• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Recommend me a competition pistol

lennyo3034

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 18, 2010
USA
Looking for a new pistol for multigun matches. I'm looking for something ready to go out the box, optics ready, and something I can easily find a holster/mags for. Not looking to get into 1911s and looking at a budget around 1200.

So far on my list of guns to try out are:

CZ P10F
CZ SP-01
Canik TP9SFX
Walther PPQ Q5 match
Glock 34

Anything else I'm missing? I'm fairly new to the handgun world.

The CZ Shadow 2 falls right in line at your top end and is quite popular among the production division. CZ is now importing an optics ready model now as well, which is allowed for USPSA carry optics division.

I’m still waiting to get mine cut for an RMR and will be using it in open division due to the light. Factory single action is at 2.5 pounds with a very smooth DA pull. Did add the Lok ”boogie” grips to it as the factory aluminum grips are a tad slick in wet weather.

9961B8C4-8B30-490A-89A3-49D07976EC28.jpeg

Don’t know if you are just looking for striker fired handguns, but I’m particularly fond of my hammers.

glock wins in terms of variety and availability of parts and accessories (holsters, mags, mag extensions, etc). and prob in the reliability dept also (at worst a tie) which is critical. i'd go with the g17 not the 34 as you won't need the longer sight radius with an optic on top. i like (need) a really low dot as i go back and forth between optics and iron sights, so i had my slides milled vs the plate system. the canik is actually a pretty nice gun esp at that price point but need to change the trigger to get rid of the outrageous takeup. fits in glock holsters. personally i don't like the da/sa guns, just weird with the different trigger pulls. the nicest plastic gun trigger i've felt is the sig x5 legion with the gray guns trigger kit, amazing.

hit a uspsa or 3 gun match and just ask everyone if you can finger and/or shoot their guns, that's the best way to figure out what will work best for you.

I have the Canik TP9SFx and highly recommend it. It is an all around great platform to get started. There are aftermarket parts available to spiffy it up if that's your thing.
The trigger is very good out of the box. Freedomsmith offers triggers for it that make it great. Galloway Precision offers springs and a cheaper trigger for it. I paired a Freedomsmith "Pro" model trigger with the Galloway trigger return spring and safety plunger spring to get the trigger to a crisp 3 pounds.

Check out CanikFanatikdotcom for all the info you need concerning Canik pistols.

20200518_081737.jpg

Last edited:
I will say a Glock trigger can only get so good, I shoot g34 for 3gun and uspsa and am looking at the ria 2011 and others to upgrade ...

Out of these the Walther always shot best for me and has one of the best triggers out there. Throw some extra cash and get the SF and then report back !

If you want to go CO, either the Shadow or the Sig 320/X5. I personally prefer the X5 with a More RTS2

A CZ Shadow 2 optics ready would be tough to beat in terms of accuracy and all around quality. That said, there are less expensive options that spend a lot of time in the winner's circle. SIG comes to mind.

Trust me, I have has CZ shadows, Tanfoglios and pretty much every other pistol out there. I really comes down to user preference. I prefer medium weight gun and I am able to achieve that with the Zev. If you like heavier guns go with the all steel guns.

Tried out a few CZs yesterday:

CZ P10F: I liked it more than my XDm 4.5 but was not different enough to justify buying
CZ SP-01: Shot great for me, ergos not ideal. Couldn't reach slide release and struggled with mag release (short thumbs)
CZ Shadow: Same as P01. Extended mag release helped

The two CZ75 models shot well for me, but I wasn't too thrilled with the ergos. I will continue to shoot others and these are not crossed off the list.

I'm sure someone will recommend just competing with the XDm I already have. My answer to that is: that doesn't satisfy the urge to buy a new gun.

I just bought one of these for USPSA production

I just add a RMR to shoot Carry optics
i just bought the zev oz9 'frame' and grip module. already have an aftermarket slide milled for a vortex viper. little heavier than the real glock, better grip/stippling, and better grip angle. the gun worked fine at its first uspsa match last weekend but unfortunately the red dot did not...

Reactions: Adam B
I run a Glock 34 in 3 gun comps. The reason I went that way is the ease of working on the pistol myself. I watched YouTube clips and in 10 min I had the gun completely apart all the way broken down. I think that’s worth a lot when shooting comps being able to wrench on a firearm quickly. That being said I never had the 34 fail. Glock also has tons of great aftermarket drop ins.

Reactions: kenp219 and Adam B
you can do it ... pick one you like and run forest run , stop shoot then run forest run .

I shot a Glock 34 in production for years with no issues either. I switched to CZ and Tanfoglios and had trigger return springs break on both on them in matches. I have since switched back.

The CZ S2 slide release is also easily dropped al a 1911 support hand thumb. Both are plenty fast, but I get it as I prefer dropping it with my shooting thumb as well.

Since you said multi-gun matches. Look at the rules. I pull my G34 out for 2 gun matches, because the little thingy on the trigger counts as safe when I have to dump the gun in a bucket. For USPSA (CO and production)/steel/pistol only matches, I shoot CZ and would recommend that all day. However, I would have to put the CZ on safe manually or clear prior to dumping, so it is one more thing to think about or takes up time.

