• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Recommend a nice gun safe?

sable

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 3, 2010
Texas
I used the search feature and didnt turn up a WHOLE lot of reading, I just need a quick recommendation on a good gun safe.

I want it to hold 24-30 guns, and have shelves on one side, or at least configurable to have shelves on one side. Fireproof and tough please.

My price range is about 1200 TOPS.
frown.gif

Re: Recommend a nice gun safe?

You should go and look at them in person and then shop around for the best deal. Gun safes are sized way off. I bought a 22 gun safe from Sentry and it will only hold 15. When you add scopes rifles the floor space gets eaten up quick. $1200 won't go far in the good 24 to 30 gun size.

I see you are in Texas. Lone Star Safes on FM1960 in north Houston. Ask for Steve he will treat you right on price delivery etc. His moving price is fair too if you change houses. He delivers all over sells several brands including the Champion stuff.

Oh yeah buy the biggest you can. Trust me they do NOT make one too big.

AmSec BF series cant be beat for the money. As good or better than some of the high end safes offered by others, including Fort Knox.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Socalsheepdog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I too am very happy with my Amsec BF 7250. Wife not so much but she will get over it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aqGjDhd7Pc

I didn't buy it from the guy in the video but the video does show the layout nice. </div></div>

You stole her jewelry space, didn't you?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Veer G</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Socalsheepdog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I too am very happy with my Amsec BF 7250. Wife not so much but she will get over it.

I didn't buy it from the guy in the video but the video does show the layout nice. </div></div>

You stole her jewelry space, didn't you? </div></div>

Haha, what jewelry, she has two fat rings and that's pretty much it. With gold at 1300 an oz, I told her to get rid of anything she isn't wearing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: banks74</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For the money Liberty Centurions are not bad. </div></div>

I saw one of them at Gander Mountain a few days ago, the steel and locking rods were much thinner than the GM store brand safes. Also they only lock on one side of the door, so i wrote them off. Guess ill have to give them a second look. Beggars cant be choosers though, and with 1200 to throw around, im a beggar in the safe world.

Check out Dakotasafe.com
When I get some free time I will write up a quick review. I am very pleased.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rtgfi</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: banks74</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For the money Liberty Centurions are not bad. </div></div>

I saw one of them at Gander Mountain a few days ago, the steel and locking rods were much thinner than the GM store brand safes. Also they only lock on one side of the door, so i wrote them off. Guess ill have to give them a second look. Beggars cant be choosers though, and with 1200 to throw around, im a beggar in the safe world. </div></div>

You get what you pay for. Save some more money and get a AmSec.

Texas is quite a large place...but I'd still suggest looking at safes on your own, since nobody will know your needs better than you. Gander Mountain carries the Liberty line, and there are a couple that they carry that should come in under your budget. Sams carries a 24 gun safe under the Liberty name that's a no frills job for under $700; check the website for your location.

I went with the Liberty, and have been very satisfied with both the qualit and craftsmanship. Safes are to gun folks what tool boxes are to mechanics -- the very same on you get thinking "I'll never fill this up" is the same one you're looking to trade out of in a couple of years. I believe your budget would put you right at a breaking point between safe sizes, so if I was you I'd look seriously at putting another bit of money on top of what you've got to upgrade to the bigger size. It'll be worth it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Socalsheepdog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I too am very happy with my Amsec BF 7250. Wife not so much but she will get over it.

Thats the same safe I have. I didn't get the drawers, but I got it with a gloss black door. Looks great, big fucker tho....

After reading alot of reviews and looking (with big wishful eyes) at some of the links you guys posted, its obvious im going to need to save and pony up some extra cash for a nice huge safe.

i fully plan on my collection growing quite a bit
grin.gif

plus ive got alot of supplies, electronics, and documents i need to have protected from fire and burglary.

If you are storing work related items in your safe, I am pretty sure you can write it off.

One thing to remember is that gun safes NEVER hold as many weapons as the manufacturer claim. Maybe naked rifles. But as soon as you put on scopes, bipods, slings, etc you cut the capacity to 50% of what they are advertised. Also buy the biggest you can, you are gonna fill it up and want something larger if you don't. Maybe even if you do!