• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Recommendation for a modern SPR Scope?

Alpha_fox

Private
Minuteman
Oct 14, 2022
Ohio
Hi all,

I am new to longer range shooting but got into it over the pandemic with one of my friends from back home. I am looking to upgrade the glass on an American Defense Manufacturing SPR that I have been shooting (I was running an old Vortex Diamondback 4-16) but I am starting to get lost in weeds as I look at scopes. I've looked at the big American Brands (Vortex Razor LHT, Leupold Vx6HD, Trijicon Tenmile) and have started to look at some of the German options as well but I don't know much beyond the big brand names so I figured I would ask for some expert opinions on what the best option is for $1300 (or below preferably) with lower end magnification between 2x-3x and an upper range between 12x-18x. I appreciate any insight or recommendations for a newer distance shooter.

Last edited:
How big a concern is weight? The burris xtr3 is probably the best deal in the 1k range. I have a vortex lht 3-15 and it's a nice scope for what it is but the xtr is superior in every way except weight.

How big a concern is weight? The burris xtr3 is probably the best deal in the 1k range. I have a vortex lht 3-15 and it's a nice scope for what it is but the xtr is superior in every way except weight.
Ideally the lighter the better. I use a VX6HD 1-6 on my 13.7 custom AR-15 and that's just over 16oz so that is what I am "used" to. Obviously, this will be considerably heavier than that so I would put it maybe fourth in importance behind factors like glass quality, reliability, and magnification range.

I second what the Mushroom says here, hard to beat the XTR IIIi for the price, if you want something under $1500 this is almost always at the top of my recommendation list. Contact Scott at Liberty Optics, he sells these, HebrewHammer guy has been coming on strong but fairly new to the Hide, not sure who has better deals so get in touch with both and find out.

On my SPR right now I have an Athon Helos BTR Gen 2 2-12x42 mostly because I wanted a "smaller" scope, I normally avoid CCP funded equipment but I bought this to review against another scope and loved it so much for the price decided to keep it as it has surprisingly good glass for the price, time will tell how well it will hold up over time. If I wanted more reach than 12x, I'd be sporting the Burris XTR IIIi 3.3-18 or the NF NX8 2.5-20 depending on my needs. Another great scope is the Vortex PST II 3-15x44 which can usually be found for around $600ish, my guess is Vortex will soon have a PST III line coming out to compete with all these new $1k-$2k players...

I second what the Mushroom says here, hard to beat the XTR IIIi for the price, if you want something under $1500 this is almost always at the top of my recommendation list. Contact Scott at Liberty Optics, he sells these, HebrewHammer guy has been coming on strong but fairly new to the Hide, not sure who has better deals so get in touch with both and find out.

On my SPR right now I have an Athon Helos BTR Gen 2 2-12x42 mostly because I wanted a "smaller" scope, I normally avoid CCP funded equipment but I bought this to review against another scope and loved it so much for the price decided to keep it as it has surprisingly good glass for the price, time will tell how well it will hold up over time. If I wanted more reach than 12x, I'd be sporting the Burris XTR IIIi 3.3-18 or the NF NX8 2.5-20 depending on my needs. Another great scope is the Vortex PST II 3-15x44 which can usually be found for around $600ish, my guess is Vortex will soon have a PST III line coming out to compete with all these new $1k-$2k players...

I started looking at the PST, but decided I could throw some extra coin at the set-up so that has been in my back pocket as like a baseline scope. I've seen some info on Athlon but I don't really know how they compare with the rest of the price range. I also considered going for a Swarovski Z3 or a Steiner Predator 4 but the magnification range just doesn't seem to be there and I'm not sure how much I really need illumination. I am kind of hoping that if there is a sale I could upgrade to a higher-end scope from one of those two, but I haven't seen much in the way of used or deals lately.

In that magnification category, I might steer you toward the Leupold Mark 5 3-18 or the Nightforce NX8 2.5-20. If you have to come down in budget, the Vortex PST Gen2 line is a great value. Athlon is also worth a look.

Happy to chat live. What you will find is that there are many "good options" and you will need to find the scope that clicks with you. Especially the reticle. Personally, I find Nightforce and Leupold reticles to be simple and easy to use, but it is a personal thing. I would study the reticles in lowest and highest magnification (for FFP). Next is the feel and location of the turrets. Of course, I did not mention MOA or MIL. Most scopes have slowly moved away from MOA, but it still has its applications in hunting and target shooting with known distances. I shoot both, but mostly MIL.

Reactions: Pappasniper
Nightforce ATACR 4-16X42 F1:

santanpillarreceiversetbuilds
IMG_9412.jpg
IMG_9413.jpg
IMG_9417.jpg

Last edited:

That same Athlon DMR is the one that's on my AR in 6mmFatRat. Yep, it's pretty darn good for the money! It's held up fine. I got one out of the first shipment into the USA.

Reactions: Glassaholic
Magnification isn't as serious as some think it needs to be for a DMR rifle unless you really need to spot for yourself to identify things.
On my DMR builds I've hit at 1000yds with a 308 & NXS on 10x, and hit at 800yds with a 5.56 & NXS on 10x. I didn't feel limited [optically] compared to shooting a M24 with M7Xi on that same range out to 1000yds.
Something like a 2-10 Credo, 2.5-10 NXS, or equivalent Vortex Viper PST would be totally sufficient for most any task on a DMR setup. Something like a Tenmile, ATACR, or T6Xi would be a luxury and likely not make much of a difference in a DMR comp competitively, though it would feel like a "nice to have" if weight isn't a concern.
Just my take. And I have a little DM experience.

Cheers

Reactions: Glassaholic
Magnification isn't as serious as some think it needs to be for a DMR rifle unless you really need to spot for yourself to identify things.
On my DMR builds I've hit at 1000yds with a 308 & NXS on 10x, and hit at 800yds with a 5.56 & NXS on 10x. I didn't feel limited [optically] compared to shooting a M24 with M7Xi on that same range out to 1000yds.
Something like a 2-10 Credo, 2.5-10 NXS, or equivalent Vortex Viper PST would be totally sufficient for most any task on a DMR setup. Something like a Tenmile, ATACR, or T6Xi would be a luxury and likely not make much of a difference in a DMR comp competitively, though it would feel like a "nice to have" if weight isn't a concern.

Cheers
Thanks a bunch, Do you have an opinion on First vs Second focal plane? I just got sent a link to a Leica Amplus 6 2.5-15x50i sale on Eurooptic but I've primarily been looking at FFP and don't know if the step-up (?) in glass is worth going to a SFP?

Thanks a bunch, Do you have an opinion on First vs Second focal plane? I just got sent a link to a Leica Amplus 6 2.5-15x50i sale on Eurooptic but I've primarily been looking at FFP and don't know if the step-up (?) in glass is worth going to a SFP?
That depends entirely on you.
A SFP reticles will remain thick and allow for easier/faster acquisition in the lower power ranges [particularly during low light] which is why hunters gravitate towards them, but you can only really use the reticle as intended at a particular power. FFP reticles will allow for use of the reticle throughout all of the power ranges, but in some cases that makes the reticle difficult [if not impossible] to see against certain background and in low light because of how fine it gets.
Both have pros and cons.

Reactions: Alpha_fox
Personally I tend to not mind [and even prefer] SFP reticles under 8x or 10x max power. With scopes that have max powers higher than 10x I gravitate towards FFP reticles because I may want to use the reticle at 8x or 10x; which, if that's the case, it would do me no good with a 3-15x FFP scope. Your intended use, potential for different scenarios, and environment may dictate for you which focal plane you need.

Avoid them. Those are SFP BDC reticles. Not worth it when the drops are only good at max magnification (with a 15X top end).

You are on the right path with FFP.

Personally I tend to not mind [and even prefer] SFP reticles under 8x or 10x max power. With scopes that have max powers higher than 10x I gravitate towards FFP reticles because I may want to use the reticle at 8x or 10x; which, if that's the case, it would do me no good with a 3-15x FFP scope. Your intended use, potential for different scenarios, and environment may dictate for you which focal plane you need.
I just want to say above and beyond a “like”, Bakwa 100% nailed the FFP VS SFP reticle choice and use. Read this and if it doesn’t make sense ask why, because herein lies the gospel my friend.
PB

Reactions: Bakwa

Cheers

I agree for decent sized targets. I'm not shooting at moa sized steel with these kind of scopes. More like 1.5 moa up to 3 moa size.

We have a 55 gallon drum with an 4 cylinder engine block in it at 1122Y. If the wind isn't bad I hit the block often which makes a thud sound using my 6mmFatRat with my Athlon Helos G2 2-12x42 on top. Don't need a fine crosshair to do this. Actually I'm kinda done with mil reticles with fine line thicknesses. IMHO scopes like these are better with thicker reticles.

Reactions: rlh_20 and Bakwa
Thanks for all your help everyone, I Think I'm down to the following after making it to a local store and actually looking through a few. Is there a clear winner on any of these, this is at the top of my budget so I'm figuring at least one will end up on a black Friday sale and to my newbie eye all of these are worlds better than anything I have previously shot.

Burris Xtreme Tactical XTR III 3.3-18x50mm (FFP) SCR-2 Reticle ($1100)​

Steiner T5Xi 3-15x50mm Rifle Scope (FFP) SCR MOA Reticle ($1200)​

NightForce SHV 4-14x50mm F1 (FFP) Illuminated MIL-R Reticle ($1200)​

Between those three, I'd pick the Burris or Steiner. I'm predominantly a NF guy but not the SHV line. The two scopes I like best for "DMR" are the ATACR 4-16x and the Razor Gen3 1-10x (only because the illuminated dot and translucency best out the ATACR 1-8x reticle) but the NX8 2.5-20 is pretty good too. They are all a bit more but you could probably find one second hand for a little bump in budget.