• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater Recommend books

A most excellent book which is fiction... or is it?

By one of our own...

Sirhr

For a history of the real thing: "The Quiet Americans" by Scott Anderson for the early history of the OSS and CIA. Interesting factoid: Truman abolished the OSS after the war because he did not like Donavan whose lifestyle irritated Truman.
Another factoid: the bureaucracy 'war' between the FBI and CIA started way back when the CIA was established whose function was gathering intelligence in foreign countries, a capability that Hoover wanted.

Last edited:
Reactions: jpickens
1.) if you are infuriated by what the left has been underway with since 1960:

"The Coming Civil War", Tom Kawczynski

"Resistance to Tyranny", Joseph Martino

2.) if you think retroactively as to the roadmap of what could have been:

"Conservative Insurgency", Kurt Schlichter

For a history of the real thing: "The Quiet Americans" by Scott Anderson for the early history of the OSS and CIA. Interesting factoid: Truman abolished the OSS after the war because he did not like Donavan whose lifestyle irritated Truman.
Another factoid: the bureaucracy 'war' between the FBI and CIA started way back when the CIA was established whose function was gathering intelligence in foreign countries, a capability that Hoover wanted.

Look up Special Forces Berlin — unit history.

Same author. It’s the real thing as well. He spent almost 15 years in that unit.
His new book on the OSS comes out in Jan.

Sirhr

The trance-formation of America: cathy obrien.
If you can stomach this one... def a hard to read book due to content.

Of course the obligatory(if you havent already):
Fahrenheit 451
Brave new world
Shred

Reactions: gro and jpickens
854D22EA-1C1F-48DC-9601-B4FE38D64940.jpeg

Half the stuff in these books has either happened or is about to it seems

View attachment 7498791

Half the stuff in these books has either happened or is about to it seems

these three were the first of my current reading list, read them in the summer, great stuff regarding a rogue president and rogue members of the ATF... all could plausibly happen ...

If you want something that is more to actual likely events built around current 2020 election issues read the Kurt Schlichter series, but start with the last book released, "Crisis"... then go to the next four, "People's Republic", "Indian Country", "Collapse" and finally "Wildfire"...

I promise you, if you liked Bracken's books, you will love these... guaranteed..

How is it? Read a review that said he was almost too superhuman and for being "grey man" the bad guys always knew where he was.

I read jack carrs first 3 james Reece novels and the first 3 jack reachers.

I'm on book two of the Gray Man and this is probably it for me. A pattern is starting to develop, superhuman is a good description.

I'm on book two of the Gray Man and this is probably it for me. A pattern is starting to develop, superhuman is a good description.

I really enjoyed jack carrs books. Very inspired by most dangerous game. Very gear centered. Using real gear like half faced blades and sig or glock pistols. I can't wait for #4 in April.

Reactions: pilotjoe
Exact scenario that happened to the Czar is happening now. Good guys won't mount an offensive until it's too late, same as the Russians.
55807906._UY400_SS400_.jpg

For understanding political power and the current US Congress, check out The Machiavellians: Defenders of Freedom by James Burnham.

And for good fun and insights, check out The New Right by Michael Malice.

I leaned about both of these while watching Michael Malice during his first appearance on Lex Fridman's podcast.

Enjoy...

Ted

Anything written by Ayn Rand beginning with "Atlas Shrugged" and "The Fountainhead".

Look at where we're at today and Ayn looks more like a prophet than a writer.

Mentioned once early on in this thread, more than worth saying again.
have to put "The Fountainhead" in the cart. Have never read it. Thank you!

These were some good reads:

"Boyd", by Coram
"Crow Killer", by Thorp and Bunker
"Shattered Sword", by Parshall and Tully (compare this to past books on Midway, i.e., Prange's "Miracle at Midway", and Lord's "Incredible Victory")

Have a great day, folks.

Just finishing the last book in the three part series "The Pacific War Trilogy" by Ian W. Toll. This is an excellent series and worth the read albeit long. Been a reader of military history since I first read The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich in 4th grade (very long time ago).

Reactions: ClintQuint
Just finishing the last book in the three part series "The Pacific War Trilogy" by Ian W. Toll. This is an excellent series and worth the read albeit long. Been a reader of military history since I first read The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich in 4th grade (very long time ago).
Holy cow - you read "Rise and Fall..." in the 4th grade! Dang. I just read it last year. Great book.

I have Toll's "Six Frigates" in my cart and will take a look at that set you mentioned. Many thanks!

I have started to re-read Tragedy and Hope - A history of the World in Our Time by Carroll Quigley. I figured that history may not repeat itself but often rhymes, may as well get the blueprint for the coming years.

