• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Recommend an AR For Me

fx77

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Nov 29, 2005
    ny state
    Need advice from the experts on an Quality AR..Have spent a couple of hours on line with various manufacturers websites, and there is too much from which to choose, and I am not all that familiar with all the subcomponents ( like tubes, gas blocks etc)..Majority of shooting is Bolt…

I want an AR 556 chamber pre-built or name of a quality Builder (do not want to do this myself), and do not want to wait 6 months for the product.

I will shoot targets out to 300 yds..Sit, Kneel, Stand

Want the gun to be light weight all metal, but no magnesium or carbon fiber lower

Want Chrome lined light (not heavy or varmint) 7 twist barrel 18”

Plan to shoot 77-80 gr bullets

After market Trigger for target (Geissle or equivalent)

Will scope it with S and B Ultra Short 5-20 (if I can get one)

If any one knows the inventory available in pre builds to fit these parameters…post its link for quick reference.

Price is a function of quality and availability.

Will use a simple nylon type sling

Sad to say in NY state, I have to register it as an Assault Weapon…
    Feel free to PM me here

Thanks

I might also recommend Bravo Company Machine. They will happily make what you wish and few can complain about their quality.

I wouldn't be worried about shooting 77-80g bullets for 300y. You might find a 40-55g projectile works better for short ranges.

Honestly, there are probably a half dozen mfgs. that would meet your requirements, particularly if you're willing to be a little flexible on barrel twist. If I were you I would put the lower together myself. If I can do it, anyone can. Find a cheap receiver (Spikes, Aeroprecision, etc.), a stock you like, a good two stage trigger (Geissele, LaRue MBT, even a Rock River would work). Then buy the upper.

Since you are doing positional shooting at targets out to 300 yards, I assume accuracy is of paramount importance. I have a LaRue upper that I like a lot and has been very accurate and reliable. I think they are still running an ultimate upper deal that is VERY attractive. I also own a Rock River upper that is an absolute hammer - but it is a moderately heavy stainless barrel, so that might not work for you. Compass Lake and White Oak Armament could also put together top notch uppers for you. JP Enterprises has a pretty good reputation for accurate rifles. Hell, I even have a PWS upper that's close to MOA that would work for your purposes, but that's a long stroke piston gun, so not really what you are looking for.