• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Recommend quality seating die

zulu1delta

Private
Minuteman
Mar 26, 2014
Virginia
Looking for a recommendation on a precision 308 seating die with the following qualities.
Easily readable hash marks and clear clean clicks.... May sound odd, but my current one is ancient and the "clicks" have turned to mush.... Thanks.

As far as clean clear hashes that are accurate, I have had good luck with the forster micrometer seater, but there is no "click" like one would associate with a scope turret.

Whidden Gunworks.
Redding competition seater.
Forster Ultra micrometer seater.

Would be my suggestions in that order if looking for a standard 7/8-14 die.

Sinclair stainless bullet seater is my current favorite, used with an arbor press.

And in my press with threaded dies i've gotten best results with a Triebel 1 1/4-12 Benchrest seater, with matched seating stems for the bullets i use, it has no micrometer adjustment though, no retailers in the US and they have some wait time.

Last edited:
My vote is for the Whidden die too but it does not "click" when adjustments are made. FWIW, I have not had any issues with the die moving on me once my depth is set.

RCBS Gold Medal Seater... Has the micrometer knob like the others but has one stand out feature, loading port for the bullet. This makes seating faster and easier. No more balancing the bullet on the case. Just drop the bullet in through the port on the side of the die and it gets held by the free floating bushing until you pull the press to seat it. Accurate and fast! Build finish isn't as high as Redding or Whidden but it's still pretty good.

If I were to do it again and had $50 extra coin (over the cost of the Forster) to spare I'd run the Whidden. But that said, my money went with the Forster Ultra and it has functioned very well and has never left me wanting to replace it unnecessarily!!

I've got a Redding and a Forster, both with micrometers on them. No clicks, but they are both great dies.