• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Recommend ammunition for AI AXMC .308

WeleaseWoderwick

Private
Minuteman
May 8, 2021
London, U.K.
Dear all,

I’m looking for your collective recommendations for U.K. available factory ammunition for an AI AXMC in .308, spec as follows:
- 1000 yrds
- 1200 yrds
- 26” / 1:12 barrel

Thank you in advance.

sort of hard to say without knowing what you can get there.
from my 1:12 .308, the most predictably good results are anything using a 168gr or 175gr SMK (sierra match king) bullet.
the 1:12 may not be enough spin to stabilize a heavier juggernaught that folks might use to extend the range, but really you might have to actually try a bunch to find out for sure what works best out of your particular rifle and barrel.

Reactions: WeleaseWoderwick
The Lapua 155gr (10g) Scenar / Scenar-L will get you to 1000 just fine with your setup.
I've used it a lot with an AW series which has a very similar barrel and it has no problems reliably impacting the targets at 1000 yards.

I'd also try the Lapua 175 (11.3g) Scenar-L and see how your barrel likes that.

many shooters rely on this to narrow down choices to test a bit, but results mean more than calculators.

308's don't shoot past 800 yards you have been misinformed
Thank you for your input, although I’m afraid I have to respectfully disagree - I have personally achieved 9/10 V-Bulls at 1000yrds with a Savage and GGG. It is very standard to shoot 1000yrds with .308 in the U.K., unsure of what happens in US.

The Lapua 155gr (10g) Scenar / Scenar-L will get you to 1000 just fine with your setup.
I've used it a lot with an AW series which has a very similar barrel and it has no problems reliably impacting the targets at 1000 yards.

I'd also try the Lapua 175 (11.3g) Scenar-L and see how your barrel likes that.
Much appreciated - thanks.

sort of hard to say without knowing what you can get there.
from my 1:12 .308, the most predictably good results are anything using a 168gr or 175gr SMK (sierra match king) bullet.
the 1:12 may not be enough spin to stabilize a heavier juggernaught that folks might use to extend the range, but really you might have to actually try a bunch to find out for sure what works best out of your particular rifle and barrel.
Many thanks.

Thank you for your input, although I’m afraid I have to respectfully disagree - I have personally achieved 9/10 V-Bulls at 1000yrds with a Savage and GGG. It is very standard to shoot 1000yrds with .308 in the U.K., unsure of what happens in US.
@Huskydriver was engaging in a bit of self-deprecating satire - or as we say here - busting your balls. Lost in translation. Plenty of love for the 308 in the US.

That is an old joke, I think stemming from the dismal performance of the Sierra MatchKing 168 as it went through the transonic zone around 800 yards.

Nope, at 800 yards the bullet takes a hard left. Or is it a hard right in the northern hemisphere...i cant keep these things straight.

Nobody is going to be able to recommend the perfect ammo. Quality gun with a quality barrel. Put some good ammo through it and it will shoot.

As others pointed out, you may want to try some high quality 175 grs loaded factory offerings by the usual brands, like Lapua, RWS, Federal, Sako or even Fiocchi. Not sure what you have over there though.

Good luck and report back if you wish!

many shooters rely on this to narrow down choices to test a bit, but results mean more than calculators.

Not to get too far out of the lane here but the twist rate calculator is bad ass!

It is now bookmarked!