Interesting account from a 18 year old kid on the eastern front who was shooting an MG42, they had a terrifying rate of fire and they would change the barrel after 400 rounds and could do it in about 15 seconds

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    369.3 KB · Views: 114
Reactions: wth
Interesting account from a 18 year old kid on the eastern front who was shooting an MG42, they had a terrifying rate of fire and they would change the barrel after 400 rounds and could do it in about 15 seconds
I have enjoyed All these also

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    463.3 KB · Views: 111
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    430.9 KB · Views: 112
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    425.4 KB · Views: 111
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    396.3 KB · Views: 112
Lots of good books listed already. I'm more of a historical reader, but two novels I would recommend is:

Dune by Frank Herbert

If This Be Glory by Hasso Stachow

I don't think Dune needs an introduction considering its legendary status in the pantheon of sci-fi literature (though you could argue it's more religious/philosophy/political than sci-fi).

The real standout to me is the latter, though maybe difficult to source. It's basically a novelized version of the author's real life. The TL;DR plot to this book: boy/young man comes of age under the Nazis, is indoctrinated into the greatness of the Nazi regime/cause, joins the military, is sent to war, sours on the corruption/propaganda of the Nazi state, becomes disillusioned and ends up being "punished" by being re-assigned to the Eastern Front in a SigInt Battalion, which is basically a death sentence. (I remember it being SigInt/Comms, but maybe Engineers, been a long time since I last read it)

For any combat Vets, you'll immediately recognize some of the macabre comedy in the story. Of course, the real gem is the maturing of the main character into realizing the bill of goods his country has been sold, the horrible things they have done its behalf, and the terrible price being reaped by those who supported a regime based on lies, corruption, propaganda, etc.

Looking for audio book of unintended consequences. I found a guy that did up to chapter 80 or so but can’t find the rest either free or paid version. I don’t have the time to read but I spend a lot of time staring at the windshield.

Chris Wallace, Countdown 1945.
recounts the events from FDR’s death to the dropping of the atomic bombs and all decisions pertaining to that.

If they haven’t already been suggested, Pillars of the Earth, by Ken Follett

Boys in the Boat, 1936 Olympic Rowing Team, by Daniel James Brown

Biography of Stonewall Jackson. Very interesting fellow. Good read, by S.C. Gwynne

Attachments

• IMG_20210205_162819360.jpg
    IMG_20210205_162819360.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 95
Reactions: Uhlan
For you sci fi fans, check out Knight Errant by Barrett and Murphy. Some incredible imagination at work there. I’m not big into sci fi, so I wasn’t sure what I would think about it, but I really really enjoyed it. No politics, nothing serious, just an enjoyable book to read. I bet most of you would enjoy it.

Alone at Dawn: Medal of Honor Recipient John Chapman and the Untold Story of the World's Deadliest Special Operations Force​

by Dan Schilling

This book is pretty straight forward and highlights some of the issues with Tier One operators (and how their lack of communication is catastrophic).

So many come to mind......

Here's afew to consider:

Two Years Before The Mast by Richard Henry Dana

Blood Red Snow by Günter K. Koschorrek. “The Memoirs of a German Soldier
on the Eastern Front”

With The Old Breed by E.B. Sledge

Crow Killer by Raymond W. Thorp Jr.

Monster Hunter International by Larry Correia

Storm of Steel by Ernst Jünger

Shut Up And Deal by Jesse May

Enemies Foreign And Domestic by Matthew Bracken

Johhny Got His Gun by Dalton Trumbo

A Texas Cowboy by Charles Siringo

The Federalist Papers by Alexander Hamilton & James Madi

The Old Man And The Sea by Ernest Hemingway

Josey Wales by Forest Carter

Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson

Lights Out by David Crawford

Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy

One Second After by William R. Forstchen

Going Home by A. American

Death In The Long Grass by Peter Hathaway Capstick

All Quiet On The Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque

To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee

I just read Colonel David H. Hackworths book, Steel my soldiers´hearts.

I read his book About Face a few years ago and I like them both. He had a very honest and captive way of writing. I highly recommend these books.
I gave my dad Hackworths book. My dad had three combat tours in Vietnam and his tours overlaps Hackworths. My dad extensively annotated my copy of the book with his recollections.

Hackworth badmouthed the Army in Gulf War I, but once he got over there he completely retracted what he said and praised the soldiers and mid level officers to every one he met. That took character.

Reactions: Uhlan
I have 6 Jack Reacher paperback books here, the first 6 in the series.
I will send them USPS to anyone that wants to pay the shipping within CONUS or Alaska.

All of these right here: