry caramel.
Was wondering when someone was going to mention Garrison Bros. I know it isn't "Kentucky" bourbon like most bourbon snobs claim. It is a taste that grows on you. My father didn't care too much for it because it isn't "Kentucky" and its only aged 3-4 years because of Texas' climate so he claimed it wasn't as good. He only had a small glassful though. Whereas my buddies who didn't think it'd be good for the same reason really enjoy it. It could have been because we were up there bottling it and they give you a shot every hour and have John Daly (Arnold Palmer + bourbon) sitting out to drink all day while you work. Bonus that we were there on a day when they were barrel dumping to transfer it to another barrel to age another year and we were allowed to grab a cup and get it straight from the barrel.

Reactions: Chickentoast
If I was a Mod I'd ban all you fucking Yankees for even mentioning that nasty fucking rye shit. It ought to be illegal to call whisky Bourbon when you add that fucking nasty ingredient that ruins the fuck out of it. Wheat, yes, Barley, yes, Rye, fuck no. You can get a greater depth of flavor with wheat, and none of that nasty ass aftertaste that only scumbellies enjoy. "Spicy" at the expense of smoothness and flow is just stupid.

I don't mind you ruining Bourbon, just don't take it South of The Mason Dixon line and pollute our precious bodily fluids.

2011-01-22_1625.png

Never seen a 10 year, but the 12 and 15 are great. 21 is really special but so is the price.
My fault. 12 year is pretty good. 15 year is great.

Never had the 21. The only time I'll buy a bottle over $100 is if it's for my dad. I generally stay away from the bottles that are behind glass. Too much good stuff under $100 I haven't tried yet.

Wild Turkey Rare Breed is what I had last night. Technically, not a bourbon, Uncle Nearest is surprisingly good, considering the price and relationship to Jack Daniels. It's definitely better than most in its price range.

Last edited:
One of the best Bourbon i have had but have not heard it on here yet is Blade and Bow. It is made at the Stitzel- Weller plant in Louisville Kentucky. That is where Pappy Van Winkle was made. It is hard to find outside of Kentucky so i pick up a few bottles every time i go back to Kentucky . If i run out Old grand Dad or Makers Mark will do.

Reactions: Lthrt
View attachment 7674714
The Old Rip is tasty, great purchases there!

I don't remember seeing it mentioned...... Old Forester 1910 is a superb pour and usually runs sub $60. New Riff Single Barrel is also outstanding if you see some. On the even cheaper scale Noble Oak is a Sherry finished stellar value.

One of the best Bourbon i have had but have not heard it on here yet is Blade and Bow. It is made at the Stitzel- Weller plant in Louisville Kentucky. That is where Pappy Van Winkle was made. It is hard to find outside of Kentucky so i pick up a few bottles every time i go back to Kentucky . If i run out Old grand Dad or Makers Mark will do.
Just picked out Blade & Bow at random last weekend and I agree it's solid. Woodford is typically my "go to" with Mitchers (Green label - not sure what version) but I've found these three in the $40-60 range punch above their weight

Reactions: ShaKr524