They have stages where you throw the pistol into the bucket?

It's always been holster or the last gun used (via stage design) for the 2/3gun stuff I've shot.

CZ P10F: I liked it more than my XDm 4.5 but was not different enough to justify buying
CZ SP-01: Shot great for me, ergos not ideal. Couldn't reach slide release and struggled with mag release (short thumbs)

The two CZ75 models shot well for me, but I wasn't too thrilled with the ergos. I will continue to shoot others and these are not crossed off the list.

I'm sure someone will recommend just competing with the XDm I already have. My answer to that is: that doesn't satisfy the urge to buy a new gun.

Dont sweat not reaching the slide release or mag release without moving your grip. Most shooters can not. There are a lot of techniques that make this totally a non issue.

They have stages where you throw the pistol into the bucket?

It's always been holster or the last gun used (via stage design) for the 2/3gun stuff I've shot.
everything around me (mid-atlantic) either prohibits re-holstering or you have to totally clear the handgun; yes, the norm is to dump it in a bucket if it's not the last gun used.

Unless I’ve missed it there’s been no mention of the S&W M&P series of pistols.
Is there something specifically wrong with them that eliminates them from contention?

They are not bad. My wife used one for a bit. Put in the Apex trigger and it ran fine. IMHO, they are just not quite in the same league as some of the others mentioned

I ended up going with the X5 Legion. The shop had it and a Q5 match today. Was a really tough decision. The Q5 had better ergos and a better trigger. The X5 had much better build quality IMO. Still not sure if I made the right call, but I can always pick up a Q5 later.

Been pondering the same thing ... buying a competition pistol. My choices have come down to:
- Walther Q5 SF Match (great ergo's)
- SIG X5 Legion (great price-performer)
- CZ75 Tactical Sport (great reviews)

Need to decide fairly soon and get an order going ... leaning towards the CZ 75 TS (at least I am today).

Been pondering the same thing ... buying a competition pistol. My choices have come down to:
- Walther Q5 SF Match (great ergo's)
- SIG X5 Legion (great price-performer)
- CZ75 Tactical Sport (great reviews)
For which sport/pistol division?

The only two CZ pistols that come optics ready out of the box are the Optics Ready versions of the P-10 series and the Shadow 2. Everything else CZ makes has to be sent to have the slide machined which limits you to sights that match your chosen footprint; and none will end up with the sight as low as you can mount it on the P-10 Optics Ready.

I keep swinging between the P-09 that I had milled and the P-10F OR.

The slide release is a non-issue. Hit it with the weak hand thumb on your way to re-establishing your grip after a reload. As far as the mag release, probably 75% of people out there cannot reach them without rotating the pistol at least a little bit (me included). I have tried extended mag releases that stick farther out but end up depressing them with my weak hand as I grip the gun, so I make do with a slight rotation. Dry fire enough and it's also a non-issue.

Of all your CZ options the Shadow 2 is the absolute best and the P-10F is the most cost effective. All the others should be discarded if you want a reflex sight on the gun.

Reactions: Alphatreedog
Glock 34, good enough for Vogel, have two and they are my fave pistols to shoot/train high volume

And here I am rolling up with a Beretta PX4 Storm with a competition trigger group/trigger and some aftermarket sights... such a loser.

I have medium sized hands with slightly shorter than average fingers and I can reach the mag release of my P-10's (with the medium backstrap) without breaking grip.

CZ Custom makes an extended slide release for the P-10 series which should let anyone hit it with the strong hand thumb. It's an option as long as the rules you shoot under allow it.

Been shooting the X5 legion and really liking it. It just points perfectly naturally for me. Had a chance to take it to a bowling pin match and did better with it after having it for 3 days than I ever did with my XDm or HKs. Very happy with my decision.

That being said, it does not make for a good range toy. Trigger just is not there and it does not have the accuracy of steel framed hammer fired guns.

Next on the list is target guns. Looking hard at the Sig P210A target. CZs and 1911s still on the short list as well. Trying to be under 1500. Any suggestions? Range toy only.

I mean I'm no competitive pistolman but I have a Beretta PX4 storm with the match trigger and some other upgrades they offered for a while that I got on clearance or sale and it's a boss. Was used as a backup for a buddy who does pistol competition and he got 2nd place. He never got top 5 with his... gl-yuck.

Now if I was doing that competition I'd get last place. My range with a pistola is about 25 yaahds.

If your X5 is not in the same league as CZ's and just about all 1911's then you have an issue with it. We have played with some for Bianchi and can get sub 3" groups at 50.

LOVE my CZ Tactical Sport Orange ... low bore axis, great sights, light recoil, amazing trigger ... and looks VERY cool. Best shooter in my pistol safe, by far.

Reactions: rezrocket
If your X5 is not in the same league as CZ's and just about all 1911's then you have an issue with it. We have played with some for Bianchi and can get sub 3" groups at 50.
3” groups at 50 with the P320 X5 Legion? Standing or off a rest? Standing I would be happy with double that but I’m not that good a shooter.

mag management, Capacity, caliber, weight .
Weight.
It becomes a bigger issue with age, open property, summer heat.
5" Walther comes to mind.