• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Recommend a good concealed carry...

SilentStalkr

Wonna Be Badass
Minuteman
  • Oct 8, 2012
    Somewhere in the US
    I am in the market for a new concealed carry pistol as my Sig P220 just seems to be too big either that or I havent found the right holster yet. Anyways I love my Sig but am looking for something smaller. What ^^^do you guys recommend?

Re: Recommend a good concealed carry...

I've been through a bunch of ccw pistols. My current, and favorite so far, is a Kahr PM9.

Interesting! I was looking at the Ruger SR9c and the Kahr PM9 as possible choices. Is there a reason you guys ^^^do not like the SR9c or is it just because you havent used it that you or that you already had the PM9?

I run a .357 SIG P229 as often as not. Get a good IWB (and I mean substantially built) and an even better purpose-built gunbelt and you should be fine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SilentStalkr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Interesting! I was looking at the Ruger SR9c and the Kahr PM9 as possible choices. Is there a reason you guys ^^^do not like the SR9c or is it just because you havent used it that you or that you already had the PM9? </div></div>

The Ruger SR9c and Kahr PM9 are not comparable pistols. A much better comparison would be the PM9 vs. Ruger LC9...

If you are considering an SR9c and PM9, you need to ask yourself about your "philosphy of use".

How do you dress?

How do you intend to carry?

If you intend to carry in a waist holster, the larger and doublestack SR9c or one of the other dozen compact polymer glock-clones is a nice choice.

Personally, I like pocket carry. The Glock 26, Glock 19, SR9c, M&P 9c etc etc etc etc don't fit in a pocket.

I love the PM9 because it's been ultra reliable, has "big boy" sights, is nicely made, shoots GREAT, and has what I consider to be, bar none, the finest pocketgun trigger on the market. It is a light(ish) and extra smooth DA pull that breaks cleanly, and doesn't require the trigger to come back too far. It is striker fired, so no hammer to catch/snag on anything. The trigger positioning is good for my big man hands, but also seems to work well for little hands. There is ample room between the front of the trigger and the rear of the triggergaurd so your finger doesn't get pinched. The PF9 and LC9 don't have a big enough trigger opening for me and I sometimes miss the "reset", which sux.

The only "negative" I have found with the PM9 is a quirk regarding putting a cartridge into battery. The manual states you need to insert a magazine when the slide is locked back, and then use the slide stop to allow the slide to go into battery. I've found that if you use the "slingshot" method, the pistol will sometimes jam. If you insert a magazine with the slide forward and do the traditional "rack" method, it will also sometimes jam.

Also, after you chamber a round and then remove the magazine to top it off, it is crucial you slap the magazine against your hand to fully seat the cartridges against the back of the magazine, with the top round angled up, seated fully against the feedlips.

^^The above might sound like a problem, but I've really made it sound worse than it is. It is nothing more than a slight nuance, but nonetheless, one you should be aware of to ensure full reliability.

I have put at least 2k rounds through mine, and it has always worked perfect (save for the few FTF's I've had chambering first rounds before I followed the directions to just use the slidestop). The pistol is my EDC, and I keep it in a leather pocket holster. Once every few months when I think of it, I'll draw it at the range and do a mag dump, and it has never failed, though it does cough up a big cloud of pocket lint and leather dust.

Like I said, I've been through a bunch of carry pistols, and I've stuck with this one the longest by far, and have no inclination (currently) to replace it.

Been carrying a Glock 19 in a Pure Kustom Spec Ops Pro every day going on 4 years now. It conceals well and is very comfortable.

Jeremy45

I'd suggest the Ruger LCR in .357

Small enough to have always on you
    Packs enough punch for just about anything you meet up close and personal

You can do .38 special or .38 special +P if you want a light load or .357 if you want it full on.

The trigger is about the best (on the .357 model only) of all the similar pocket DAO revolvers.

The added plus is you can shoot from inside your coat pocket if needed.

Ive gone to the sig 938 and have been extremely pleased(3 months in). Commander size 1911 just a little big for summer clothes. I really like the full size sig-lite night sights. The extreme variant has the magazine with the extended finger rest which helps make it more functional for larger hands. Not real wild about 9mm but 147gr hydrashoks arent a bad choice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: W54/XM-388</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd suggest the Ruger LCR in .357

Small enough to have always on you
    Packs enough punch for just about anything you meet up close and personal

You can do .38 special or .38 special +P if you want a light load or .357 if you want it full on.

The trigger is about the best (on the .357 model only) of all the similar pocket DAO revolvers.

The added plus is you can shoot from inside your coat pocket if needed. </div></div>This is one gun I carry a lot. I like it. Ugly as hell but it's always concealed anyhow. I carry an officer framed 1911 in 45 when it's cooler out, like it is now.

EMP in the summer and 1911 in winter when clothing allows

S&W Shield in a crossbreed mini-tuck...love it! VERY slim and lightwieght. I wear t-shirts most of the time and double stack guns tend to print more easily. If you still want a 45 I used to carry a G36 and it was a good gun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been through a bunch of ccw pistols. My current, and favorite so far, is a Kahr PM9. </div></div>

Ditto, been through a bunch but PM9 is my fav, along with my HK P7. Trying to find the right holster for the latter. You might consider a P220 compact, especially an SAS version.

Here are some I went through but discounted for listed reasons;

P238; great gun but 380, and I am not a fan of SA only 1911 style guns.

P239; shoots great but limited ammo capacity combined with a thick gun. Better options at the size and weight.

P11; good option,light, small, and you can put 13 rounds in it. Trigger is too long and heavy with a corresponding extremely long reset. But great value at this price point.

Bodyguard and LCP Auto; trigger too long and heavy and 380.

PPS; excellent slim gun. Wish they would put the P99 AS trigger in it. But probably first choice after P7 and PM9.

I use to carry a sig p229 which is a great gun but by the end of the day it was really noticeable. Now I carry a snubby j frame in an archangel appendix holster and its a noticeable difference. It conceals over a light t shirt and I never print. Just have to get use to 5 rounds, but I might upgrade to a .327 magnum and ill be able to carry 6 rounds instead.