• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Recommendations for a cheek pad?

I've used a block of styrofoam trimmed to the correct height and wrapped with electrical tape in conjunction with a cheap stock pad / pack. It's worked just fine. Not to steal the thread but I've been toying with the idea of a karsten cheek rest, are there any of you out there with opinions on this?

I've used everything from some spare Pelican foam under a Triad Stock Pack, to having [MENTION=57399]stockdoc[/MENTION] here on the Hide add the KMW adjustable cheek piece. I guess it depends on what you're trying to accomplish and what you want to spend.

Depends on the stock. I have used Tac Ops stock pack and Triad stock packs on fixed stocks. I use Wiebad stock pads on my Manners with the adjustable cheek pieces.

Triad. But I really dislike the only one that I purchased with the internal loops. By design, it is to left open for access when shooting. That means the zipper pull is reversed and when the pocket is closed, the zipper and pull are up on top and just ahead of my right eye. I wanted internal loops for my hunting rig, but wish I would have stuck with the external loops and used an ammo card inside the pocket. Otherwise, I have several and will continue to purchase them.

Triad. But I really dislike the only one that I purchased with the internal loops. By design, it is to left open for access when shooting. That means the zipper pull is reversed and when the pocket is closed, the zipper and pull are up on top and just ahead of my right eye. I wanted internal loops for my hunting rig, but wish I would have stuck with the external loops and used an ammo card inside the pocket. Otherwise, I have several and will continue to purchase them.

If the direction of the zipper is a concern to you, you may like the Modular Stock Pack™ design better. The zipper will travel in the direction you like, and you can keep shells inside, outside or both.

Triad Tactical, Inc.*::*Triad Tactical*::*All Triad Stock Packs™

Depends what you want.

Stock pack Triad is the way to go, just have the older standard models but they work great.

A permanent adjustable cheek rest Defensive Edge, or Karsten.

A last option, that i have never tried myself would be this the Bradley rest, stock pack with cheekrest, looks well made but have never tried one..
bradleycheekrest.com/

I have a manners nonadjustable stock. I need ~ 3/8" more height. I was looking at the Triad prior to the posting, and the comments verified my assumptions. I now have one on the way.
Thank you all for the help.
mh

I used tactical tailor, and triad. I would choose the triad.

Get which ever stock pack feels confortable to your cheeks, then you can insert mousepads underneath till you get your desired height. Works well for me and is comfortable and cost effective.

Update: Received and Installed my Triad Cheek Pad.
First Blush: Easy to install. Comfortable. Comes with height adjustment pieces so I was able to get the desired height by adding/removing some of the height adjustment strips that come with the cheek pad. I ordered the extra height adjustment strips, but they were not needed.
Personal preference: The next one I buy will not have the pouch on the side. I bought the pad with the side pouch with the shell loops inside. I do not foresee using the pouch much.
Overall: Great cheek pad.
Thank you for the advice.

I like the Triad packs I have as well; but have the same complaint about the zipper pull being in the way. Reversing the direction of the zipper wouldn't have entirely solved the problem, because I assume that sometimes you'd shoot with it closed, and other times (e.g. a match) you might shoot with it open. Replacing the 550 cord pull with something smaller solved the problem for me. Using a short strip of gutted 550 casing works well and keeps the tab out of your way, but gives you enough of a knot to grab without problem...

Comes with height adjustment pieces so I was able to get the desired height by adding/removing some of the height adjustment strips that come with the cheek pad. I ordered the extra height adjustment strips, but they were not needed.

I had no idea they have height adjusting straps, genius. Just now looking at their variety of cheek pads and designs makes me want one.

Does the cheek cushion have a rubberized or velvety feel to it? I can't tell from the pictures.

Kinduv a neoprene feel on the cheek side. Nice. A little texture, but it is not a rubber that sticks to your face.

Triad on two rifles - love them. I took the adjustable piece off my McMillan A4 stock and put on the Triad.

I put stock packs from McRees on both my rifles. They have double zippers so if on the outside pouch, the rear loop can be set up for left or right handed shooters.

I've been using a Triad for just a couple of months and it's the only one I've ever had. I like it and don't see any need to change so far. It's very comfy. The only thing that would bother me if I had to be bothered, is that I can't fold my Mcree stock and have it lock closed with it installed. I haven't had any reason to fold the stock on the Mcree yet so it hasn't been even the slightest issue.

Gratuitous pic.

20131215-20131215_5360-M.jpg

Last edited: