• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Recommendations for a duty AR-10

clrems77

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2013
Orange County Ca
Our team is in need of a duty ready AR-10 that can withstand the everyday use and abuse of a field rifle and keep the accuracy of a comp one. Unfortunately Larue has a back order time of 2 years and the bosses aren't willing to wait that long. Not sure if it's me, but their customer service hasn't been up to par recently either!

A few companies I've been researching so far are JP Enterprises, POF and Proof research. If you have any experience with these companies or someone you think would be good, please let me know!

Budget is roughly $3500.

Thanks!

If I recall correctly, our spotters have been using the Knights SR25 for quite some time. That could be because we are too lazy to look for something else or we've been happy with its performance. Having said that though, we started using the Knights SR16 too. Not sure if your budget includes the optic. If not, Knights may be in reach; call them as they offer dept/ LE pricing.

I personally own an 18" LMT MWS w/ a stainless barrel that I am very happy with. I still have another 2 months or so for my GAP10 to be completed but I'm sure it will be well worth the money.

PM me if you're interested in more specific info on the Knights and I'll get you more info.

I am very interested to see the responses for this thread. I own several AR15s that have run flawless since day one. I have been researching .308 ARs pretty heavily during the last few months. From what I have read, none of them display the off the shelf reliability of an AR15. It seems to be real hit and miss. I would be very hesitant to trust my life to a .308 AR.

We are looking at switching over from 223 to 300blk for entries and then some. I have a Daniel Defense in 300blk that will easily shoot sub moa. 300blk is quickly growing, especially since a lot of the military is going to them.

Have you thought about G A Precision? Wait time would be a little better than Larue. Two agencies on our team just got GAP 10's in .308 Win. W/ 18" barrels. We just doped them out to 600 yards last Wednesday.

I have a SR-25 I've used since the early 1990's and I bought a GAP 10 late last year. My GAP 10 shoots circles around the SR-25.

There is no such thing as a "do everything" rifle but my first choice for a precision AR-10 for duty would be the OBR. Though, I hear you on the wait. Second would be GAP-10. I am currently deploying with one. JP would be another option I'd consider and possibly a POF. I have no first hand experience with them but have read that a big CA agency (Fish & Game, I believe) did an extensive trial and ended up with the POF.

We are looking at switching over from 223 to 300blk for entries and then some. I have a Daniel Defense in 300blk that will easily shoot sub moa. 300blk is quickly growing, especially since a lot of the military is going to them.

Whose military is that?

Further proof that minority friendly civil service exams have evicerated the average intelligence of police officers.....

Have looked to the Sig 716 Patrol? I really like mine and I shoot it in a hot dusty environment and have never had any issues with reliability. With a $ 3500 budget that leaves a lot of room for accessories. Just a thought.

Our team is in need of a duty ready AR-10 that can withstand the everyday use and abuse of a field rifle and keep the accuracy of a comp one. Unfortunately Larue has a back order time of 2 years and the bosses aren't willing to wait that long. Not sure if it's me, but their customer service hasn't been up to par recently either!

A few companies I've been researching so far are JP Enterprises, POF and Proof research. If you have any experience with these companies or someone you think would be good, please let me know!

Budget is roughly $3500.

Thanks!

What's the purpose of the rifle? Small budget and no mission means this is a nogo.

OBR MWS sr25 and the scar17 are the only ones durrable and proven enough for duty use.

Last edited:
Further proof that minority friendly civil service exams have evicerated the average intelligence of police officers.....[/QUOTE
Info came from SF guys that frequent the LGS. they may have been lying. Your right, I should have not said anything without first hand knowledge. My bad

Inquiring minds what to know.... Please share....

I use an LMT MWS. It has been a great rifle for what I have it for (heavy patrol rifle to supplement my SBR .223). My agency leaves this open as an option for guys to carry in addition to the department mandated .223, and we have a mixture of Sig 716's and Ruger SR762's being used. We all trained this morning and everything ran well except for one of the Ruger's that was having some short stroke issues.

I can't speak about the true precision capability of any of the weapons in comparison to my 700 as they fulfill a different role; however, the trigger on the LMT definitely has an edge on the Ruger and Sig if precision fire is the name of the game. I will say that the LMT is a heavy pig to maneuver around, but it certainly soaks up the recoil nicely for quicker follow up shots.

