Movie Theater  Recommend books

steve podleski

Private
PX Member
Minuteman
Nov 26, 2005
Look up Special Forces Berlin — unit history.

Same author. It’s the real thing as well. He spent almost 15 years in that unit.
His new book on the OSS comes out in Jan.

Sirhr
Downloaded the book from my local library. The author is James Stejskal but the reader is Campbell (audio book).

Now I can listen to something informative while reloading instead of listening to propaganda on TV and radio (except on weekdays when conservative talk shows rule the waves).

Reactions: sirhrmechanic

sirhrmechanic

Command Sgt. Major
PX Member
Minuteman
Downloaded the book from my local library. The author is James Stejskal but the reader is Campbell (audio book).

Now I can listen to something informative while reloading instead of listening to propaganda on TV and radio (except on weekdays when conservative talk shows rule the waves).

If you want a break from the book... This is a good listen.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Last edited:

skl1

"There's got to be a harder way..."
PX Member
Minuteman
  • Oct 13, 2020
    MD
    Have to re-recommend several from the list to date:

1) A Gentleman in Moscow
    2) Crow Killer
    3) Pillars of the Earth

also, beside SC Gwynne's Stonewall Jackson biography, really recommend his book on the history of the Comanche 'Empire of the Summer Moon'. It talked about how the Comanche stopped the Spanish from moving north out of Mexico and the Americans from moving west into Texas until after the Civil War. Lots of interesting details, focused in the end on the life of Quanah Parker (basis of the John Wayne movie 'The Searchers').

skl1

"There's got to be a harder way..."
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Oct 13, 2020
    MD
    Forgot to add the book version of 'True Grit' that the movies are based on.

For Westerns and 80's crime: anything by Elmore Leonard was great. He wrote the books that a number of feature westerns from the 60's, like 'Hombre' with Paul Newman, were based on as well as quirky modern crime movies like 'Get Shorty' and 'Be Cool'.

Robert Parker's Spenser novels were great.

John D. MacDonald's Travis McGee novels are great.

greentick

Private
    Minuteman
    Feb 20, 2021
    Deep South
    Some more SF history...all great reads.

20210311_232759.jpg
    Left and right are evident. The middle is OSS Det 101.

OSS on left and non-revisionist 1812.
    20210311_232831.jpg
    Virginia Hall's history is a great book. Very meticulous field operator, some good trade craft lessons. Ended up marrying a Jed.

I started both the Det 101 and 1812 books as Audiobooks but liked them so much I had to add hard copies.

Last edited:

Sean the Nailer

Sergeant
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • May 20, 2006
    Winnipeg, Mb.
    "A Spy Among Friends"

This is about 'Kim Philby' and how he started off, then led the British Intelligence during WWII. All the while being a spy for Russia.

steve podleski

Private
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Nov 26, 2005
    "A Spy Among Friends"

This is about 'Kim Philby' and how he started off, then led the British Intelligence during WWII. All the while being a spy for Russia.
    he was also the liaison between MI5 and the CIA. He indirectly responsible for the death of dozens of expats who worked for the CIA and MI5 who were infiltrated into their home countries then under the control of USSR.

• Angry
    Reactions: Sean the Nailer

Sean the Nailer

Sergeant
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • May 20, 2006
    Winnipeg, Mb.
    he was also the liaison between MI5 and the CIA. He indirectly responsible for the death of dozens of expats who worked for the CIA and MI5 who were infiltrated into their home countries then under the control of USSR.
    I'm only beginning this book, thought the story itself isn't new to me. I've had it for some time, and have held off on reading it.

It's more of a "know thine enemy" type of thing. There ain't NOTHING about it I gots t' like. Nor admire. I'm sure you agree.

But that can't stop me from "knowing more..... and begin smarter". The question is, can I ever be smart enough?

steve podleski

Private
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Nov 26, 2005
    I'm only beginning this book, thought the story itself isn't new to me. I've had it for some time, and have held off on reading it.

It's more of a "know thine enemy" type of thing. There ain't NOTHING about it I gots t' like. Nor admire. I'm sure you agree.

But that can't stop me from "knowing more..... and begin smarter". The question is, can I ever be smart enough?
    Totally agree. Know your enemy. He is mentioned in the "Quiet Americans" which is history of the OSS and CIA during the 50' and early 60's. Great book. It mentions that Philby was a close friend of one of the top people in the CIA. The Brits could not believe that a upper class Cambridge boy could be a spy despite warnings from the US. Typical Brit hubris.

Reactions: Sean the Nailer

MK20

Major Member
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Apr 17, 2018
    The land of many waters
    A Matter of Honour - Pearl Harbour: Betrayal, Blame and a Family's Quest for Justice by Anthony Summers & Robin Swan
    - well written book and an easy summer's read which illuminates the background and likely conspiracy to deflect blame from leaders in Washington
    - well received by recent military historians and amateur military historians.

American Revolutions - A Continental History, 1750 - 1894 by Alan Taylor, W. W. Norton and Company
    - a detailed and sometimes gruelling read but is packed with an enormous amount of facts-based information and references;
    - greatly alters the "Hollywood" version of the American "Patriots" which presents an idealistic revolution - which in reality is incorrect;
    - the self-serving demands of one-third of the population to expand slavery, break Indian Treaties and land speculation are exposed; and
    - the author is a twice awarded Pulitzer Prize winner and the book is extensively referenced to support a more correct historical record.

The fact that that book deals with the American revolution and has been awarded a Pulitzer should be a red flag. It is extensively footnoted, sure, but how many of those references are primary sources.
    It also shows that the author has either never read the draft of the Declaration of Independence, or is lying.

Reactions: pilotjoe

ArchAngel72

Private
    Minuteman
    Mar 18, 2021
    New Hampster
    Well 1st post here.. Hope I don't fubar it all up.

So Clancy stuff yep pretty much all of it is decent

Stephen Hunter stuff I actually like Earl Swaggers time line stuff much better than Bob Lee's

Andrew Peterson has a pretty neat fiction series "_____ to kill" as in Right to Kill, Contract to Kill, Time to Kill, etc. I would say its 75% BS but its a fun series to read.

Extreme Ownership
    Iron John
    Sovereignty
    Wild at Heart
    Murphy's Law
    BushCraft 101
    Norse Mythology
    100 Deadly Skills
    100 Deadly Skills: Survival Edition

Oh I say read. I do 95% of my reading listening on audio book. I do read some but 100% of what I do is thru Kindle.

The last physical book I actually read was American Sniper

Some other stuff

Ready Player One Book is so much better than the movie
    The Hobbit Series
    The Lord of the Ring Series
    Bo's cafe ( decent shorter read )
    The Call of the Wild

Also Stuff by
    Robin Hobb (fantasy like Hobbit stuff)
    David Dalglish (fantasy same)

Currently the latest thing I been listening to is actually
    The Bible

Never sat and actually read the whole thing cover to cover, So I am "pushing" thru it.

Reactions: pilotjoe

502Chevelle

Sergeant
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Jul 1, 2014
    Charlotte NC
    Just finished the first three books in Jack Carr’s series that starts with The Terminal List. The were pretty good. A little dark sometimes, but good. Heads up, read them in order! Sometimes you can jump in on part 2 or 3, and be up to speed, but these are almost written as one book, and if you don’t start at the beginning, some things won’t make sense.

Boooo

Private
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Jul 15, 2011
    N. Alabama
    Just finished "The Phantom of Phu Bai" by Joseph B. Turner. Probably will read it many more times. Remarkable exploits of Warriors who sure have been there.

Isight

Private
    Minuteman
    Apr 10, 2021
    Billings
    I read a good one recently called Ballad of the Whiskey Robber. Based on a true story about a guy that was a bad hockey player and kept robbing banks while he was a player. He'd have a bit of whiskey before each one and be really courteous to the workers at the bank, give the women a rose, etc. Should have been caught several times but kept eluding the police. Pretty funny and interesting.