• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Recommendation on a HK P30?

c1steve

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 16, 2010
WA
I have several Sigs, which I am very comfortable with, but am thinking about buying a HK P30L. What do hide members think about the P30 vs Sig?

None of my Sigs have malfunctioned, but a recent P226 did have an out of spec barrel. However that was fixable. I am mostly thinking about the LEM trigger. I shot a P30 DA/SA and the trigger was most inferior to the Sig DA/SA trigger. However I have read that the LEM V1 and V4 are nice triggers, and are usually easier to shoot accurately, at least the first shot.

Any recommendations?

I don't own a P30, but do own a HK45c and a P2k, both Light LEM. I find the LEM trigger very easy to shoot accurately, once accustomed to. It will be the same from first shot to last. The best way I can describe it, is it feels like a 5#, 2 stage rifle trigger. With the first stage at about 1.5# with a 4# break.

I own a P30 da/sa I love the ergos best ever, but the trigger is not great. That being said I knew it wasn't when i bought it but the ergos sold me on it. I have never been a big dao fan so i went da/sa. Maybe one day a company will come out with an upgrade but until then I will still shoot it often and carry a Glock 19.

I have a P30 V1. P30L V3 (DA/SA) and USP 40C V2. The V1 trigger is by far the nicest of the three. I also have numerous Sig 226's and 229's. The ergo's on the P30 are much nicer than the Sig's. The P30 being a polymer frame does not get hot when you run it hard in the summer. I find the Sig's heat up with the alloy frame if you run them for a while. As for which trigger is easier to shoot accurately? I don't think it is the trigger that makes a difference as much as the shooter who knows and perceives a difference in feel from DA to SA. I can shoot all shots DA just as accurate as all SA. The P30 is a natural pointer. I would recommend the V1 in a P30 or P30L, I don't find any difference in how I shoot the L over the standard length. The V1 and V2 triggers have a bit of take up which you can take out as you press the gun out.

I am an HK fan, but the triggers are their only weak point. However, after a couple of mags you can master quickly. If that's what you shoot, you can shoot it well. These great triggers just make us sloppy on form with 1911's and MNP's with APEX etc. And I do like them, however I like to use my HK's to work on trigger control and make me better. Fit and finish and reliability, its in a league of its own.
P30L
HK45
HK45c, its all good stuff

PB

P30 series pistols are great guns. Sig makes great guns as well but I find that the ergo sand the heavy weight are not appealing.

Thanks for the informative replies, most interesting. I see one in my future...
I do have a few Sigs, like the ergos, and find the weight helps with recoil. However carrying one 8 hours a day could be an issue, one would definitely need a good belt.

I did shoot a P30 on the range, it felt great in the hand but the trigger was poor. I suspect that Gray Guns could make significant improvements with an action job.

s

Trigger is poor.

A lot of improvements in that to be made - ALSO at a big price!

Not a lot of folks out there doing H&K P30 action work, so its expensive (like everything for H&K)

~Will

You are not going to find many people out there that have a good amount of trigger time on a P30 that say anything but good things. They just work. The ergos are different from other pistols, same for the trigger. There will be a learning curve the pistol, but if you are willing to put in some time with, smart money says you will love the P30. Not that you asked, but I'd echo everything above about an HK45c.

I shoot both the Sig p220 and the P30. I can say that the ergos on the pistol are some of the best I've ever felt. However the trigger does need a work over by Gray Guns.

I have a P30L V3 and an HK45 also DA/SA.
Like all others have said the trigger is the only negative on the gun.
I haven't tried the V1 yet but once I do I'll make my decision on what course of action to take.

There is nobody here in Canada that I would trust doing trigger work on them.

Getting them to Gray Guns would take an awful lot of paperwork, and time.

I sold all of my Sigs except the P226 X6 & P210 Legend. I own many HKs. The match trigger in the USP is better than any of the new HKs. I carry either a HK45C or a P2000sk. I've owned 2 P30L DA/SA, & I sold them to buy HK Experts. The P30L is a great gun. Heck, in a class I was shooting a 4" steel plate at 100 yards with standard sights with it. Personally, I hate the HK LEM trigger. I would shoot one before you bought one;)