Given your budget I would say the LMT MWS is going to offer you the most bang for your buck. I was in a similar situation awhile back and ended up with the LMT LM8 slick side. I was really interested in an SR-25 but it was out of my price range. I also considered rifles from JP and GA Precision. The proven record of the LMT both stateside and with the British helped sway me. The fact it is essentially a SR-25 lower sealed the deal!

More info on what the exact use of the rifle will be will help more. Will it be used for entry or as a perimeter role as a DMR rifle or some of both? Does the $3,500 budget include optics, magazines, ammo and training? The intended use will dictate which barrel and length you will want along the choices in optics.

Not sure whether you are LEO/Military from your original post but you should consider either SR25 series or HK417. Both are field proven. I own the civi MR762 and on my way towards an SR25. I have fired the SR25 ECR on multiple occasions (buddy's rifle) and both are super reliable. Your budget may preclude both but a few more dollars may be warranted.

good luck,

Nik H

I feel your pain on the LaRue OBR. I have been in line for 13 months with no end in sight.

I've used KAC and LaRue OBRs as well as the Scar heavy down Range. The M110 SASS is a less than stellar(SR-25 is much better). The OBRs are great but it will take a while to get them. The SCARS suck ass for what they were designed for but are great for owning 800 yds and in. They're surprisingly accurate, light and if the stock doesn't break on you, it's OK. I own a GAP-10 and I'm beating the hell out of it. It's the most accurate semi auto I've ever been behind. It's a hammer bro. Cheers mate

What's the purpose of the rifle? Small budget and no mission means this is a nogo.

OBR MWS sr25 and the scar17 are the only ones durrable and proven enough for duty use.

I agree with^^^^^ but would also add the JPLRP 07.

Last edited:
Our team is in need of a duty ready AR-10 that can withstand the everyday use and abuse of a field rifle and keep the accuracy of a comp one.

Thanks!

You don't specify if "your team" is military or law enforcement. Assume law enforcement. Based on this description above, the JP LRP07 would be a good choice. If you call them up, they'll be able to refer you to departments that have used them for years with good results.

Thanks for all the responses! The rifle will be used in a LE practice and I have since contacted JP regarding the purchase. Thanks again for all the help!

If your marksman or purchasing agents need to ask a forum what equipment to use.......they should not be allowed anywhere near a rifle.

* * * If you have any experience with these companies or someone you think would be good, please let me know!
Budget is roughly $3500.
Thanks!

You want LMT's MRP 7.62 MWS or the supposedly "light-weight" version, the LM8, which is what I have. FWIW, the British military adopted the 7.62 MRP MWS. The rifle comes standard w/ a 16" tube, but at the time I also bought the 18" SS SPR barrel because it was in stock.

The LM8 is a very accurate "AR-10" style rifle.
I haven't had one hiccup using old ass 7.62 Portuguese fodder as well as recent PMC 308.
When shooting Federal 168gn match ammo using the 18" barrel, I got sub-MOA @ 100yds.

A couple of pics:

"Tactical blaster" configuration:
Troy irons & 16" barrel wearing a BABC in place of the A2 FH

SPR configuration:
Leupy 34mm 1-6x scope and 18" SS barrel, CTR w/ RISR cheekpiece, & other items common to both set-ups

Last edited:
If your marksman or purchasing agents need to ask a forum what equipment to use.......they should not be allowed anywhere near a rifle.

Really?!?! Wow...that was entertaining....you are obviously not associated with an LE department.

I doubt I'll live to see the day that anybody in purchasing has even the remotest clue with regard to ANY LE equipment, let alone something as specialized as a precision gas gun. As long as it is the least expensive option, that's good enough for them. As for the "marksmen", while I know many who are well informed, those "gun guys" are in the minority. Most LE shoot what they are issued without any say in the matter or real interest beyond how well it shoots. The OP is definitely in the minority being in a Department which would be willing to openly evaluate options and let team members have a say in selecting the equipment they will actually have to deploy with.

Really?!?! Wow...that was entertaining....you are obviously not associated with an LE department.

I doubt I'll live to see the day that anybody in purchasing has even the remotest clue with regard to ANY LE equipment, let alone something as specialized as a precision gas gun. As long as it is the least expensive option, that's good enough for them. As for the "marksmen", while I know many who are well informed, those "gun guys" are in the minority. Most LE shoot what they are issued without any say in the matter or real interest beyond how well it shoots. The OP is definitely in the minority being in a Department which would be willing to openly evaluate options and let team members have a say in selecting the equipment they will actually have to deploy with.

If they don't know what kind of equipment they should be running, then they don't need to run that type of equipment.

Just what we need, more under-trained and undereducated LEO's with more firepower and no idea how to employ it. Sounds like a winner to me.

There is no "cheap" option and any advantage or benefit to running this system is completley negated without the training and experince to use it. The training alone, will eclipse the cost of the gun......and this does not even include optics, ammo, accessories, maintenance and support.

So like I said, if some retard with a badge has to come to an Internet forum to decide what kind of duty weapon he should be using, then he has ZERO business making such decisions for himself, herself or anyone else.

These are the typical responses you can expect from certain members of this forum.
I have met experienced Force recon scout snipers that didn't know shit about selecting a rifle, optic or ammunition, yet they were highly successful warfighters and damn fine marksman.
Just like most cops, they shoot what they are issued.

I'm not sure where the OP is, there are several routes he can take to get there.
Interestingly enough, when you consider that the AR platform was originally designed around the 7.62x51, and was proven to be accurate and reliable in the original testing, they have serious problems making reliable AR10 pattern rifles.

First, you need to decide what mag system you want to run FAL or AR10.
My brother recently bought a Rock River, it shoots very well indeed with his handloads, but he certainly had issues with reliability at first. Rock River has an LE division for agency sales.
GAP is reputed to build a fine rifle, and would be well worth the investment, however other folks build fine AR10's also.
Les Baer build a very fine rifle and you may be able to spec one out to meet your requirements.

What people should really be worried about is the militarization of our domestic police forces. There is a reason why police are committing acts of violence on the American people. They are being taught they are in a war zone and their enemy is the American people. DHS (America's SS) bribes them with military hardware. It is all part of the plan to create an US and THEM mentality.

You should be afraid. Things have changed.

Nobody here has even inquired as to what kind of "team" this guy is talking about or what the rifle would be used for.

LMT MWS in some form, KAC SR25, or GAP-10. Pick in what ever order gets it to you fastest. Like you said OBR is tough to get right now(and most likely always will be). I dont know anything about JP's 308 platform, but considering they generally cater to the comp/game crowd, I dont know if I would want one for a duty weapon, but I am sure others with real experience could tell you otherwise.

I couldnt see using a SCAR as a precision rifle, to me, its not what they were designed for. Same with the HK417. Both fantastic guns, but IMO aimed more at the battle rifle role vs. precision.

Armalite, Sig 716, M&P10, etc... are no where NEAR in the same category as the above guns.

These are the typical responses you can expect from certain members of this forum.
I have met experienced Force recon scout snipers that didn't know shit about selecting a rifle, optic or ammunition, yet they were highly successful warfighters and damn fine marksman.
Just like most cops, they shoot what they are issued.

I'm not sure where the OP is, there are several routes he can take to get there.
Interestingly enough, when you consider that the AR platform was originally designed around the 7.62x51, and was proven to be accurate and reliable in the original testing, they have serious problems making reliable AR10 pattern rifles.

First, you need to decide what mag system you want to run FAL or AR10.
My brother recently bought a Rock River, it shoots very well indeed with his handloads, but he certainly had issues with reliability at first. Rock River has an LE division for agency sales.
GAP is reputed to build a fine rifle, and would be well worth the investment, however other folks build fine AR10's also.
Les Baer build a very fine rifle and you may be able to spec one out to meet your requirements.

You think this beacuse you are short sighting and ignorant.

Who selects the weapons that your "force recon scout snipers" use? Think about that and then get back to me.

The origional AR in 7.62 is not even close to the same as our current SR-25 pattern guns, and who says its accurate and reliable? You mean durring unscientific, unspecific testing that was done. It was so reliable that the barrel exploded durring testing and they outright removed it from consideration due to it needing drastic engineering and manufacturing revisions before it could even be tested........................

Furthermore, No one in the right mind would be reccomending these type of rifle to LE, unless they have a SPECIFIC NEED & TRAINING, and UNDERSTANDING of why they would choose this. There is virtualy zero advantage over a M4 for carbine/rifle duties and as a primary sniper/marksman rifle, it is also a poor choice. It MAY be a decent option for a spotter's weapon/backup to the primary bolt. Considering the types of engagements that LE will get into, and the lack of training (especialy running semi-precision rigs) it is a flat out horrible idea to run one as a primary gun.

Putting an arbitary price limit like $3500 just shows, there is zero need for this equipment, just some retard with a badge who wants to buy something cool.

The fact you would even reccomend some shit garbage commercial brand like RRA beacuse "dur muy brova haz one and its shootz da tiney holez wit handloads" as justification for an agency/duty purchase removes all your legitemacy from speaking on this topic.

I'm not in LE but why this platform? Do they already have quality Ar15? Quality ar15's paired with bolt guns seems like better options to me.

I'm not in LE but why this platform? Do they already have quality Ar15? Quality ar15's paired with bolt guns seems like better options to me.

Why put in all the blood sweat and tears of being a warfighter when you can just buy queer gear with taxpayer dollars and get tac'ed up for a coffee run to Dunkin Donuts or a DUI checkpoint.

Lwrc REPR would be my recommendation. I love mine, its accurate, reliable and the quality of craftsmanship is better than the KAC rifles i have shot.

I don't hate police. I know there are way more good cops than bad cops. The problem is at the top. They are putting a system and mentality in place that will not have a happy ending for all involved.

Recommendations for a duty AR-10

Why put in all the blood sweat and tears of being a warfighter when you can just buy queer gear with taxpayer dollars and get tac'ed up for a coffee run to Dunkin Donuts or a DUI checkpoint.
Why put all that blood sweat and tears into being a pog get all "tac'ed" up for a Internet forum fight or to show off a your badass cab on the internet. Sit down shut up and stop wasting this guy's time with your pointless rants and LE hating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd say to go with GAP, LMT, JP, and POF. In that order. Personal opinion.
And no, don't even consider an RRA. Not even close to being reliable enough.

If they don't know what kind of equipment they should be running, then they don't need to run that type of equipment.
Just what we need, more under-trained and undereducated LEO's with more firepower and no idea how to employ it. Sounds like a winner to me.
So like I said, if some retard with a badge has to come to an Internet forum to decide what kind of duty weapon he should be using, then he has ZERO business making such decisions for himself, herself or anyone else.

You think this beacuse (because) you are short sighting (sighted) and ignorant.

Who selects the weapons that your "force recon scout snipers" use? Think about that and then get back to me.

The origional (original) AR in 7.62 is not even close to the same as our current SR-25 pattern guns, and who says its accurate and reliable? You mean durring (during) unscientific, unspecific testing that was done. It was so reliable that the barrel exploded durring (during) testing and they outright removed it from consideration due to it needing drastic engineering and manufacturing revisions before it could even be tested........................

Furthermore, No one in the right mind would be reccomending (recommending) these type of rifle to LE, unless they have a SPECIFIC NEED & TRAINING, and UNDERSTANDING of why they would choose this. There is virtualy (virtually) zero advantage over a (an) M4 for carbine/rifle duties and as a primary sniper/marksman rifle, it is also a poor choice. It MAY be a decent option for a spotter's weapon/backup to the primary bolt. Considering the types of engagements that LE will get into, and the lack of training (especialy [especially] running semi-precision rigs) it is a flat out horrible idea to run one as a primary gun.

Putting an arbitary (arbitrary) price limit like $3500 just shows, there is zero need for this equipment, just some retard with a badge who wants to buy something cool.

The fact you would even reccomend (recommend) some shit garbage commercial brand like RRA beacuse (because) "dur muy brova haz one and its shootz da tiney holez wit handloads" as justification for an agency/duty purchase removes all your legitemacy (legitimacy) from speaking on this topic.
(Edits mine)

Cobra, I'll only say this once, and you can come back to it repeatedly: you're acting like an unmitigated ass. There's a lot more I could say, but that'd just be my personal opinion of your merits as a person and the value of your contribution to society lately, so we can skip that. Your attitude needs serious improvement. Every thread I've read lately I see your negativity. Suck it up and get over it. If you're having a bad day, get off the computer, get outside and shoot.

Now I'll give you an answer to your question. I know you don't really want one, and you're just ranting because you're pissed. But you asked the damn question, so I'm going to answer it.

You did ask a valid question. Why is someone asking what equipment to get on an internet forum? Maybe, just MAYBE, it is because this forum, apart from a few Grade-A asshole members, is known as a place where many very experienced, very skilled shooters hang out, and frequently give generously of their knowledge to those who haven't had the ability to try out as much gear. (Isn't there also a very nice sticky-ed thread about attacking the OP for a "stupid" question?)

You made several large assumptions. You assumed that because the OP asked for advice, that he in particular is, and LEOs in general are, "undertrained and undereducated", and will have no idea what to do with the firearm they're looking at purchasing. This is absurd. Most military members are less educated than the average LEO. They're armed with far more powerful weaponry than a semi-automatic .30 caliber rifle. They seem to do well with it, without killing their colleagues or bystanders frequently. Maybe we should confiscate all those guns that "undereducated and undertrained" civilians have, too...

Don't fall into the trap of assuming that because you have had some military experience or training (if you have), that your shit don't stink. You didn't know everything, you had to be trained, and you still don't know everything. Most LEOs are willing to admit that they don't know everything, and ask for advice or help when they don't have an answer. The ones that won't admit that are the biggest problems. You apparently know next to nothing about law enforcement policies, procedures, training, and needs, and still think that you know something that the OP doesn't.

You seem to have a problem with the general concept of an LE agency using a semi-automatic precision rifle. You allege that there's virtually no advantage that a 7.62x51 rifle provides over a 5.56x45 carbine. I'll refer you to my sig, quoting Buckley. Check the ballistics and you'll rapidly realize there is a large advantage there. You may not understand it, but there is an increasing risk that LE will have to deal with doped-up, armed, and belligerent criminals. Even a small-caliber rifle takes time to put them down. You allege that LE shouldn't use a semi-auto rifle as a primary marksman's rifle because of "the types of engagements that LE will get into, and the lack of training." What do you know about the types of engagements or lack of training that LE encounters? Are you familiar with the OP's agency, their training, and their needs? Are you aware of that area's typical SWAT callout, and projected worst-case scenarios? (Assuming that the OP is really LE, which neither of us know for certain.)

Since when does it fall to you to determine what is or is not acceptable for an agency, with which you have nothing to do, to employ? Cobra, you further allege that, "Putting an arbitary (arbitrary) price limit like $3500 just shows, there is zero need for this equipment, just some retard with a badge who wants to buy something cool." Actually, it probably indicates that someone would rather buy stickers and new computers and desk chairs for the Chief and administrator's offices than buy new equipment for any of the "retard" cops that actually work for them. If you had any personal experience in LE you'd probably know that you'll never have all the gear you NEED, let alone all the gear you want, because you're the lowest priority in a budget that also feeds social programs, low-budget housing, and the pet projects of all the local politicians. Squeaky wheels get the grease, except if you squeak as LE; then you get the boot instead, and a more politically pliable chief gets appointed.

What people should really be worried about is the militarization of our domestic police forces. There is a reason why police are committing acts of violence on the American people. They are being taught they are in a war zone and their enemy is the American people. DHS (America's SS) bribes them with military hardware. It is all part of the plan to create an US and THEM mentality.
You should be afraid. Things have changed.

US police departments are increasingly militarised, finds report | Law | theguardian.com
US police departments are increasingly militarized, finds report.
The American people are the enemy.

Dave, among the American people are school shooters, hardline Islamic extremists, gang members, murderers, rapists, and thieves. They ARE the enemy. If you're not aware of that, pay attention to the world around you. Assuming that because most Americans are stand-up, flag-waving, apple-pie good citizens, that ALL Americans are, is a really good way to get killed in any inner-city neighborhood. That would be incredibly naive. You need to realize that there is a heavily armed and violent sector of society with no respect for you, your property, the laws you follow, and the people that enforce those laws. They'd happily kill you for your shoes.

Police aren't committing "acts of violence on the American people" in any statistically significant number. If you were around in the 60's-80's you should have panicked then. The police were better armed and more violent then than they are now. They had M16 and Garand rifles and Thompson M1 submachine guns. Don't buy the "Mayberry" and "Good old days" hype. Many a citizen got his teeth knocked out for attitude. That rarely happens anymore thanks to better control and documentation. The days of the "good old boys club" covering up their own shenanigans are long gone. You, too, should get off the computer. The black helicopters are not coming for you. Stay off "infowars," ignore Alex Jones, and don't cite The Guardian citing the ACLU (!?) about violence, police, and guns.

Also, see below.

Why put all that blood sweat and tears into being a pog get all "tac'ed" up for a Internet forum fight or to show off a your badass cab on the internet. Sit down shut up and stop wasting this guy's time with your pointless rants and LE hating.

Well said. Ha.

Smcarroll, for you, I'll even throw in a nice (consensual) hug. Sensitivity training, you know.

Smcarroll, for you, I'll even throw in a nice (consensual) hug. Sensitivity training, you know.

I am sure there are plenty of good cops out there, when I meet one I will let you know. Its been my unfortunate experience to have only met militant, arrogant, civil rights abusing assholes wearing all sorts of badges. They are the strong right arm of a government that doesn't have my best interests at hand. Its not the criminals that keep me aware, well armed and constantly bettering my skills.

I am sure there are plenty of good cops out there, when I meet one I will let you know. Its been my unfortunate experience to have only met militant, arrogant, civil rights abusing assholes wearing all sorts of badges. They are the strong right arm of a government that doesn't have my best interests at hand. Its not the criminals that keep me aware, well armed and constantly bettering my skills.

When things go haywire, you'll be on the same side as a lot of militant, arrogant, assholes from both the military and LE. And once you get to know them you'll find out they're about the same as any other group. Some good ones, some bad ones, a few you'll be great friends with, and a lot you can work with. I've seen a lot of people mistake their local LE for the real problem. The real problem is a group of arrogant pinheads who don't bother to represent anything but their own interests. Some of that extends into local LE at times. I've heard stories from some friends in places I won't name that definitely indicate that the abuses of power and "good ol' boy" situation survives in at least some corrupt LE agencies in rural parts of the South and the Midwest. For those unfortunate enough to have to live with that, I say document EVERYTHING, and watch your back.

You're likely very lucky in your location. The urban criminal, and the Michigan jihadi, will not be going out into rural Montana/Wyoming looking for victims. That's a dangerous hunting ground with very scattered population who aren't likely to just roll over and be victimized.

MKSMN, like I said, I don't hate cops. But, if you honestly can't see how the police have been militarized over the last decade, you are delusional. The whole thing was done in the name of fighting "the terrorists". Well, the average person stands more of a chance of dying of a bee sting than being attacked by a terrorist. As a matter of fact, most so-called terrorist busts usually involve the FBI running a patsy and giving the "terrorist" the tools to do the job.

Fake terror plots, paid informants: the tactics of FBI 'entrapment' questioned | World news | theguardian.com

Even worse, the real terrorists are often funded by the USA to do their bad things. The west is giving money to al qaeda in Syria. ISIS is funded by the west also. Heck, a quick youtube search will easily show US Marines admitting to helping grow the opium in Afghanistan.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news...let-funds-flow-to-al-qaeda-in-syria/?page=all

US troops grow opium in Afghanistan

http://www.globalresearch.ca/drug-w...ds-to-all-time-high-heroin-production/5358053

They have used fear to corrupt the minds of the public and many in law enforcement. I am sure you are aware that your leaders even have police training to shoot pregnant ladies, children, and old men.

DHS training with practice targets featuring children, pregnant woman? | Washington Times Communities

DHS (America's SS) has infiltrated most law enforcement circles. People used to tell me I was crazy when I spoke of the fact that the government spies on your phone, email, texts, and even spoken conversation in public. Now, it is just a matter of known fact.

I don't think you are a bad guy. You believe you are doing a good thing. But, many of your peers are drunk on their power and their role as my protector. They have that role because many of us have been disarmed.

America is very quickly surpassing the dystopic novel, 1984. You need to remove your "cop" glasses and look around.

