• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Recommend me a Source for Prefit Shouldered Barrels

Franko

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
May 19, 2018
Southern California
I am looking for a source for prefit shouldered barrels for American Rifle Company (Mausingfield, Archimedes, and Nucleus) actions. I am currently planning on looking into:

1. Southern Precision Rifles
2. Straightjacket Armory
3. Long Rifles Inc.

Is there anyone else that I should be looking at?

P.S. While your here if you have a name for someone that can provide a prefit for the new Bighorn RimX 22rf action I would also love to hear about them

Thanks for your time.

+1 for LRI. I know he maintains a close relationship with ARC. Great customer service also.

Local to Preferred Barrel Blanks and shoot with them on the regular. Great guys to deal with and a great product. Seen a lot of their barrels shoot lights out.

Any opinions, expierence with Keystone? I understood he just moved to a new shop?

Have a krieger in 6.5 creedmoor and very happy with it.

It shoots hornady 140 eldm and berger 130 hybrids very well and was easy to work up a handload for.

Need to add it’s a laser with factory Berger 130 hybrids.

My hand loads are marginally better.

Straight Jacket is where I go for my Nucleus barrels... great customer service and their barrels just flat out shoot.

ExpertVoice
Straight Jacket Armory
Altus Shooting Solutions
Mile High Shooting Accessories

Any opinions, expierence with Keystone? I understood he just moved to a new shop?
I was pleased with the performance of my barrel from him despite the off center throat in a green mountain barrel but I wasnt so pleased to see him disparaging PVA for having a sale with a funny promo code so... the performance was fine but the guy is an asshole (and on more than just this one occasion).

I know Im not gonna consider him anymore.

Edit: since I’m getting searched out by him and confronted about this post via my email now: the length and muzzle threads weren’t as ordered on the barrel either. Hey, I’m an asshole too but if you’re going to talk bad about someone unprompted via social media then prepare to be talked bad about via social media.

Edit: Edit: More class
1585140752856.png

Edit: Edit: Edit: Keep digging buddy, this is why I’m not gonna call you, too much gold to mine from your rubble instead of getting assaulted verbally.
DBB10DB7-7055-44A3-B16E-44B094001C9E.jpeg

Edit: Since it wasnt clear and it was questioned once in a pm: he offered to fix the issues and it performed well, I just didnt want to take another day off work waiting on ups to sign for a rifle to fix something that was functionally safe. Which is why I hadnt brought it up anywhere and didnt include it in the original message until I was contacted

Last edited:
Just about anywhere but PVA. Stay away from Josh and his view that problems or delays are always someone else's fault.

My experience with LRI was great on the Mausingfield hunter they built for me. Very quick delivery, and easy to talk to for details. Definitely recommend them.

Working with Nick @ Straight Jacket on a build now and he's been awesome. When the delivery time for a barrel ordered from Proof was dragging on he went and bought one at retail from another dealer so that he could keep my build moving.

Reactions: Big Ern
Unfortunately Josh's attitude that it's always someone else's fault still persists. His latest attempt at selling new bullets also left a number of folks on Long Range Hunting forum annoyed with ongoing delays and poor communication, just like with the JHR. He's had a number of refund requests due to failure to deliver on the bullets just like he had with the JHR. On the JHR, many posts strongly hint that it was his fault and primary issues were cash flow and bad business practice. He does not seem to have learned from his past mistakes. Too may other good smiths out there to risk dealing with PVA.

The only "major issues" PVA had was with the whole John Hancock situation which a lot of was not on Josh and well documented on this site. PVA does very good work and is a solid choice.

Respectfully, Black Friday orders stand out in my mind.

Reactions: Ksracer
Respectfully, Black Friday orders stand out in my mind.

Didn't hear about the issues with Black Friday.

I guess we could ask the source. @bohem would there be issues with pre fits as the OP is asking about?

Didn't hear about the issues with Black Friday.

I guess we could ask the source. @bohem would there be issues with pre fits as the OP is asking about?

I'm not aware of any delays or issues with normal prefits in the last 9 months or more, especially not with Black Friday this year. We quoted 12/31 as the ship date I believe but we had everything out the door on the 20th as I recall. BF in 2018 had a number of problems but we've been past that for some time now. Sometimes we need to order a specific blank but we've been very pro-active in telling the customer and offering leads accordingly on those cases as well as offering a solution for shorter lead time if they don't NEED that specific blank.

We're cutting barrels now, I am looking over my shoulder at a shelf with ARC-compatible, shouldered barrels in stock, and the barrels I'm cutting currently are all less than 3 weeks old. In fact, we got a group pic from a guy this morning that he's thrilled with his custom AI barrel that he ordered on the 19th last week. It shipped the next day and he shot it already to quite pleasing results. The USPS truck just left with 11 barrels on it that I cut yesterday.

We/I made a mess out of a lot of stuff in 2018, spent a lot of 2019 fixing the issues and recovering those problems and fixing the root causes whether they were here or outside influence.

Last edited:
I'm not aware of any delays or issues with normal prefits in the last 9 months or more, especially not with Black Friday this year. We quoted 12/31 as the ship date I believe but we had everything out the door on the 20th as I recall. BF in 2018 had a number of problems but we've been past that for some time now. Sometimes we need to order a specific blank but we've been very pro-active in telling the customer and offering leads accordingly on those cases as well as offering a solution for shorter lead time if they don't NEED that specific blank.

We're cutting barrels now, I am looking over my shoulder at a shelf with ARC-compatible, shouldered barrels in stock, and the barrels I'm cutting currently are all less than 3 weeks old. In fact, we got a group pic from a guy this morning that he's thrilled with his custom AI barrel that he ordered on the 19th last week. It shipped the next day and he shot it already to quite pleasing results. The USPS truck just left with 11 barrels on it that I cut yesterday.

We/I made a mess out of a lot of stuff in 2018, spent a lot of 2019 fixing the issues and recovering those problems and fixing the root causes whether they were here or outside influence.
Glad to hear it, but what I am wondering about , and a complete detour from the rest of the thread, is the base sizing dies: Ive got some 6xc clicker issues that I think a .467 bushing could resolve.

Reactions: bohem
Glad to hear it, but what I am wondering about , and a complete detour from the rest of the thread, is the base sizing dies: Ive got some 6xc clicker issues that I think a .467 bushing could resolve.
I'll send you a PM so as not to derail the thread. I think we have 465 bushings here that should bring your brass back to 4675 or 468. But I'll get you a PM now.

Reactions: spife7980
Edit: Since it wasnt clear and it was questioned once in a pm: he offered to fix the issues and it performed well, I just didnt want to take another day off work waiting on ups to sign for a rifle to fix something that was functionally safe. Which is why I hadnt brought it up anywhere and didnt include it in the original message until I was contacted
Youch, Im sorry that he acted that way to you. Customer service has always been key for me. I get having a bad day or making an error but no need to call out a customer like that. Repeat customers are built on sugar not a stick.

Reactions: spife7980
Of the ones you mentioned, I’d highly recommend Southern Precision Rifles. The Bartlien they spun up for my TL3 is amazing. Greg and his crew do excellent work and always keep the lead times as short as they can. Customer service and communication was top notch.

Also recommend PVA as I’ve had a good experience in the past with one of Josh’s barrels.

Straight Jacket Armory.

-Nick is awesome. Their business is exploding and he still takes calls on his cell phone and responds to text messages. I do not know the man at all, but he always answers calls, texts, and emails in less than 24 hours when able.
-Answers reloading questions and anything else I've been ignorant to or about whether or not it makes him money or is related to my order.
-Has allowed me to change my chambering on an order I placed for a Pre-fit, most shops aren't as willing/happy to do that for you.
-If necessary, you can call in to see what blanks are in stock, on their shelves in order to potentially cut your lead time down if you're flexible on brands, contours, etc.

Give them a shot, haven't heard complaints from anyone.

Straight Jacket Armory.

-Nick is awesome. Their business is exploding and he still takes calls on his cell phone and responds to text messages. I do not know the man at all, but he always answers calls, texts, and emails in less than 24 hours when able.
-Answers reloading questions and anything else I've been ignorant to or about whether or not it makes him money or is related to my order.
-Has allowed me to change my chambering on an order I placed for a Pre-fit, most shops aren't as willing/happy to do that for you.
-If necessary, you can call in to see what blanks are in stock, on their shelves in order to potentially cut your lead time down if you're flexible on brands, contours, etc.

Give them a shot, haven't heard complaints from anyone.

I second all of this. Nick rocks. I wasn't aware of him until heard about him from a friend in WY and decided to check him out. The guy is awesome and his barrels/builds just plain shoot from what I've seen (my build should be here within a few weeks if COVID-19 doesn't delay it). Have to highly recommend him.

Reactions: Cote0321
I am looking for a source for prefit shouldered barrels for American Rifle Company (Mausingfield, Archimedes, and Nucleus) actions. I am currently planning on looking into:

1. Southern Precision Rifles
2. Straightjacket Armory
3. Long Rifles Inc.

Is there anyone else that I should be looking at?

P.S. While your here if you have a name for someone that can provide a prefit for the new Bighorn RimX 22rf action I would also love to hear about them

Thanks for your time.

OF ALL PLACES!! The Bighorn is a Rem 700 clone like most of them. But like I said, of all the place Grizzly Machine is selling Bartline pre-fits on close out at a reasonable price. Check em out.

Gradous will spin you up a prefit, sure it may not be done in 2 days but it will be right and shoot like a laser!

I’ve ordered a prefit from someone already mentioned, wasn’t anything about it right , they made it good after jumping through a 100 hoops.

I consider Gradous a good friend and a encyclopedia full of knowledge, he gets my vote!

Further more if you’re close to Georgia make the trip down there and he will let you watch and help on a prefit or complete build, kind of a personal experience you can’t get many places if at all.

Last edited:
LRI sends updates every step of the way. Less than 2 weeks and the barrel installed and engraved. Even got to pick chamber for 6.5 creedmore Berger or Hornady. Shoots like a laser. I will always use Chad in the future.