• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Recommendation for a 1 mile scope

ForgeValley

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jan 22, 2018
    WNC
    I recently joined a range where I will have regular access to targets out to one mile, and putting together a 300 Norma.

With scopes, all my experience is 1200 and in. Looking for recommendations on a good 1 mile scope. Currently using a 5-25 Leupold Mk5. I have enough elevation for the 300 NM in that scope, but not sure I'll be super happy at 1 mile with it.

If not happy with the MK5, might as well step up to ZCO to get to the next level. Nothing in the price range of the MK5 will give an appreciably better picture IMHO. For me at 1 mile, the resolution difference between the two is seeing blurry trails on the legs of walking deer with the Mk5, vs a clear picture, even on moving extremities with the ZCO. General mirage is cut approx in half at one mile with the ZCO. Color and contrast also improved, although not as big of a difference here.

Reactions: CSTactical
    I ran a Burris XTRII 5-25×50 on my 300 Norma mag for 3 years. I hammered our range's one mile plate. I put hits on our 40x40 inch plate, and got a couple hits on our 24x24" plate at 2150 yards.

Not to mention I bagged two bull elk with it.

The MK5 will treat you just fine.

That's actually what I was referring to when I said I may not be happy with the mk5 at a mile, resolution, color and clarity. I'm in the southeast and on those humid, hot days mirage and the humidity is killing image clarity even at 1200. A scope that could cut through that crap would be amazing.

Reactions: Birddog6424
    Yes, I guess I could've added that I've shot 1 mile with my XTR3 5.5-30 and my Trijicon 5-50 without issue. But I find them optically equivalent to the MK5... so if you must have "better" than MK5, buy the ZCO.

Yes, I guess I could've added that I've shot 1 mile with my XTR3 5.5-30 and my Trijicon 5-50 without issue. But I find them optically equivalent to the MK5... so if you must have "better" than MK5, buy the ZCO.

Haha, I follow you brother.

I'm a simpler cut of cloth. My take was if I can do all I need to do at those distances with a $1000 scope, then a nicer Luepy MK5 ought to serve as well.. 🤣

But you can't fault a fella who wants the best...

Coleman's Creek? Banged the 12" gong at a mile 2 out of 3 times with my 7mmRM and a Vortex Razor II 4.5-27x56. No problems seeing it.

ETA: If you were looking for higher end then the ZCO would be a good choice. Nothing will get rid of the heavy mirage though so don't expect crystal clear of it's rolling.

Reactions: waveslayer
    I am in DFW Texas, hot and humid here, the ZCO is sooo much better than my Vortex Gen 2 Razor 4.5-27 and my leupold Mk5's, MK 6, and Steiner MXi that I can hardly stand to shoot behind them anymore...

ETA not to mention my Trijicon and NF NX series

Coleman's Creek? Banged the 12" gong at a mile 2 out of 3 times with my 7mmRM and a Vortex Razor II 4.5-27x56. No problems seeing it.

ETA: If you were looking for higher end then the ZCO would be a good choice. Nothing will get rid of the heavy mirage though so don't expect crystal clear of it's rolling.

Yes, CC, just joined up. Been shooting at Clinton House, but the range setup at CC was just too tempting.

I've owned most the quality scopes at one time or another, and have been really happy with the Mk5 at the distances I normally shoot. Never owned that top tier though like zco or TT. Might be time to step up after I saved back up my pennies.

Reactions: Rob01
    Yeah the Coleman's Creek ranges are great. I haven't made it down there as much as I would have liked but plan to make it down again soon.

Yeah the Coleman's Creek ranges are great. I haven't made it down there as much as I would have liked but plan to make it down again soon.

It's a 3 hour haul for me, but I'm committed to making it once a month.

Reactions: Rob01
    Yes, CC, just joined up. Been shooting at Clinton House, but the range setup at CC was just too tempting.

I've owned most the quality scopes at one time or another, and have been really happy with the Mk5 at the distances I normally shoot. Never owned that top tier though like zco or TT. Might be time to step up after I saved back up my pennies.