Last edited:
When things go haywire, you'll be on the same side as a lot of militant, arrogant, assholes from both the military and LE. And once you get to know them you'll find out they're about the same as any other group. Some good ones, some bad ones, a few you'll be great friends with, and a lot you can work with. I've seen a lot of people mistake their local LE for the real problem. The real problem is a group of arrogant pinheads who don't bother to represent anything but their own interests. Some of that extends into local LE at times. I've heard stories from some friends in places I won't name that definitely indicate that the abuses of power and "good ol' boy" situation survives in at least some corrupt LE agencies in rural parts of the South and the Midwest. For those unfortunate enough to have to live with that, I say document EVERYTHING, and watch your back.

You're likely very lucky in your location. The urban criminal, and the Michigan jihadi, will not be going out into rural Montana/Wyoming looking for victims. That's a dangerous hunting ground with very scattered population who aren't likely to just roll over and be victimized.

I grew up in michigan. I left because of the jackbooted assholes in the MSP and the DNR. I am dug in like a tick and prepared for the end of the world.

I'd say to go with GAP, LMT, JP, and POF. In that order. Personal opinion.
And no, don't even consider an RRA. Not even close to being reliable enough.

Snipping out all the long winded bullshit

1. Opinion on an Internet forum is now one's contribution to society? Nice logical leap there. I am honest, brutally honest. You are either ignorant or you are in denial. I am not going to paint you some rosy bullshit picture, because it's just not my style. If your looking for that, you came to the wrong place.

2. Assumptions are made based on the OP's actual post. It reeks of inexperience and the post paints a picture of the situation based on the information presented and the lack of information. A trained marksman (you know the type that would ACTUALLY employ the weapon system he is asking about) would not be asking such stupid and rudimentary questions. They would already realize that that price would be a joke for a weapon system. You are oblivious to the details that reveal more than the simple words.

3. PLEASE show me where criminals are running around with superior weaponry. Please show me where they have armored vehicles or are engaging in the type of combat and acts of violence, in numbers, that would require a semi-automatic large caliber weapon system to engage them at long range.............. Sounds like you buy into the LEO bullshit that you need MRAPS, Grenade launchers, anti-armor weaponry and 240B's to handle all these new threats?

4. I have no problem with LEO using a AR-10 or similar gun for a marksmanship role as long as they have the training and experience to employ them. 99.99% of engagements will be handled with one shot from a bolt gun, and we all know the increased skill it takes to employ a semi-precision rig. I don't like the idea of under trained and inexperienced officers being giving equipment they don't understand and don't know how to use. With weeks of marksmanship training with a sidearm, the majority of LEO's are still piss poor shots. All agencies care about is lowest common denominator annual or semi annual qualifications than any novice shooter would be able to clean the course.

5. When it comes to employing Semi-precision systems, members of the Military who actual used and have been around those systems will almost universally know more than any civilian or leo. It's a function of experience and being there. You bringing up my military service just makes you look like a jackass when it was never part of the discussion. Nice try.

6. YOU have a clear ignorance of ballistics, terminal effects, armor penetration ability and overall bullet effects on target. Hitting someone center mass with a .308 and with a 5.56 is not going to have drastically different terminal effects. Both will result in pass through at distance and both will require CNS/Vital hits to terminate the threat immediately. 5.56 actual has better AP properties than .308 due to speed and common bullet construction (M855 vs 147gr FMJ or 175GR SMK). 5.56 will be easier to shoot, have less recoil, better Lvl3 armor penetration, have more capacity, will be lighter and will be easier to make hits with. There is zero advantage unless you plan to engage targets over 600 yards.

7. I as the taxpayer, DO have a say. It's MY money that is funding this stupidity. Public service and all that shit.....

8. Please explain to me how a piece of equipment with zero support given to personal with little to no training benefits anyone? I can give you plenty of reasons why it is a LIABILITY.

9. You sound like a scared little bitch. There are LESS threats and LESS violence now then there has EVER been in US history. Perhaps a little community policing and actually doing your fucking jobs would have better results than speed traps , entrapment and creating a militarized force that only makes the situation worse. There is a reason most people dislike cops. There is a most people do not trust cops. Your attitude of us vs them is a large factory in why things are the way they are.

An overreaching government, SS esque DHS and Militarization of the Police are a GREATER threat to the American public and the constitution than any Islamic terrorist, gang member or common criminal could ever be. This is what you fail to understand.