Give us a call when you're looking to move up to a ZCO or TT and we can go over some of the differences of those fantastic scopes :)

Reactions: ForgeValley
    Haha, I follow you brother.

I'm a simpler cut of cloth. My take was if I can do all I need to do at those distances with a $1000 scope, then a nicer Luepy MK5 ought to serve as well.. 🤣

But you can't fault a fella who wants the best...

I wrote elsewhere on the site that the ZCO is completely unnecessary for me, and I really have no business having it, like the old guy who takes his Ferrari to the grocery store. But, I like it, so I kept it. In the end, it's simply a long range 3D billiards game for me. Gets the mundane daily stuff out of my head, relieves stress, and hones some skills in the process. I have yet to see conditions where I'd need the ZCO to make a shot, but that's normally the justification given for having one.

I recently joined a range where I will have regular access to targets out to one mile, and putting together a 300 Norma.

With scopes, all my experience is 1200 and in. Looking for recommendations on a good 1 mile scope. Currently using a 5-25 Leupold Mk5. I have enough elevation for the 300 NM in that scope, but not sure I'll be super happy at 1 mile with it.
    I’ve had no issues shoot at a mile with scopes with less image quality than the mark 5.
    Your leupy is more than enough glass for a mile.

Hello guya,

I am new to long range shooting and I too want to shot a mile and purchased a Savage 110 Precision in 6.5 Creedmoor. I am thinking about purchasing the Vortex Strike eagle 5-25x56 FFP. I also like the Trijicon TenMile 5-50x56 but the price is twice the Vortex. I have heard great things about both scopes as my father has the Vortex on his 6.5 creedmoor and the Trijicon speaks for itself. Thoughts?

Hello guya,

I am new to long range shooting and I too want to shot a mile and purchased a Savage 110 Precision in 6.5 Creedmoor. I am thinking about purchasing the Vortex Strike eagle 5-25x56 FFP. I also like the Trijicon TenMile 5-50x56 but the price is twice the Vortex. I have heard great things about both scopes as my father has the Vortex on his 6.5 creedmoor and the Trijicon speaks for itself. Thoughts?

I have the Trijicon 5-50 on my airgun. It is great glass, but the FOV is not great, at least compared to the wide angle scopes available now. I don't know the strike eagle, other than what I've read. I'd suggest an XTR3i 5-30 for around ~1K, as glass is very close to the Trij, but with huge FOV. I have 2 of the non-illuminated XTR3's.

With scopes, all my experience is 1200 and in. Looking for recommendations on a good 1 mile scope. Currently using a 5-25 Leupold Mk5. I have enough elevation for the 300 NM in that scope, but not sure I'll be super happy at 1 mile with it
    I've shot full-size IPSC silhouettes at a mile with 16x with no issues. Clarity beats magnification.

Reactions: db2000
    Razor 4-27 on a 6.5 was doing fine for me. I guess it depends on the size of what you’re trying to hit, but worked great for my purposes at a mile.
    5506A599-4141-4F67-AEB9-E417FF0A21D9.jpeg

Nice thanks guys! I am getting a scope next week and also am considering a suppressor. What kind are you using coryred? My Savage has the MDT chassis too with a 24 inch heavy fluted barrel.

it’s a saker 7.62 and does excellent. On the heavy side but not like it was a light setup. There’s definitely lighter cans but the saker is a very solid do everything can. The wrap is a silencerco wrap

Last Sunday I managed to see the holes from .338 to 600yd with my S&B 5-45x56.
    ZCO may have even better glass, but in my opinion it has too thick reticles.
    When shooting a FFP long, it is important that the reticle does not cover the target.
    the LRR-MILdi S&B is unbeatable.

Does the suppressor change your bullet drop dramatically at a mile?
    Honestly never shot it that far without it, but I’d assume so. I can’t really remember the last time I shot a rifle unsuppressed.